Footpegs installed

jamespz03

I just finished putting on new footpegs and wanted to share what I bought in case others want to do the same.

I bought these  for $22 and they fit great. They feel like they'll hold up and install was a breeze ~15 minutes total. Hopefully this will save someone else some time.

You will need to drill the clutch side out but it takes about 15 seconds. 1/2 bit should do it. I simply had my wife hold my shopvac below the bit to catch any shavings. Right side is just straigthening and pulling out a pin.

Time for a beer.

• Thumbsup 1

I put those pegs on my 2020 Tracer 900GT and it probably has been the best "mod" that I have done! Really reduced the foot vibrations. Makes longer trips a lot more comfortable. I stand on mine quite often and have not had any issues with them. I was skeptical because of the low price, (I think I got mine off of fleabay for less than $10) but they seem to be well made.

• Like 1

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

19 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

You will need to drill the clutch side out but it takes about 15 seconds. 1/2 bit should do it. I simply had my wife hold my shopvac below the bit to catch any shavings. Right side is just straigthening and pulling out a pin.

This is the bit that gives me pause. I assume you are speaking about drilling out the holes in the yoke on the mount, and not the holes in the pegs themselves.

Assuming the pins are the same diameter left and right, if the right side fits without drilling out why would the left side holes need to be enlarged? Are the Yamaha yoke holes odd, left and right?

I also note this review comment on the Amazon page:

Reviewed in the United States on March 2, 2021

Verified Purchase
These work great.... for left side/shifter side, you can use the included clevis pin - ditch the included c-clip and drill your own hole for a cotter pin.

Separate note - I notice the Amazon ad says "Note: This foot peg is used to place your feet, not to stand up." Do they know something or just a CYA statement ... 

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

This is the bit that gives me pause. I assume you are speaking about drilling out the holes in the yoke on the mount, and not the holes in the pegs themselves.

Assuming the pins are the same diameter left and right, if the right side fits without drilling out why would the left side holes need to be enlarged? Are the Yamaha yoke holes odd, left and right?

I also note this review comment on the Amazon page:

Reviewed in the United States on March 2, 2021

Verified Purchase
These work great.... for left side/shifter side, you can use the included clevis pin - ditch the included c-clip and drill your own hole for a cotter pin.

Separate note - I notice the Amazon ad says "Note: This foot peg is used to place your feet, not to stand up." Do they know something or just a CYA statement ... 

If you look at the mounting pins on both sides, they are different, one side comes right out and the other needs the head of the mounting pin removed.  Not sure why Yamaha mounted each side differently.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

46 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

I also

It's super easy and don't stress about it. If the peg starts to shift when you're drilling, stop. That means it's ready to be pushed out and your bike won't be damaged. I re-used the existing springs and put the C-clips on both pegs. It's feels strong and I've stood up on it already. The cotter pin is just for extra protection vs. a clip.

As Betoney mentioned, they are the same size but they are connected differently on each side. Clutch side is a flat "rivet" type thing that you drill through. The brake side is a cotter pin that you first straigthen, then pull out.

Quick and easy. You got this!!

Edited by jamespz03
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, jamespz03 said:

It's super easy and don't stress about it. If the peg starts to shift when you're drilling, stop. That means it's ready to be pushed out and your bike won't be damaged. I re-used the existing springs and put the C-clips on both pegs. It's feels strong and I've stood up on it already. The cotter pin is just for extra protection vs. a clip.

As Betoney mentioned, they are the same size but they are connected differently on each side. Clutch side is a flat "rivet" type thing that you drill through. The brake side is a cotter pin that you first straigthen, then pull out.

Quick and easy. You got this!!

Oh, I am not in the least stressed about this. :) I do work on my bikes and am comfortable with mods like these. My problem was I did not understand what you had said about "drilling", and only actually got off my butt and looked at the bike after reading betoney's post above (thanks betoney). I took a series of photos and did some graphic work to make it clearer for others who might have also misunderstood.

The left footpeg pin has a rivetted bottom end, and that is what has to be removed using a drill bit (larger for cutting, like the 1/2" you suggested) in order to withdraw the pin. The right footpeg pin has a clip on the lower end so there is no difficulty removing it. Another PITA design point from Yamaha.

Now my only remaining concern is the strength of the material of the footpeg viz the comment by the seller that it is no meant for standing on ... :)

Tracer Footpeg Pins.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Grumpy Goat said:

The left footpeg pin has a rivetted bottom end, and that is what has to be removed using a drill bit (larger for cutting, like the 1/2" you suggested) in order to withdraw the pin. The right footpeg pin has a clip on the lower end so there is no difficulty removing it. Another PITA design point from Yamaha.

You can always replace both sides with adjustable clevis pins. I cut each to size, and use cotter pins.... but I guess you're done... so 👍.

clevis.jpg.4db7f67e15baf9ede3c65da34f33a06d.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Had similar fleabay rubber clad, then adjustable ADV type which I adjusted about 3/4" lower and 5/8" father forward.  But with the wide ADV pegs shifting was awkward so I went to these round adjustable ones also adjusted down and forward but have not test road them yet.  No issues with vibration or dragging with all 3.

20210211_133847.jpg

20210211_133859.jpg

20210225_184220.jpg

20211229_201333.jpg

20211229_201404.jpg

20211229_201414.jpg

20211229_201603.jpg

20211229_202206.jpg

20220104_195100.jpg

• Thumbsup 1