Powervision baby!

Larz

8 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Because 2015 to 16 are not OBDII compliant… they use the dash DIAG for FI system access and troubleshooting.

2017 on models are compliant (they use P type codes.

-Skip

Ok but it still connects to the ECU/ FI system, it is just a question of codes/ OBDII compliance, no ? I can see were that would confuse someone trying to use an OBD reader on a pre-'17 CP3....

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Larz said:

Ok but it still connects to the ECU/ FI system, it is just a question of codes/ OBDII compliance, no ? I can see were that would confuse someone trying to use an OBD reader on a pre-'17 CP3....

That is the 64,000 question (for those youngsters here, look up the reference).

Can you tune 15 & 16 ECU through the connector or must you remove the ECU?

Indeed, that is a worthy TV show question, eh. I can't answer it and guess SkipperT can't either ? Shoot an email to FuelMoto or better yet Dynojet if you can't wait.... I'll ask when I talk to them about my issue in the next week or so . ( my Issue? When I had the suspension done at an MV Augusta shop, I saw they had a nice new shiny Dyno, asked them to tune my bike while they had it. They could not because Ivan's uses some other type tuner, not Powervision, and the ECU was locked, So I just had them run it for some numbers. Very Idealistic young Dyno operator that thinks many of his peers are hucksters that manipulate Dyno settings for customer pleasing numbers, Was pretty bummed to see my bike only make 112 RWHP till he showed me a chart from a tune he'd recently done on an FZ-09 with a header that only made 114 RWHP. So I want to find out if the new PV3 overcomes locked ECU issue or if I again pull the ECU and ship back to Ivan's which would really jack up my blood pressure😡 

• Premium Member

There is 1 MV dealer in IL MCC) not too far from me but they have 0 in stock.

They also carry Triumph, KTM, Ducati and Zero with several of those brands in stock (no Duke 390, 890 or 1290 though).

Woodstock HD also carries KTM and Triumph. 

You don't see many of any of them on the road here.  And 0ZEROS, though MCC has several in stock.  Wonder if I could take a test ride on one later this summer.

Sorry for going off topic.

Let us know about the 15 & 16 issue.

I'm too busy to check flitting from doctor to doctor...

10 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You don't see many of any of them on the road here.  And 0ZEROS, though MCC has several in stock.  Wonder if I could take a test ride on one later this summer.

Sorry for going off topic.

Let us know about the 15 & 16 issue.

I'm too busy to check flitting from doctor to doctor...

No worries. Yep, the MVs are gorgeous bikes although I'd still prefer an Aprilla.  I'd like to try a zero but think the battery tech needs to mature before they are viable options. Ok, I'll post when I find out.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Larz said:

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

That is the 64,000 question (for those youngsters here, look up the reference).

Can you tune 15 & 16 ECU through the connector or must you remove the ECU?

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Indeed, that is a worthy TV show question, eh. I can't answer it and guess SkipperT can't either ? Shoot an email to FuelMoto or better yet Dynojet if you can't wait....

These guys might be able to answer your questions, they sell all FTECU cables and self-flashing kits.

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/pages/connect

Contact Us

13209 NE 126th Pl STE 460
Kirkland, WA 98034

(425) 269-5332
Tuesday-Friday: 10:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 4:00pm
Sunday-Monday: Closed

support@2wheeldynoworks.com
We reply within 24 hours

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

These guys might be able to answer your questions, they sell all FTECU cables and self-flashing kits.

Looks like a good outfit. Just a cursory look at the Datalink kit for both 2019&2015 CP3s and it appears they are the same kit; may mean nothing in regards to the question at hand since it is a harness you install on the bike so it can connect  the ECU( I'm guessing) to a laptop running Datalink software.....cool but probably means you have to take the laptop with you to do datalogging while riding. Used to have a TTS Mastertune for the Harley where you had to do that. I screwed up one day while flashing a new map to the ECM, Laptop battery was low from riding with it so I plugged it into AC power and promptly shorted out the ECM ( whoops whatta dumbass 🙃)

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

Pardon my lack of clarity here but is a FTECU cable = a proprietary FlashTune ECU cable for connecting a laptop directly to the ECU (with a Y-splitter?), and not through the resident diagnostic connector, for use with a proprietary program / software made by FlashTune?

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Pardon my lack of clarity here but is a FTECU cable = a proprietary FlashTune ECU cable for connecting a laptop directly to the ECU (with a Y-splitter?), and not through the resident diagnostic connector, for use with a proprietary program / software made by FlashTune?

kinda looks that way to me

Ah ha, I think this is what Ivan's is using via the bench harness and buying a license for each ECU he flashes; looks like you can buy packs of licenses, would guess a license comes with a harness and then you can download the software for free and that betoney had to buy the harness to run the Active tune. He should be able find out his license and then download software to tune with his harness and a laptop. Wonder if the harness is compatable with the Powervision, might just be a question of connectors.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, Larz said:

Sorry Larz, not sure what you are asking here. 
are you asking why a generic OBDII reader can’t connect to pre 17 FJ’s and MT’s?

if so, I don’t have a confirmed answer. I only know the FI code written inside the ECM doesn’t support P codes, so my guess is that is why. Proprietary Yamaha diagnostic software can connect via the 4P datalink connector.

as mentioned to 2and3Cyl I am not aware of a way to flash the ECM by a non dealer without removing it. I DO know that if Yamaha were to issue a flash update to the ECM, that file could be written to newer ECMs via the 4P connector using the Yamaha software. They have not ever issued such a flash update to any of the FJ models to my knowledge. There was an update issued that was supposed to tweak the YCC-T on first year FZ09’s, IIRC. 

Powervision for H-D connects via a similar diagnostic port. Those don’t allow reflashing in real time but neither do the Screaming Eagle  software that interfaces with the race tuners (which are NLA anyway after HD Had to pay all those epa fines). However the ECM can stay in the bike which is an advantage.

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification, and I look forward to hearing more about the PowervIsion.

I know Betoney is very happy with his system as are others and auto-tuning is really swell 🙄 but for now I will stick with what I've done because it works well enough (it's still a bit abrupt from off throttle to on even after adjusting the APS) because I've maxed out my own internal RAM and am frugal out of necessity and socialization.