Shim brand recommendations - or more importantly - what to avoid.

dazzler24

On 3/21/2022 at 1:58 AM, Buggy Nate said:

All this flapping about shims got me paranoid about mine. 🤣

Pulled the cover today and they are still in spec at 50,000 km, although closer to the smaller side. I’m wondering if the angle of the valve/cam cover surface is causing a slight drag on the gauge and making people think they are a little tighter than they are? I suppose you could always insert the gauge from the rear to check.

Not doing big k’s anymore sharing the commuting with the hilux. I’ll check them again at 60k and see how they are then.

It is a feel think.  I have a set of feeler gauges that I bent so that I could slide them in straight and avoid the false drag.  Don't do it a lot but when I do I'll check then come back again and do it a bit different and see if it changes.  

I'm still in the process of doing my valves, and I can say the HotCams shims I used (so far) measure out pretty accurately. If I could have  a "do over" I'd buy the Pro-X kit... All of my exhaust valves were too tight, and while the 1.75 & 1.80 shims put them back "in spec", I think one will be right at the edge of being to loose, so I ordered some Pro-X refills from Amazon this morning.

I wont really know the truth until I reassemble enough that I can rotate the engine by hand and re-measure. TBH this really isn't a hard process, but it is time consuming, so I'm hoping I don't have to disassemble and redo anything. Since I'm taking my time and being careful, its been rather enjoyable anyway.

Screenshot 2022-03-29 101813.png

Edited by denveryzf
typo
  • Thumbsup 1