metal sound when in neutral and clutch lever is out.

Rdecae81

just bought a 2019.  14K miles.  when I come to a stop light and but the bike in neutral and let out the clutch lever I get a metal/grinding sound

as soon as I pull in the clutch it goes away.  is this normal on a Tracer GT?

53 minutes ago, Rdecae81 said:

just bought a 2019.  14K miles.  when I come to a stop light and but the bike in neutral and let out the clutch lever I get a metal/grinding sound

No this should not be happening and does not happen on my 2019 Tracer 900 GT. Suggest you record it and upload here for us to get an idea what you are referring to.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

15 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

Trust bearing rattle, mine's been doing that since new and has now done 24k kms. No other problems. Think my Suzuki Bandit used to do that too and also a car I had.

I would call it a rattle like a bag of bolts or metal being shaken in a bag.

My FJ 09 does it all the time.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

On 10/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, Grumpy Goat said:

Big difference between a rattle and grinding ... OP needs to clarify and if possible put up a sound clip. Or take it to a reputable mechanic.

Agreed. Rattle in wet clutches is normal, common, healthy, etc. 

Whether this crosses the line into something worse is hard to say from the other side of the intarwebnets.

If there are no sparklies in the oil, odds are 99.99999% this is nothing to worry about. It's a noisy engine, and this is one of those noises.

Maybe the OP needs better ear plugs...?

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

you are correct it is more of a rattle.  the description above,  "bag of bolts being shaken", is very accurate 🙂

Thanks for clarifying. Probably normal. Do you have any other [similar] bike you can compare it to?

What is the oil level? If it is OK and you're still concerned, I would do an oil change with the correct oil to make sure any mistake by the previous owner doesn't continue.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

oil was recently changed, oil level is fine.  I have ridden BMW bikes for last 30 years

R80RT

R1100RT

R1200ST

Tuono

S1000r

and R1100s, K75RT and K1200RS sprinkled in there. BMW clutches are much different, so probably not a reasonable comparison.

I did have a 2004 ABS FJR 1300 for 13 years, but I do not remember the noise in the clutch, but it was mostly my wife's FJR

now I have the Tracer GT.  And I am just getting to learn/know the bike

my top issue with the tracer

footpeg vibrations (new pegs ordered)

mounting mounts for Garmin XT, Phone, GoPro camera (still working on a solution)

Auxilary plug in for gerbings.  All my old gear/gadgets are set up for PowerLet and the Tracer GT uses USA cigarette receptacles.  (not a major problem as I can do electrical work and I will change out existing receptacle to PowerLet, and add two more powerlet receptacles)

so far my top 3 major likes

low weight

low weight

low weight