Tracer 900 vs GT 2018/9 what should I buy

On 4/4/2022 at 3:56 PM, duckie said:

One of the requirements for buying a new motorcycle for me was not having to do anything to it once I bought it and the 2019 Tracer GT fit that requirement.  I bought it and just been riding the hell out of it only doing normal maintenance. I didnt have to spend anymore money for things that already came installed. 

I believe the only reason for the added electronic gizmos on the neew Tracers is because of sales.  The Tracer was in up against other similar motorcycles that had those gizmos. Those gizmos make for great poser talking points.

I take on board your points. I never really gelled with my tracers until I sorted the suspension out and put on an akra with a reflash. Obviously there are lots of little things  have also done as well

• Premium Member
On 4/4/2022 at 6:21 PM, Rick123 said:

If the difference in price of 900 and 900 GT is $1000 I would go for GT but if it is $2000 I would most likely go for 900. And specially that seems like you don’t care much about extra stuff on GT . Perhaps even better go and get low mileage 2017 again.

I had a 2017 FJ and then  got the Tracer 900.  Even though I put a good shock and fork cartridges in the Tracer, I really  liked the FJ more than the  Tracer.  

21 minutes ago, fjray said:

I had a 2017 FJ and then  got the Tracer 900.  Even though I put a good shock and fork cartridges in the Tracer, I really  liked the FJ more than the  Tracer.  

By Tracer do you mean GT ( all ours in the UK are Tracers) Why did you prefer the FJ?

On 4/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, fjray said:

Any particular reason?

• Premium Member
On 4/15/2022 at 6:42 PM, Rick123 said:

Any particular reason?

Might seem silly to others but first of all they  changed the bodywork by the  rear seat and it  now doesn't have any way of using bungee straps or anything. The  FJ09  had lots of places to  hook straps to.  Probably not a problem for most of you but I hated that part.  And, it steered a lot less precisely and it took more effort to corner, the longer swingarm and  narrower handlebars probably being the  culprit.   If you love the Tracer,  good for you.  After years of riding around with guys on the BMW S1000XR,  I  finally got one of those.  If you have a Tracer and take a test ride on the  XR, you'll never be  happy with your Tracer again.   YMMV

14 hours ago, fjray said:

Might seem silly to others but first of all they  changed the bodywork by the  rear seat and it  now doesn't have any way of using bungee straps or anything. The  FJ09  had lots of places to  hook straps to.  Probably not a problem for most of you but I hated that part.  And, it steered a lot less precisely and it took more effort to corner, the longer swingarm and  narrower handlebars probably being the  culprit.   If you love the Tracer,  good for you.  After years of riding around with guys on the BMW S1000XR,  I  finally got one of those.  If you have a Tracer and take a test ride on the  XR, you'll never be  happy with your Tracer again.   YMMV

Thanks to God never planning to get HD or BMW. Whatever makes you happy…congratulations.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, fjray said:

Might seem silly to others but first of all they  changed the bodywork by the  rear seat and it  now doesn't have any way of using bungee straps or anything. The  FJ09  had lots of places to  hook straps to.  

I got some shockloop type bungee cords recently. Instead of hooks on the end they connect to make a loop, or to each other to increase length. Worth a look....

https://www.odsgear.com/product/shockloop/

Use GETSOME at checkout for 10% off.

• Thanks 1

Well I made the decision!

Over the weekend I picked up a 19 reg Phantom blue Tracer 900 GT

Like I say I wasnt that bothered by the GT options, but the bike ( bought privately) was the same price as a standard Tracer from a dealer so it was a no brainer. Plus it came with lots of extras and an Ohlins shock.

Rode it home yesterday and it seemed so different to my old tracer, seemed faster accelerating ( even though mine had an akra  and reflash) and the brakes seemed better.

I wasnt that bothered by the qs (I guess I need to learn how to use it) but did like the CC.

Now all I have to do is fit all the extra goodies!

Thanks for all your help

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stringman said:

Well I made the decision!

Over the weekend I picked up a 19 reg Phantom blue Tracer 900 GT

Like I say I wasnt that bothered by the GT options, but the bike ( bought privately) was the same price as a standard Tracer from a dealer so it was a no brainer. Plus it came with lots of extras and an Ohlins shock.

Rode it home yesterday and it seemed so different to my old tracer, seemed faster accelerating ( even though mine had an akra  and reflash) and the brakes seemed better.

I wasnt that bothered by the qs (I guess I need to learn how to use it) but did like the CC.

Now all I have to do is fit all the extra goodies!

Thanks for all your help

Congratulations!