Power Outlet

10 hours ago, HGP61 said:

Too true, I'd only had My tracer two weeks when I went on a trip with My two friends. First campsite My friend plugged a small camping air bed compressor into the socket on his 900 gt and blew the fuse. Not learning from this we plugged it into my bike and funnily enough and possibly expecting a different result blew the fuse on mine as well. 

I can also relate to that........plugged in a tire compressor to my previous bike, an FJR, and promptly blew the fuse. Now I have it connected directly to the battery with an in-line fuse on the Tracer.

Latest; decided to go with an old/standby phone running maps.me off-line, secured with an X-grip and plugged into the existing auxiliary power point. Works a treat, a bit hard to see in direct sunlight as expected so will consider fashioning a hood of some description.

274704028_361715375801011_4200562476573304302_n.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, Suu Kyi said:

Latest; decided to go with an old/standby phone running maps.me off-line, secured with an X-grip and plugged into the existing auxiliary power point. Works a treat, a bit hard to see in direct sunlight as expected so will consider fashioning a hood of some description.

Good to hear that you have a solution that works for you. One of the reasons I like my Navigator VI is that it is the brightest screen I have come across in a screen for a motorcycle, and that is important for my aging eyes. I use my iPhone with CoPilot (with offline maps) as a backup but often the screen is hard to see in bright light. Also, I prefer not to have the phone out in rain.

The reflection in the back of the GoPro Hero 9 makes it look like it has an edge-to-edge screen. Had to do a double take there. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

6 hours ago, KellyL said:

@Suu Kyi I just noticed you already have a RAM mount arm. In case you still want to use your XXL540, all you need on top of the RAM cradle is the diamond base

$28.95 + $15.95 = $44.90

Just add a sandwich bag to make it water resistant 🌧️

(P.S. I'm not affiliated at all with this store, I just Googled it)

Thanks KellyL, I looked at this again as wasn't happy with the Samsung on the X-grip as the screen was impossible to see so quite pointless. In addition to the Cradle and Diamond Base for the TomTom I'll also need another Tough Claw to attach to the handle bar as well as Short Double Socket arm as what I already have I need for the GoPro. Total cost of all that is around $125 not including postage. I've already spent $104.95 for the X-grip but perhaps happy to write that off as can be used later. Need to be absolutely sure before I go down this path as don't want to spend anymore unnecessarily as may end up close to the same as buying a whole new motorcycle specific GPS which should come with all the necessary fittings.

2 hours ago, KellyL said:

No worries :) Yes that's the downside for using a smartphone, but even some of the older motorcycle GPS models weren't visible in full sunlight either (e.g. TomTom Rider v1). Car GPS might also struggle, as it's designed for a shaded cabin. It's a combination of screen brightness AND reflective glare (which reduces effective contrast). Your idea of a hood is a good one, but might be tricky to build (wind turbulence etc).

What model Samsung Galaxy is it?

• Galaxy S10 - 670 nits (AKA cd/m^2)
  • iPhone X - 640 nits
  • Galaxy S21 Ultra - 890 nits
  • iPhone 13 Pro - 1000 nits
  • average computer screen at max brightness - 300 nits

I couldn't find the nits ratings for the current TomTom Rider or Garmin Zumo 396/XT beyond the marketing "sunlight readable, super bright screen" spiel.

P.S. just tried my TomTom Start 25 car GPS in the full sun... it was hard to read!

Thanks Mate, never thought of increasing the brightness on the phone till you mentioned it, a bit remiss of me. The phone I'm using is a Galaxy S7, listed as 855 nits max according to Google. Anyway, had a look at the brightness setting and it was at around 50%. A lot dimmer than the TomTom when compared to side by side, hence my previous idea of spending more and running the TomTom. Now with the brightness increased to 100% it's on par with the TomTom, maybe even a little brighter but that could be my wishful thinking. Warning that this will increase battery consumption is a non event as it will be always plugged in. Any additional heat should also be dissipated by the wind as we all ride our Tracers at warp speed, right? Will try again and let you know how I go, may not be till sometime next week as just did a lengthy run up in the hills around Perth today so no inclination to ride anymore this weekend, thanks again...... 

6 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

...Warning that this will increase battery consumption is a non event as it will be always plugged in. Any additional heat should also be dissipated by the wind ...

That is not guaranteed since the shutdown protection could kick in before the wind gets a chance to actually effect cooling. The phone (or GoPro or whatever) is not designed for air cooling (no cooling fins etc) so passive air cooling is very inefficient. You could find that the phone shuts down periodically to protect itself. It has happened with me with both phone and GoPro.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I've had the IPhone on a Quadlock mount on the handlebar until now, and found this a problem in traffic and waiting for the local ferry in the sun during summer. (I see that you've been coping a roasting in the Republic of McGowan this summer.)

It doesn't shut down, but decreases brightness as it heats up to save itself. As soon as you start moving and building speed it comes back, but it's hard to read in full sun. The Bluetooth keeps working though.

The phone sits too horizontally there and catches too much sun. I've ordered a GPS bracket from Fleabay that should be here this week which makes the phone sit nearly vertically above the dash, this should fix it.

Edited by OZVFR

3 hours ago, OZVFR said:

I've had the IPhone on a Quadlock mount on the handlebar until now, and found this a problem in traffic and waiting for the local ferry in the sun during summer. (I see that you've been coping a roasting in the Republic of McGowan this summer.)

It doesn't shut down, but decreases brightness as it heats up to save itself. As soon as you start moving and building speed it comes back, but it's hard to read in full sun. The Bluetooth keeps working though.

The phone sits too horizontally there and catches too much sun. I've ordered a GPS bracket from Fleabay that should be here this week which makes the phone sit nearly vertically above the dash, this should fix it.

Will be interested to see what the GPS bracket looks like when installed. PS: Western Australia is now open albeit Emperor McGowan is still insisting on tough/unnecessary restrictions whereas the rest of the world is getting on with life......

Update - turned up the brightness on the phone to 100%, took it for a run in relatively bright sunlight, changed directions to get different angles of sunlight and it works fine, can read the screen well enough now except for direct sunlight but can live with that. Happy with the final result. PS: will only have it working on longer country runs as it can be a bit distracting around town unless absolutely necessary, tempted to keep looking at it, means eyes off the road which is not good.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, flyfifer said:

Apart from blocking half of the screen ???

How short are you?t

Its actually not as bad as it looks, the phone sits horizontally, and when sitting on bike the bottom of the phone is just above the blinker light. 

Edited by OZVFR

A word about fuses.  2A fuses are hard to find at most auto shops and using a 5A is sketchy for the circuit.  I found 2A fuses on Amazon and keep several as spare in the pillion storage area.  Also in there is a Battery Tender SAE to 12V DC powerlet to use inflators or pumps and can plug in a USB adapter.

On 3/10/2022 at 8:20 PM, OZVFR said:

New Fleabay bracket installed and works a treat. 

084AEA68-2DB5-48EF-8BC5-327ED19ABF66.thumb.jpeg.8d65b66f0887ff5238707376f84c4ae8.jpeg

Here’s a better view of how it really looks from eye view while sitting on bike. 

5438B569-E615-45B3-9712-4E46DDC4DAC6.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

I compiled this summary of fuses from the manual. Might help others decide what spares to carry.

1.0A two, Black. 2.0A two, Grey. 

7.5A seven, Brown. 15.0A three, Blue. 

20.0A one, Yellow. 30.0A one, Green. 50.0A one, Red.

• Thumbsup 2