Question about a recent issue I had

11 hours ago, petshark said:

It was a long shot. If you didn't adjust the free play, it can only have gotten a little looser from the cable stretching. I don't think your issue can be related to this. So it's still a mystery to me but I'm glad they sorted it out under warranty. Hopefully you can resume that trip in the near future.

Btw, great to see another Belgian on the forum. 😎

Ye we will see how it goes, its not an issue I should ever have again (hopefully) 

I managed to do Germany, switserland (umbrail pass) going to stelvio pass in italy, to croatia/slovenia/bosnia/Montenegro and i encountered the problem there, then I drove home using mainly highways.

So i managed to do a good part of the trip but my plan was also to do route des grand alpes but it will be for next year.. if the you know what situation allows it.

53 minutes ago, Kevin30 said:

Ye we will see how it goes, its not an issue I should ever have again (hopefully) 

I managed to do Germany, switserland (umbrail pass) going to stelvio pass in italy, to croatia/slovenia/bosnia/Montenegro and i encountered the problem there, then I drove home using mainly highways.

So i managed to do a good part of the trip but my plan was also to do route des grand alpes but it will be for next year.. if the you know what situation allows it.

I'm planning to do the Umbrail and Stelvio passes as well in the next few weeks!

It's my first time there so any tips you might want to share are always welcome.

33 minutes ago, petshark said:

I'm planning to do the Umbrail and Stelvio passes as well in the next few weeks!

It's my first time there so any tips you might want to share are always welcome.

I would just say the basics.. dont overload your motorcycle or make it top heavy (if u use a topcase especially) 

Ride your own ride, at whatever pace is comfortable for you. It was also my first time there and many overtook me which is fine, my priority is to get myself and the motorcycle home in one piece.

What worked best in all the tight bends there was to downshift to first before the corner, select a riding line, never stop giving power to the rear wheel and to decide my speed with the rear brake. I found this to give me the most grip. The sensation that the bike wants to fall mainly happens when I was going too slow, stopped giving the rear wheel power. 

Some corners I had to take really slow because of traffic and once I start having to use my clutch it became alot more difficult for me.

Also, its cold on top. I did it early june and downstairs it was 30 and upstairs it was 5 and raining. So keep that in mind. Close your vents and wear an extra layer if needed before u start going up

• Thanks 1

Great tips, thanks!

6 hours ago, Kevin30 said:

What worked best in all the tight bends there was to downshift to first before the corner, select a riding line, never stop giving power to the rear wheel and to decide my speed with the rear brake. I found this to give me the most grip. The sensation that the bike wants to fall mainly happens when I was going too slow, stopped giving the rear wheel power. 

I've done a day-course with a segment about hairpins and was taught exactly what you say: don't be afraid of 1st gear/no clutch/use rear brake to control speed. I often find time to do slow speed exercises on a parking lot so I should be good there hopefully.

17 minutes ago, petshark said:

Great tips, thanks!

I've done a day-course with a segment about hairpins and was taught exactly what you say: don't be afraid of 1st gear/no clutch/use rear brake to control speed. I often find time to do slow speed exercises on a parking lot so I should be good there hopefully.

Gotta be in the right gear and set up right for twisties. Confidemce builds with practice. Most say dont brake in curves, but you have to kno how to do it. Grab too much brake and you sit straight up and off into a ditch. Do it right and look smooth whilook e scrubbing off speed. BUT, there is no medal for getting in over your head and crashing. Dont ride with anyone who belittles you for lagging behind! Screw that.

• Thumbsup 1

Yes exactly.. the first few hairpin turns might feel abit uncomfortable but the more u do it gets better. And yes as u say, if u want to practice abit before u go, go to an emtpy parking lot and do tight u-turns without using the clutch and just throttle/rear brake thats what comes closest to what u will do there.

Ofc u can use front brake too, just gently. If u really come in hot before a turn u willl have no choice but too use it.

But I would say, just relax and have fun it was also a first time for me and I had no courses or experience but things figure themselves out quick aslong as u ride within your comfort zone. And feel how the bike behaves.

• Thumbsup 1