Shim brand recommendations - or more importantly - what to avoid.

dazzler24

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

I’ve changed thousands of shims in 20 odd years and mostly hot cams were the damaged ones excluding grenaded motors from over revving.

Maybe the shims were too thick, not lubed on installation, cams out of time, poor engine oil and maintenance, there could be a dozen contributing factors.

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Maybe the shims were too thick, not lubed on installation, cams out of time, poor engine oil and maintenance, there could be a dozen contributing factors.

True. But the stock shims were undamaged. Reason enough for me to not use them. But crack on and use what you like in your own motor.

On 3/16/2022 at 4:58 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I've not seen any such "dimpling'' in 100ks mile use?  And some Pro-X are now made in China too rather than Nipon...

trying to figure out what is meant by dimpling.  I understand the term but on the CP3 the shims go under the bucket. I could see a "squish" but think it would be unlikely.  One line of reasoning I've heard on the CP3 for the need for adjustments at the first check is the valve seats settling into place.

I’ll post a pic later. Basically the top of the valve stem begins to make an impression in the side of the shim where it contacts.  Some marks are simply a visual indicator, some actually begin to change that area of the shim, making it thinner than the rest of the shim and thus a slightly different thickness. 

If it’s a problem, it can be felt (or measured) with a fingernail.

-Skip

• Premium Member

Typing one handed...

The shop manual I believe actually instructs to install the shims with their thickness mark facing up so it is not worn away by the end of the valve stems and their split keepers; which also can rub.

• Supporting Member

Dare I say any dimpling, while not ideal, can only be a good thing?  Meaning that the clearances will only get (very marginally) bigger which by all accounts is what you want - particularly for the exhaust?

Also, is it possible that dimpling can occur if the cam/valve bucket clearance is tight which I assume means that the valve stem is hard up against the shim all the time?

Or is it that some shims simply aren't as hard as others.

No expert but just throwing in some lateral thinking.  Don't flame me if I'm way off the mark. 🤷‍♂️

For those of us in Australia, there is a good company in Victoria called Precision Shims who manufactures all sizes of shims for all cars and bikes.

The old bloke who ran it was awesome and always very helpful. Was able to supply all the odd ball shims even Ducati ones after some people got too happy grinding away. (Don’t get me started on that!) 😂

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buggy Nate said:

For those of us in Australia, there is a good company in Victoria called Precision Shims who manufactures all sizes of shims for all cars and bikes.

The old bloke who ran it was awesome and always very helpful. Was able to supply all the odd ball shims even Ducati ones after some people got too happy grinding away. (Don’t get me started on that!) 😂

I actually contacted them for shims but it was so frigging expensive to get them shipped here I just went with what was locally available

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Buggy Nate said:

Thanks.  This post is timely as I only sent off a request last night for a quote for 1.7-2.1 shims in 0.05 increments (x4 ea).  If they are still $3.00AU each then that will cost me around $108.  Looks like I can buy Hotcams, for example, off the bay of fleas for the same price and that gets me a larger size range but only 3 of each.

By all accounts it would appear that the range I'm looking at should do me along with the existing shims.

Hope the rona hasn't got you too badly.  You're still posting so that's a good sign. 🙂

Here's a Dad joke to cheer you up - People are suffering from a new pandemic that is sweeping the world.  It attacks  when filling up at the petrol bowser.

It's called...wait for it...... 'Carowner' virus.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

That’s probably why our freight and postage often costs more than the parts. It cost me over $140 to fill up the hilux last fill. 🤮

we have not had the toyota hilux here since 1995

the americanized version called the tacoma made here took over

the hilux can maybe be had if it met epa regs but with a 25 % tarriff tacked on

too bad

On 3/18/2022 at 11:34 PM, dazzler24 said:

Dare I say any dimpling, while not ideal, can only be a good thing?  Meaning that the clearances will only get (very marginally) bigger which by all accounts is what you want - particularly for the exhaust?

Also, is it possible that dimpling can occur if the cam/valve bucket clearance is tight which I assume means that the valve stem is hard up against the shim all the time?

Or is it that some shims simply aren't as hard as others.

No expert but just throwing in some lateral thinking.  Don't flame me if I'm way off the mark. 🤷‍♂️

dimpling will actually INCREASE the valve clearances, because the shim may be marginally smaller (thinner) in the area of the shim that the valve stem contacts with  

The valve stem is hard up against the shim on one side and the tappet/bucket all the time. That’s actually the spot it’s designed to be in…

how and why they wear is anyone’s guess but I just think about the environment that little sucker lives in and how many times per second it has forces and heat applied to it. IIRC the entire valve transfers heat from Combustion.  Most of it is disappated through the materials of the valve seat, cylinder head and walls. but some heat must transfer along the entire length of the valve, and into all the parts it contacts (guides, keepers, springs, and shim, etc)

Shim wear may also have a lot to do with the oiling / lubrication characteristics of each engine and the quality control and materials used during the production of the shim, and even the engine materials itself. 

lots going on with a $3.00 part! 
Sunday morning rambling.

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
(Incorrect logic)