Increase Ground Clearance - Possible or not?

Hello everyone! I was just wondering; would it be possible to, somehow, increase the ground clearance on my Tracer 900? Besides adjusting the preload, what are my options? Changing the front fork and rear shock altogether? I saw a video on YouTube where some guy in india added 2 machined cilinders to the stock forks and raised the handlebar...

I'd love to turn it into a "proper adventure / trail bike" of sorts...

Thoughts and tips please? Thank you!

Capture.PNG

Edited by ShedMoto

• Supporting Member

I would say my best answer to you is go out and buy an old KLR and abuse that off road. The Tracer has to many expensive parts that hang to low ( oil pan ). Trying to make the Tracer into a trail bike would kill all the things that make it a great handling road bike.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, ShedMoto said:

Hello everyone! I was just wondering; would it be possible to, somehow, increase the ground clearance on my Tracer 900? Besides adjusting the preload, what are my options? Changing the front fork and rear shock altogether? I saw a video on YouTube where some guy in india added 2 machined cilinders to the stock forks and raised the handlebar...

Capture.PNG

Read through the various past posts about forum members cracking open the oil sump and needing to get a tow truck or trailer it home. 
The Tracer is NOT a “proper adventure / trail bike”.   Safe enough for well groomed gravel or dirt roads with only 5” ground clearance but anything more than that use extreme caution. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, ShedMoto said:

Capture.PNG

Bigger front wheel???

2E057F14-BCFE-4315-91B7-F7647C9738E0.jpeg

• Haha 2

A friend of mine bought spoke after market wheels for his Tracer. I think the front was a 19". Along with a skid plate he's properly abused the bike and it's done just fine. Although he did get it several feet in the air and bent the dog bones on landing... So maybe keep the jumps minimal.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

That's a great build!

Although...more work than I'd be willing to do.  Why not just get a second bike.

Still cool, though.  I get why someone might want to mod it up to suit the riding they want to do.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Yes, a second bike is a good way to go. I ended up building the Dirt Ninja because I wanted the challenge of building it and it was a very budget-friendly way to go. Having two bikes also limits down time if one bike needs service. 

zznko4P0e5wcLdaWGXjoE6ZsgnqUDv2ztnPVq4_h

• Thumbsup 2