Denali DRLs with custom switchbox

The Tracer got a set of Denali Daylight Running Lights (DLRs) with lower fender mount brackets for Xmas last December, I am taking advantage (?) of the unseasonable snow and temps to finally get around to installing them.

Like all Denali products, these LED pods are super high-quality components. it is always a pleasure to install premium goodies on your bike. This part of the job is straight-forward, and the pods tuck in nicely, close to the fender, and look unobtrusive when not lit up:

LeftDRL.thumb.jpg.7689170351794522e4a5af37b445c815.jpg

RightDRL.thumb.jpg.d5659c01aec53c765dd710d91ef83fcc.jpg

The Denali circuit consumed the final position in the FZ-1 Fuzeblock, that top 3-amp slot. The Pro-Oiler (not connected in this pic) is slot #2, then Warchild-wife's Warm-N-Safe, Zumo GPS, LED Aux Lamps, and LEO Cloaking Device. 

fz1FullHouse.thumb.jpg.1069c71220e1b17e237c7ab2e6d0430b.jpg

This switchbox has over 250,000 miles of LD Riding history... after its initial installation on a 2000 Honda CBR1100 Blackbird for 8 years, it migrated over to a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa for 12 years, now this storied aluminum switchbox resides on the Yamaha. Brake reservoir-mounted, it houses two heavy-duty, single-pole, double-throw, center-off toggle switches, and feature black-anodized drilled aluminum washers  and rubber boots to keep moisture at bay. Right switch is for Denali DLRs. Left switch activates LEO Cloaking Device. 

switchbox1.thumb.jpg.23c4556c8ab988106978edc60a8b1139.jpg

Here are the DRLs at 50%. Still brighter than hell:

DimDLR.thumb.jpg.6dec647c3dce1274a47fb7f3d36b4da8.jpg

DLRs at 100%, dayumn, pretty sure this is a daylight use only setting.  That said, when I can run these (say, alone in the desert),  I bet these afford a lot of 'fill' light right in from on the bike.  The DRLs are not intended for down-range work, that are primarily for conspicuously:

HighDLR.thumb.jpg.623cc7d156ad538135ecde92eba28922.jpg 

Should anything noteworthy occur after I run these for a while, I'll post up the info.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Nice install. I moved my Fuzeblocks from my FJ to the Niken and it helps prevent hacking into the stock wiring 😏

Are the DRL's just to get seen or do they throw some light down the road? Are they a replacement for auxiliary lights or something that may be used in addition to aux light to help the headlight for night driving?

I got them for the daytime triangular conspicuity, almost exclusively. We have nothing but brain-dead cagers around here that try to end my young mid-60's life by waiting until I reach the intersection before turning left in front of me. I'm just trying to work every angle I can with the DRLs.  😥

Denali claims that they will provide a lot of "fill-in" light directly in front of the bike, but they really aren't a substitute for serious Aux Lamps. The DRL's job is mainly conspicuity, to get others to see you.

• Thumbsup 2

23 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Have links for where you got everything?

DRLs: 
https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/lighting/visibility-lights/visibility-lights-for-motorcycles/denali-drl-daytime-running-lights-with-universal-fender-mounting-kit-amber/

FZ1 Fuzeblock:   
https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblocks-FZ-1-Distribution-Block_p_1.html

Switchbox: Custom-made by my long deceased fabricator, sorry.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, fjrchuck said:

Inquiring minds want to know what is it???

Left switch activates LEO Cloaking Device 😐

Obviously you are not a Star Wars fan, jump ahead to 1:56.....

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, fjrchuck said:

Inquiring minds want to know what is it???

Left switch activates LEO Cloaking Device 😐

Ok, well.... it's satire.  😁 Think along the lines of "Klingon Cloaking Device"... doesn't exist, but it would be nice if it did.  

That left switch is dormant at the moment, but likely not for long.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I'm a huge proponent of headlight modulators and auxiliary driving lights (30° spots).  Of course the more the marrier. I also added amber LED side marker strips to the side panels, an aftermarket super bright programable tail light (the well knownbrand escapesme now), an auxiliary red LED brake light strip to the back edge of the Shad top case rack, installed OEM front 3 wire turn signals at the rear with high output LED bulbs (frontand rear) with a low load blinker relay, and reflective red wheel tape.

I've also always worn a reflective hiviz vest, then a electroluminescent vest and now a hiviz Hit-Air air vest along with all my ATGATT upgraded to CE Level 2 armor as needed including shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, back and chest.  In some of mypants I've removed the knee pads and wear slip on knee/ shin armor.

But experience and a sixth sense while constantly playing the "what if" game with your head on a swivel is the best preventative, proactive medicine.  I'm also very cognizant of the risk of being rear-ended too.

• Thumbsup 2