Valve adjustment

My question iS about feeler gauge length. My set is only 2 1/2 inches long will it be long enough to check the valves on the Tracer 900 engine if not what would be the ideal length? Also can you reuse the valve cover gasket or should that be replaced with a new one? This will be the first time I’ve ventured into a Yamaha triple although I have done many valve adjustments over the years the most involved one was on a K 1600 GT motor now that took some work thank you in advance for any response.

Duane

Yes to both questions.
You may find 1 length more or less useful depending on what you are willing to take off the bike when accessing the valve cover for removal. I pull the rad because I KNOW the cams are coming out. Others swing it down and out of the way, or simply put up with it and scrape their knuckles. 

NO adhesive on the “1/2 moon” part of the gasket btw. And ok to reuse. 
-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

Thank you for the replies. I plan on removing the radiator as I will have the forks off for oil service and am also doing a coolant change. A good time to do some cleaning. Will pick up some angle gages. Will pickup a gasket when I go to buy the coolant.

Much appreciate the advice, Duane

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, skipperT said:

Yes to both questions.
You may find 1 length more or less useful depending on what you are willing to take off the bike when accessing the valve cover for removal. I pull the rad because I KNOW the cams are coming out. Others swing it down and out of the way, or simply put up with it and scrape their knuckles. 

NO adhesive on the “1/2 moon” part of the gasket btw. And ok to reuse. 
-Skip

Come on Skip my valves are still in spec at 50,000ks! 🤣

I know I’m one of the rare ones!

5 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Come on Skip my valves are still in spec at 50,000ks! 🤣

I know I’m one of the rare ones!

Then you must be measuring it wrong, BN!

🤣

yeah you probably just won the cylinder head lottery. That is rare for sure, I’m still in disbelief that there are some out there. (And secretly question if people are forcing feeler gauges in under the cam lobe when measuring but I know you know better…)

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

... but it's not as easy when you get older.

...or to be as enthusiastic about it.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, skipperT said:

Then you must be measuring it wrong, BN!

🤣

yeah you probably just won the cylinder head lottery. That is rare for sure, I’m still in disbelief that there are some out there. (And secretly question if people are forcing feeler gauges in under the cam lobe when measuring but I know you know better…)

-Skip

Hahaha shit, way to break my heart! 🤣

I do wonder if riding style makes a difference. I don’t valve bounce like I used to and much prefer to use the abundant torque of the engine.

It is probably a once every couple of months if that when it gets ridden in anger! 😂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1