Powervision baby!

Larz

@skipperTThanks Skip that is very informative!

Yeah I know a fair amount about the Powervision for Harley and why you have to shut off the bike ( can't be running) then turn the ignition on to actually flash the ECM- I just bought the Target Tune upgrade which does expand the range of the Long term trims, ie actually does change calibrations in the ECM while the bike is running, wonder if the EPA will go after Dynojet over it ? 

Yeah so far it looks that is what the Flash tune aftermarket cable harness does, enables flashing the older FJs with the ECM on the bike; however, with a Powervision the device is married to your ECM, without another PV license you can't use the device on another ECM. 

The Flash Tune harness is just cables, eh. But it comes with a license that is used to register the Datalink software package you download to a Laptop. Since it is just cables and software, without a way to marry the ECM to the software, you could buy one harness ( they have a bench harness as well as the bikeside harness) and flash as many ECMs as you liked- not good for profits. The downside is this locks your ECM to the Datalink software, nothing else, software or device like the PV can use the harness to read or flash the ECM. 

My issue with that is that there isn't disclosure- Ivan's didn't tell me my ECM would lock out any other software or device, just that I would have return the ECM to them to reset it stock format. Not to mention I didn't get a harness with my flash, so there is no way short of buying one myself to do any datalogging or tuning or buy the Active tune upgrade ( it is a small module that requires a separate license) and use it on my bike.

Arggh!

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ok well no Joy on either issue. PV3 will not work on a 2015 and will not unlock my ECU on the 2019. However, apparently Ivan's is using TTS Mastertune, given that according to the tech I talked at FuelMoto that is the only tuner that locks the ECU. So correct my assumption that the Datalink/Flash tuner stuff locks the ECU and looks like only viable option for older FJs is the Flashtuner harness. 

Damn guess I'm pulling the ECU again to get Ivan's to set it back to stock and then I can get a PV3 for her or maybe the harness and active tune.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Larz said:

Ok well no Joy on either issue. PV3 will not work on a 2015 and will not unlock my ECU on the 2019. However, apparently Ivan's is using TTS Mastertune, given that according to the tech I talked at FuelMoto that is the only tuner that locks the ECU. So correct my assumption that the Datalink/Flash tuner stuff locks the ECU and looks like only viable option for older FJs is the Flashtuner harness. 

Damn guess I'm pulling the ECU again to get Ivan's to set it back to stock and then I can get a PV3 for her or maybe the harness and active tune.

Wait, so your ECU is already flashed by Ivan?  If so, what is the benefit of wanting to spend $400+ on the PV3 on top of the $350 that you have already spent for Ivan’s flash?
maybe I am missing something here but wouldn’t the PV3 re-do everything that Ivan has already done?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Wait, so your ECU is already flashed by Ivan?  If so, what is the benefit of wanting to spend $400+ on the PV3 on top of the $350 that you have already spent for Ivan’s flash?
maybe I am missing something here but wouldn’t the PV3 re-do everything that Ivan has already done?

Not real happy with Ivan's flash- runs too rich in lower RPMs and ride modes seem messed up - can't really feel any change from Sport to A mode

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Not real happy with Ivan's flash- runs too rich in lower RPMs and ride modes seem messed up - can't really feel any change from Sport to A mode

Thats unfortunate to spend that much money and not be happy.  I have never used his flash but have read many, many forums with happy customers.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

44 minutes ago, betoney said:

.....  I have never used his flash but have read many, many forums with happy customers.

As did I before going with his flash; main point for me was he had built his on a Dyno with a 2019 GT900. If you look there are a few other folks that have felt the same afterwards- to rich, messed up ride modes and poor fuel mileage- I lost around 4mpg. By the time I got the bike to the MV Augusta shop I was willing to shell out another $300 for a good Dyno tune, which could not happen because his flash locked up my ECU

AOh14Gh_x597mOIrKGXEisQIfsrmYF6SFs-lwk9IUdtGWQ=s40

Fuel Moto Info

10:44 AM (44 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Hello, the PV3 does indeed fit the 2015 FJ-09, I apologize if one of our staff members noted it did not. The item can be found on our website here>> https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23898148

cleardot.gif

Thank you.........Jamie

Fuel Moto

230 Allegiance Court

Appleton, WI 54913 

Sales/Support 920-423-3309

www.fuelmotousa.com 

For product support visit the Fuel Moto University technical site  

Like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/FuelMoto

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Sweet!  Well there you go, @Larz. You be the guinea pig.  I'll bet it works well. Your only stumbling block may be that your ECM is currently "locked" so I don't know if that will prevent the PV3 from successfully connecting with and downloading to your ECM. Honestly even if Ivan flashes you back to stock, your ECM may maintain some sort of "key" that may prevent another device from connecting.

Good things to ask... (?)

-S

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, skipperT said:

Sweet!  Well there you go, @Larz. You be the guinea pig.  I'll bet it works well. Your only stumbling block may be that your ECM is currently "locked" so I don't know if that will prevent the PV3 from successfully connecting with and downloading to your ECM. Honestly even if Ivan flashes you back to stock, your ECM may maintain some sort of "key" that may prevent another device from connecting.

Good things to ask... (?)

-S

Well I have a 2019 so not a connection question issue for me, someone else will have try it on a 2015😅. Personally while I have had a good experience with FuelMoto vis- a- vis the PowerVision for Harley, before I pulled the trigger a PV3 for a 2015 I would confirm with Dynojet, given that they actually make the product in question. The second point regarding my tts mastertune locked ECU, well I had one, a TTS , some years back for my Harley ( I've had 3 flash tuners and 2 piggyback fuelers over the last 10 years, 90k miles and seemingly endless mods to the bike) and returning to OEM config would release any locks on a Delphi ECM. Fingers crossed the same is true with the "special needs child" type ECU in the Tracer. 🤞

Edited by Larz
jeez you would think English is my 2nd langage, eh
  • Like 1

So if I were to add one of these to my 2020 900 GT then it would take care of the jerky throttle response?  Saw one or two comments about fuel mileage getting hit.  Not looking for performance over economy but interested in smooth throttle and good response.  Fuel economy is important as on long trips out west have been many places where fuel milage is important.

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

So if I were to add one of these to my 2020 900 GT then it would take care of the jerky throttle response?  Saw one or two comments about fuel mileage getting hit.  Not looking for performance over economy but interested in smooth throttle and good response.  Fuel economy is important as on long trips out west have been many places where fuel milage is important.

The PV3? Sure in theory, you'll get a canned map with the purchase from FuelMoto and I know there is an archive of maps for our Yamaha's from both Dynojet and FuelMoto thst should cure the abrupt throttle response, I'd venture that most them are as good the general run of the mill canned flashes you can buy. And you will have control! Load other maps. take your bike to good Dyno tuner or do some tuning yourself- to me that is the attraction of the PowerVision 

Edited by Larz
late night drinking
  • Thumbsup 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:35 PM, Larz said:

As did I before going with his flash; main point for me was he had built his on a Dyno with a 2019 GT900. If you look there are a few other folks that have felt the same afterwards- to rich, messed up ride modes and poor fuel mileage- I lost around 4mpg. By the time I got the bike to the MV Augusta shop I was willing to shell out another $300 for a good Dyno tune, which could not happen because his flash locked up my ECU

Ivan gave me my money back after trying to figure out if it was his tune or some other issue with my 2019GT.  Of course I had to send it back and he put it back to stock.  I was going to try 2 wheel, but chickened out.  All I want is smooth throttle but it’s not horrible so I’m not messing with it for now.

16 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Oh, I see what you are asking about the fuel mileage issue: that's with Ivan's flash. As far the PV3 goes it would depend on the map you were running, again you have control with the device- you could take a good base map and tweak it for max economy, save it to the device with a new ID and then tweek the same base map for max power, save that with a ID; as well make Hot weather map& cold weather version; high elevation map& sea level maps, etc. The device will hold something like 4 base maps and 35 tweaked versions and can be left attached to the bike displaying gauge info or datalogging to aid tuning; it's weatherproof. Smart phone sized you could carry in a pocket as well. And just pull over to the side of the road to flash another map into the ecu, takes about 2 minutes to do so.

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

Ivan gave me my money back after trying to figure out if it was his tune or some other issue with my 2019GT.  Of course I had to send it back and he put it back to stock.  I was going to try 2 wheel, but chickened out.  All I want is smooth throttle but it’s not horrible so I’m not messing with it for now.

I talked to Ivan after deciding I didn't like the flash and was considering options. He did not offer to returm my $$, just reset the ECU for free with me paying one direction of shipping. No doubt you are much nicer guy than me, that always helps, although in my defense I did not yell or call him any names. i was indeed a bit irked at his failure to disclose upfront that his flash would lock out any other device ( not Ivan's fault that it does, it's TTS Mastertune's thing that they don't want competitors to be able to look inside their supposedly secret sauce stuff ), but he was making claims that his was the only flash that adjusted timing and de-accel tables which is BS; the TTS will do a few things other software/devices don't but it's not particularly significant according to Dyno tuners I've talked to.  

• Thumbsup 1