Best tires

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Do you know if the 07 and 09 tires are interchangeable as well (again, ABS sensor allowing)?

I’m really not sure but like @Mr.Jeem mentioned, the part number should be able to be cross referenced. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 8/15/2021 at 9:13 AM, PhotoAl said:

I had S20s and S21s on my ZX6R and was impressed with them.  Good traction in the wet and did well in the cold.  Don't last as long as the Road 5s but didn't do long trips on the ZX6R although I did do 600 miles in a day.  My CBR600RR could pull the front wheel up in 1st gear on wet pavement with the Road 3s - a while back.  CBR was a 2012 that came with Dunlap Qualifiers (not Q2 or Q3) and they were easy to spin up in cold or wet - nothing like dirt tracking onto the interstate when the rear spins up unexpectedly at 70mph!

I did S21's on my little 500 twin and would get about 8,000 miles out of them, which included a trackday. I think I'm going to do the same thing for my Tracer with the S22's as I just know them and don't have to worry about time and effort to buy and test new tires.

• Supporting Member
Just now, jamespz03 said:

I did S21's on my little 500 twin and would get about 8,000 miles out of them, which included a trackday. I think I'm going to do the same thing for my Tracer with the S22's as I just know them and don't have to worry about time and effort to buy and test new tires.

That’s a good choice, I have used the S20, S21 and S22 for day rides in the twisties as well as road trips and they are great tires. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Put Continental Road Attacks on the FJR I had and they transformed the bike. Lots of grip and no scrub in necessary. Put them on and hit the twisties. I plan to put them on my '21 Tracer when the Battlax's wear out. 

• Thumbsup 1

I am thinking about going back to sport touring tires for the Tracer and will probably give the Roadsmart 4 a try.  I ran a set of the Roadsmart 3 after the stock D222's were worn out and they worked well with plenty of grip and good mileage.  

For outright feel, grip and confidence nothing I have tried so far is a match for the Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2.  Yes, they are a bit more than most sport rubber, and the rear is usually shot by around 2000 miles, but the performance is amazing.  To be honest, they are probably overkill for a bike like the Tracer but they take the fun factor up to 10 out of 10.  The Dunlop Q3 Plus is a very close second, costs a bit less and is probably a better value proposition for sport rubber. 

Truth be told, a good sport touring tire is more versatile, lasts much longer and probably offers more than enough performance for anything we should be doing on public roads, but sport rubber ratchets up the fun factor!!

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:44 PM, Mr.Jeem said:

I have no idea. I have a 2019. You could look it up by looking at the parts online by year. That should tell you.

I'm not talking about years, by 07 and 09 I meant MT07 and MT09.  I've got a 2019 Tracer as well.  

It's more complicated though because IIRC the spoke patterns are different (thus different part numbers) but that doesn't necessarily mean the wheels themselves are incompatible.  

Not really sure how to find out, though.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:30 AM, betoney said:

That’s a good choice, I have used the S20, S21 and S22 for day rides in the twisties as well as road trips and they are great tires. 

For sure.  They're not as good as Road 5's in heavy rain, but they're definitely good enough and are substanitially cheaper.   I'm pretty happy with them overall. 

• Like 1