Powervision baby!

Larz

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

A little pricey.

yeah, but how much is a one time generic flash? In comparision to a device you tune with and/or take to a Dyno tuner? Not to mention you can build several tunes with a Powervision: a hot tune, an MPG tune and have them stored on the device to flash at your discretion

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Larz said:

yeah, but how much is a one time generic flash? In comparision to a device you tune with and/or take to a Dyno tuner? Not to mention you can build several tunes with a Powervision: a hot tune, an MPG tune and have them stored on the device to flash at your discretion

Interesting device, I have not done much research on them.  Keep us informed on how it works for you.

I am going to assume... (I know...) that the difference between this and a flash is the ability to toggle features on and off?  Meaning with a flash, you can disable deceleration fuel cut, disable air induction system, default to A mode for start up, remove electronic gear timing restrictions and change fan temperature.  Does this device allow changing of ECU parameters?

With a flash you get one custom fuel map but the PV3 sounds like it also alters your fuel map in real-time as you ride like the FTECU active tune. 

I would think that you could change exhausts or intake and the device will modify the fuel map to stay within a set air fuel ratio. 

I have the FTECU Active Tune and works very well, I have used it from below freezing to almost 114F and sea level to over 12,000' and adjusts fueling very efficiently.

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/products/yamaha-activetune-afr-closed-loop-self-tuning-ecu-kit?rq=mk_yamaha~md_fj-09-tracer-900~yr_2015

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

59 minutes ago, betoney said:

Interesting device, I have not done much research on them.  Keep us informed on how it works for you.

I am going to assume... (I know...) that the difference between this and a flash is the ability to toggle features on and off?  Meaning with a flash, you can disable deceleration fuel cut, disable air induction system, default to A mode for start up, remove electronic gear timing restrictions and change fan temperature.  Does this device allow changing of ECU parameters?

Yes this device will allow the user to change parameters in the ECU.

With a flash you get one custom fuel map but the PV3 sounds like it also alters your fuel map in real-time as you ride like the FTECU active tune. 

No it will not do that- it does not have to be attached to the bike unless you want to do data logging; it allows you reflash the ECU with canned maps or custom maps you design based on data logging or a Dyno. The older Power commanders had to be attached and could adjust AFR on the fly.

I would think that you could change exhausts or intake and the device will modify the fuel map to stay within a set air fuel ratio. 

You manually adjust maps or download canned maps which must flashed to the ECU; however, you can make a new map for just about any change to the bike while retaining the old map in the device.

I have the FTECU Active Tune and works very well, I have used it from below freezing to almost 114F and sea level to over 12,000' and adjusts fueling very efficiently.

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/products/yamaha-activetune-afr-closed-loop-self-tuning-ecu-kit?rq=mk_yamaha~md_fj-09-tracer-900~yr_2015

Yes I think you could run that device on the bike if you had a PV to flash your ECU. The PV could be attached to the bike while running and you could datalog the adjustments the FTECU made in real time ( unless the FTECU attaches to the diagnostic connector?)

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Larz said:

how much is a one time generic flash

So much THIS.  I've been tempted to flash my ECU, but the cost of flash + shipping etc etc - ugh.  For a bit more, I could install this semi permanently and flash whatever map I want whenever I want.  Spendy, but suuuuuper tempting - the value seems to be there.

I'd be interesting in hearing your experience with it!

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yes I think you could run that device on the bike if you had a PV to flash your ECU. The PV could be attached to the bike while running and you could datalog the adjustments the FTECU made in real time ( unless the FTECU attaches to the diagnostic connector?)

The Active Tune uses a replacement higher sensitivity O2 sensor.  The device needs to be 'turned on' or activated in the ECU.  The ECU flash has a very good baseline fuel map and the Active Tune 'fine tunes' that fuel map as you ride.

• Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, knyte said:

So much THIS.  I've been tempted to flash my ECU, but the cost of flash + shipping etc etc - ugh.  For a bit more, I could install this semi permanently and flash whatever map I want whenever I want.  Spendy, but suuuuuper tempting.

Exactly. I think I paid around $300 for a flash+ shipping. Then found out the map for the canned flash I got was built with an Akro pipe and  I'm running a Graves😶. it's ok but not anywhere what it could be,eh. Had the bike Dynoed ( not tuned, would have had to get the Power Commander to do that back then). Runs too rich down in the lower RPM range with the canned map ( generic)

• Premium Member

Hmmm

Very interesting and tempting.

My 15s ECU was flashed originally by Dave at Vcyclenut for $200 + shipping one way, and then again for free + shipping because he offers free lifetime flashes to the original owner.

I don't think I have the aptitude to use either devices but who knows.  How hard is it to grasp and execute?

I'm not unhappy with Dave's flash at all but I may not know any better only having firsthand experience tuning carbs and ignition systems, which I understand and find relatively easy and satisfying.  Or at least I did.

Now I would just rather spend my time riding but can't afford or trust anyone else to work on my bikes. Swapping an ECU somebody else flashed is another thing.

SWMBO says I'm just a grumpy, bitter old man.

• Thumbsup 3

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Hmmm

Very interesting and tempting.

My 15s ECU was flashed originally by Dave at Vcyclenut for $200 + shipping one way, and then again for free + shipping because he offers free lifetime flashes to the original owner.

I don't think I have the aptitude to use either devices but who knows.  How hard is it to grasp and execute?

I'm not unhappy with Dave's flash at all but I may not know any better only having firsthand experience tuning carbs and ignition systems, which I understand and find relatively easy and satisfying.  Or at least I did.

Now I would just rather spend my time riding but can't afford or trust anyone else to work on my bikes. Swapping an ECU somebody else flashed is another thing.

SWMBO says I'm just a grumpy, bitter old man.

Good price, while back? Ivan's did mine for $300; wants $350 now🤑

Super easy to flash your ECU - just connect the PV to the diagnostic connector on the bike and follow the onscreen prompts on the device. Takes about a minute. Load canned maps into the device via Windows on a laptop or look at /tweak maps. I have not talked to Fuel Moto or Dynojet about particulars, so I don't want to speak out of my arse about tuning- however Fuel Moto folks are big fans of the FZ-09/MT-09 so should have good selection of canned maps and they have a Dyno to develop maps or tweak a map. Really good customer service and support with them!

Have a Power Vision for my Harley and they have been stellar with support. Hoping Dynojet comes out with some auto tuning features for the PV3 that works on our Yamahas; works a treat on the Harley version.  

Edited by Larz

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, Larz said:

Have a Power Vision for my Harley and they have been stellar with support. Hoping Dynojet comes out with some auto tuning features for the PV3 that works on our Yamahas; works a treat on the Harley version.  

I was looking at their website and saw the same thing, the auto tune is available for Harley... why not for all bikes?  Custom fuel maps are great but the auto tune constantly fine tuning for any given scenario would be icing on the cake.

@2and3cylinders : I have a '19 GT. Don't have the Powervision for the Yamaha yet, got a question or two I need FuelMoto to answer first. If you buy the PV3 for your FJ-09 year it will come with the correct connector.

@betoney: A couple of points- the PV for Harley been out for more than a decade now; PV3 for our bikes and Canams is newer product; Harley custormer base is huge in comparision with much more demand for custom tunes.

Say what you will about Harleys ( I'd likely agree after owning one for 10 years,eh ), the Delphi ECM HDs use is one of the most powerful engine mangement systems in existence. Off the showroom floor the ECM uses narrow band o2 sensors to do adaptive learning, adjusting not only fuel trims in real time but also updating  the calibrations in the base map; albeit, in the very nrarrow range of the o2 sensors like 14.1 to 15.1 AFR.

The basic Autotune feature does not do real time adjustment, rather you use the PV to put the ECM in learning mode and then ride the bike- when done export the learned changes and update the map or create a new one- rinse and repeat till you like it.

The new Target Tune uses wide band o2 sensors that replace the stock narrow band- same tuning process only now across a wide range of AFRs, kinda like a Dyno. It will also increase the range of on the fly adjustment.

I'm hopeful that Dynojet will develop at least a basic Autotune feature for the PV3 for our CP3s. Right now it's a manual operation, either just looking and adjusting things, or in your case you could ride with the PV3 datalogging, go home and plug the PV3 into a laptop and look at the real time adjustments your Active Tune made and use that create a better base map

Edited by Larz
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

With the 15 & 16 the diagnostic connector does not interface with the ECU

I believe I have the correct adapter cable..

Naw that can't be right buddy: if it doesn't connect to the ECU how could anything see diagnostic info? Why don't you call or email FuelMoto, they won't steer you wrong