Tracer 900 vs GT 2018/9 what should I buy

Firstly apologies as I was not sure on whether to post in this or the GT forum- so I did both- please delete one if required.

Sadly I am pretty sure I have written of my 2017 tracer 900. 

I have managed to salvage some parts from the bike namely:

Heated grips ( on MT09 bars) 

Akra Ti full exhaust

Nitron R1 shock

Shad topbox.

I am looking at buying a 2018/9 model which I understand has the longer swinging arm and narrower bars.

originally I was looking at buying a tracer 900 as I could put the salvaged bits back on it. But I have been informed that the shock wont fit and I will need a new mounting plate for the topbox.

So with that in mind I started to look at the GT.

With that comes questions.

I am not that bothered by the paniers- if I kept them they might get used once in a while, but i would consider selling them, is there a used market for them in the UK?

Is the rear GT shock on par with the Nitron R1?  on my current bike I have the R1 and updated fork springs and it handles ok but I would like to get it a bit better. I wonder would I be better of keeping the rear shock, selling my R1 and buying some front cartridges?

I guess what I am asking is the GT worth the difference when the only real benefits seem to be QS ( which you can buy) Cruise ( not sure if you can buy, but not that bothered, heated grips ( which I have),  luggage (I'm a bit indifferent) and the rear shock)

Thanks in advance

IMO, the panniers on the GT are a must. To me, a bike without luggage is a near-useless toy. I can’t justify spending $17k on a useless toy. Same goes for the other several features on the GT such as the heated grips and cruise control. These are not conveniences but absolute necessities on a vehicle that will be used first and foremost as transportation.

Illustrating that every rider has to make his own decisions on the matters. What works for one rider won’t necessarily work for another. OP only you can answer the questions. If all one does is dart around town showing off, then panniers look dumb. But if she rides to work and needs to carry a pair of work high heels, or a coat, panniers are an absolute requirement. etc. 

Thanks for the reply

I use my bike as commuter bike into London (35m each way)

I generally dont need more than the top box, but the paniers would be useful. Cruise control doesnt bother me and I have the heated grips. its more whether the suspension is good enough to justify the extra price with some added goodies

• Supporting Member

A lot of people on this forum seem to tunnel vision on the new electronic suspension of the T9GT and make that the only defining difference factor when buying a T9GT vs Tracer 900 GT used/new old stock.

They sleep on the peak torque of the new engine coming online 1500RPM earlier in the rev range which is huge; after 3000mi riding the bike, this is the most noticeable difference. The seat on the GT is great, I'm not the only one of the forum who has mentioned that; the passenger seat is also upgraded if that matters to you. That'll save you a Corbin or Mustang purchase in the future.

You're in a market (UK) where you can pick up the base Tracer 9 and save some money if you don't want the semi-active suspension. I believe that model still comes with cruise control; and that would've been the route I took if that were available in the US since I already had my own panniers and aftermarket heated grips tend to be better than OEM in many cases.

As to how good the semi-active suspension is, yeah it's good. Damping being adjusted by a computer a thousand times a second is sweet when you're on crap roads. I think a testament to how good it is, is the lack of comments on it from people who own it on this forum. We'd all be up in arms if it sucked, but it doesn't. It's like 90% of my ohlins setup from my 2015 FJ09 on the aggressive twisties, but infinitely better at everything else especially on subpar roads.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, stringman said:

thanks for the reply but tracer 9 or tracer9gt are out of my budget.

D'OH!!!

I thought:

12 hours ago, stringman said:

I am looking at buying a 2018/9 model which I understand has the longer swinging arm and narrower bars.

Meant you were were looking at buying either the 2018 generation Tracer (MY 2018-2020) or the new Tracer "9" models. My brain 😵; embarrassing.

Sorry you had to read my novella of a reply. You definitely get what you pay for with these bikes, though. Krusty's reply is spot-on: only you can figure out what can live with or without. I personally think the GT upgrades are worth it, adding cruise control later is more time and money than just having it to begin with.

• Like 1

I own the base Tracer 900 and love it.  I do no commuting or long trips and only 1or 2 hour rides. I have no use for panniers and utilize a shad e04 tank bag for wallet and cell phone. For the money this bike is unbeatable.

• Thumbsup 1

One of the requirements for buying a new motorcycle for me was not having to do anything to it once I bought it and the 2019 Tracer GT fit that requirement.  I bought it and just been riding the hell out of it only doing normal maintenance. I didnt have to spend anymore money for things that already came installed. 

I believe the only reason for the added electronic gizmos on the neew Tracers is because of sales.  The Tracer was in up against other similar motorcycles that had those gizmos. Those gizmos make for great poser talking points.

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 1

If the difference in price of 900 and 900 GT is $1000 I would go for GT but if it is $2000 I would most likely go for 900. And specially that seems like you don’t care much about extra stuff on GT . Perhaps even better go and get low mileage 2017 again.

I would say this as I aged.   I didn’t give much thought to comfort until my late 30’s and around age 40 would not purchase or ride a street motorcycle without a windshield, saddle bags, tank bag, or trunk.  Heated gear was a must as I aged and I have a requirement for OEM cruise control…..I won’t purchase a new street oriented bike without cruise……ever.

I currently own a Tenere 700 with a throttle lock, windshield, heated grips/harness, and saddle bags.

My Tracer 900 GT and Super Tenere ES both have factory cruise, windshields, and saddle bags/racks for bags, etc.   I am in my mid 60’s and favor both function and form at this point in my life👍  

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

I have found that all the extras that came on the bikes I have purchased, quickly became "must haves" on the next one that I was buying! I've never told myself, "I wish this bike didn't have all these things on it!"

Just my .02

• Thumbsup 3

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

• Supporting Member
On 4/3/2022 at 12:52 PM, jthayer09 said:

It's like 90% of my ohlins setup from my 2015 FJ09 on the aggressive twisties, but infinitely better at everything else especially on subpar roads.

Thanks for the input… nice to hear feedback from someone who’s experienced both high end ‘conventional’ suspension AND the new T9 electronic semi-active.   I really do need to test ride a T9GT myself and see what I think… 

• Thumbsup 2

The new CP3 is definitely an upgrade.  I'm pretty meh on most of the rest honestly, but the new CP3 doesn't have the kind of lazy deadband around 3.5-4krpm that the original version does.  I get around that personally with really extremely short gearing, but yeah, I think the new CP3 is substantially improved.

Not so much I'd trade up for one, mind you.  But it's improved.

My fear with the T9GT's suspension is that you can't simply swap springs to set it up for your weight, and no amount of active suspension gets past that.  I assume it'd be much better than leaving the stock springs on a 2nd gen, mind you, no matter what you weigh.   Of course, I'm a 300lb guy, so... That's a significant concern for me :)

On 4/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, Rick123 said:

If the difference in price of 900 and 900 GT is $1000 I would go for GT but if it is $2000 I would most likely go for 900. And specially that seems like you don’t care much about extra stuff on GT . Perhaps even better go and get low mileage 2017 again.

Well something inside of me says I want to improve

buy getting the 18 model i get the longer swinging arm  narrower bars and better seat, all those things appeal to me plus I like the newer colour schemes

On 4/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, whisperquiet said:

I would say this as I aged.   I didn’t give much thought to comfort until my late 30’s and around age 40 would not purchase or ride a street motorcycle without a windshield, saddle bags, tank bag, or trunk.  Heated gear was a must as I aged and I have a requirement for OEM cruise control…..I won’t purchase a new street oriented bike without cruise……ever.

I currently own a Tenere 700 with a throttle lock, windshield, heated grips/harness, and saddle bags.

My Tracer 900 GT and Super Tenere ES both have factory cruise, windshields, and saddle bags/racks for bags, etc.   I am in my mid 60’s and favor both function and form at this point in my life👍  

I am the same, too old for sports bikes

• Thumbsup 1