Best tires

I'm currently running Pirelli Angel GT's on my 2019 Tracer GT. The local bike shop wants to sell me Dunlops, I didn't care for them on my Honda ST. I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Road GT5's for staying with Pirelli. Any thoughts?

I haven't run the Roadsmart 3s or 4s. I had a set of Angel GTs on my 2015 FJ and got the most mileage out of any tires yet. I got 3,600 miles out of a set of those. Have been interested in the Michelins but now that I have my own No-Mar Tire Changer I'm on Sport bike tires again just because they give me such confidence. I only get about 1,800 to 2,000 miles out of a set of sport bike tires but that's enough for 1 meet and I change 'em myself. 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member

Running Road 5's and love them.  Fantastic traction and decent road feel.  Had no problem in high mountain passes at 5 deg C and rain.

I think "best tires" is subjective - really depends what kind of riding you want to do, your budget, and how often you're willing to change them out.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

1 minute ago, knyte said:

Running Road 5's and love them.  Fantastic traction and decent road feel.  Had no problem in high mountain passes at 5 deg C and rain.

I think "best tires" is subjective - really depends what kind of riding you want to do, your budget, and how often you're willing to change them out.

I had them on the ST and really loved them. After a year of the Pirelli's, I've been very happy with them too.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Mr.Jeem said:

The local bike shop wants to sell me Dunlops, I didn't care for them on my Honda ST.

Which Dunlop tire?  Dunlop makes many different tire models.  Nearly ANY modern tire will give you good handling and longevity,  everyone will have their preference as 'feel' is subjective.  I have used Dunlop, Michelin, Shinko, Pirelli and Bridgestone, I currently use Bridgestone -in my opinion- the price vs performance cant be beat.  I have 2 rear rims that I swap back and forth regularly, one with a sport-touring tire and the other with a sport tire.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'm running Dunlop RoadSmart3s and love them. I would've gone for the Michelin Road 5 but I don't ride in the wet much.

I'm on my second set of RS3s... Got 22k kms on the front tire (it was pretty much dead by then) and 15k on my first rear. I pretty much only ride for pleasure and look for the twisty roads. Should stand up to commuting on highway just as well because of the harder compound down the middle of the tire.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Hi @Mr.Jeem - Tires are, of course, a highly subjective topic.  I’ve run Michelin PR4, Road5, and currently Dunlop RS3 on my FJ.  The Michelins and Dunlops have surprisingly different characteristics, so your preference will likely depend on what attributes you put at the top of your list.  

In an effort to provide specific feedback on the differences I found, I wrote up this post a year or so back:   

That entire thread is actually worth a read if you have the time.  

One update since I wrote that post: I will definitely be going back to the Michelins when these RS3s are done.   At about 3K miles the steering feedback is getting more & more vague, and the rear has taken on a very odd triangular wear pattern.   They’ll be done well before 4K miles.  The Michelins went 5k+ miles, and performed consistently & predictably all the way to the bitter end.  

As always, these are my opinions & experiences, and you mileage may vary.  Literally. :) 

• Thumbsup 4

Current Front is a Michelin Pilot Power 5 which is more of a hyper sport tire but good in the wet.  Rear is a Michelin Road 5.

Just put a new front on and about to have a new rear mounted.  Front had about 8,000 miles and had some scalloping but rode fine.  I've read different things about the effects of scalloping (cupping) and most seem to think it does not affect handling but is just the way the tire wears.  Leaving in a few days for a 5,000 mile trip and do not want to have any issues towards the end so decided to just throw money away and put a new front on.  Rear has 5,000 miles and looks very good but I'm not sure I can get 10,000 miles out of a rear so I have a new rear to mount.  I like to have a bit of fun in the mountains but do not push the bike as hard as it can go but still want good secure traction.  I have come very close to going to Dunlaps but it really is hard to try something new when I have tires that I like.  I'm going to back off of the rebound on the front a little to see if that helps.  I ran the pressure at 38 instead of 36 on the last trip and it seemed to slow down the scalloping.  Don't want to run too much though as it can affect handling.  My biggest problem is the distance to get to the mountains when I go out west.  From Alabama to Laramie WY is 1,500 miles almost all straight.  

As mentioned above tires are subjective.  IMO all of the newer sport touring tires are good and will do well in the wet and dry.  Michelin used to have a good lead in wet traction but believe others have pretty much caught up.  I know folks that run other brands and are very happy with them.  

+1 for the Road 5’s

I ran both the Roadsmart 3’s and the Road 5’s on my last BMW R1200RS.  The Dunlop’s performed very, very poorly in cold temperatures. I don’t think that’s a problem you have to deal with in DFW, but I spun the rear up way too many times on dry pavement with no warning. It bothered me enough that I dumped them after only 2k miles. Went with the Road 5’s and loved them. Went through 2 sets, both lasted over 12k with no drama in all weather and temperature conditions. Will be getting a set for the GT soon, at 5k miles on the stock 222 crap tires and I’m down to the wear bars.

• Thumbsup 3

Used the RoadSmart 3 on my previous Honda. Worked well enough, but needed time to warm up. Which they don’t in our winter. So changed to the Michelin Road 5’s, which were as expected.

As said, all recent mayor brand tires are very good, certainly in comparison to 10 years ago. And those were not bad at all.

So you can’t really miss, differences are small and also the personal opinions on them.

• Premium Member

Yanked the stinking stock tires off in less than 500 miles on both my brand new 09s. Put the Bridgestone S22's on and there's no reason for me to try anything else. Get three new sets of tires on sale in the spring and you're covered.

• Like 1

I know that tires are subjective, everyone prefers their own brand. In the past I've been very happy with Michelin PR4 & 5's. Currently I have no problems with the Pirelli's, just thinking ahead for the next tire change. Want to switch to 90degree valve stems and maybe a TPM system.