metal sound when in neutral and clutch lever is out.

Rdecae81

• Supporting Member

The FJ's clutch baskets are pretty noisy, too.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

2 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

oil was recently changed, oil level is fine.  I have ridden BMW bikes for last 30 years

now I have the Tracer GT.  And I am just getting to learn/know the bike

my top issue with the tracer

footpeg vibrations (new pegs ordered)

mounting mounts for Garmin XT, Phone, GoPro camera (still working on a solution)

Auxilary plug in for gerbings.  All my old gear/gadgets are set up for PowerLet and the Tracer GT uses USA cigarette receptacles.  (not a major problem as I can do electrical work and I will change out existing receptacle to PowerLet, and add two more powerlet receptacles)

so far my top 3 major likes

low weight

low weight

low weight

OK - on the oil issue just ruling that out. Most times you can't tell the experience of people on these forums and somethings they have no clue. Sounds like you have to get used to the sound on the Tracer. I just rode home on my R1200RS and started up the Tracer as I swapped bikes in the garage and the tracer was so smooth and there was no nuts and bolts type rattle, unlike you-know-who.

Weather is getting cooler, even here in Houston, so I will also be doing the heated gear pigtail installation to the battery. Should take all of 10 minutes.

No real vibration issue with mine that cannot be called normal. I already have mounting for the other stuff you mentioned and they all work well. If interested you can check out my YouTube channel as all my installs are there.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

17 hours ago, Skidood said:

Interesting..my 2019 Tracer does not have the rattle sound whatsoever.  But its only got 5200 km on it....

Mine had a different noise, clutch in vs. clutch out, when new.  Now at ~25000kms, it sounds downright awful when cold once you've put it into gear and ridden a bit, then put it in neutral and let the clutch out.  It's fine on startup, but once those parts have moved around, they're noisy.  It dies down a bit with temp, but it's still very much noticable.

• Thumbsup 2

Completely normal to have rattle when in neutral with the clutch lever out (clutch engaged).  I've ridden every variant of CP3 bike at Yamaha demos over several years and they all have it.  It's less noticeable on 2018+ models because they started putting an insulated plastic cover over top of the metal clutch cover which dampens the sound a little, whereas 2015-2017s just have a little plastic leg guard piece.

I didn't think to check if 2021 Tracer 9 GT had it when I rode it.  It doesn't bug me anyway.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:35 PM, stevesweetz said:

Completely normal to have rattle when in neutral with the clutch lever out (clutch engaged).  I've ridden every variant of CP3 bike at Yamaha demos over several years and they all have it.  It's less noticeable on 2018+ models because they started putting an insulated plastic cover over top of the metal clutch cover which dampens the sound a little, whereas 2015-2017s just have a little plastic leg guard piece.

I didn't think to check if 2021 Tracer 9 GT had it when I rode it.  It doesn't bug me anyway.

This is exactly right.  my old FZ-09 had it to.  heck many of my japanese bikes had the clutch rattle to some degree.  My Tuono V4 was the worst but it's the nature of the beast and seems to be more prevalent on slipper clutches as well.