Access and remove FJ-09 ECU

mjsracing

Easier if the tank is not full!
1) Remove seats and adjuster plastic thing.
01Seats-Adjuster.jpg

2) Remove the top tank shroud.

This is the left side.
02Tankshroud.jpg

This is the back.
03TankShroud.jpg

3) Remove the turn signal plates.

04LSignalPlate.jpg

05LsignalPlate.jpg

06LSignallConnector.jpg

4) Remove right and left tank shrouds

07RTankShroud.jpg

5) Remove rear tank trim

08TankTrim.jpg

09RearTankTrim.jpg

6) Remove front and rear tank mount bolts. Note that the rear of the tank will drop a bit when the rear bolts are removed.

10RearTankMountBolts.jpg

7) Gently tilt the back of the tank up and disconnect the vent and overflow hoses. Keep track of which is which. Disconnect the fuel pump power connector.

11VentOverflow.jpg

8) Disconnect the fuel pump power connector. Leave the fuel line connected.

12FuelPumpPowerConnector.jpg

9) Gently lift and slide the tank back to expose the ECU at the front.

13TankBack.jpg

10) Unplug the ECU connectors and slide the ECU out. The connector release tabs are on the bottom side of the connectors.

14ECUConnectors.jpg

That's it!

Let me know if you have any questions.

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Used your ECU removal instructions to flash my ECU and they are very good, Thank you.
I bought a flashtune kit and proceded to flash away. I will do a ride review tomorrow and see how things came out.
I just did some basic things and loaded an M4 fuel map for an FZ-09.
Here is a picture of the flashtune software and what I accessed (nothing changed above ECU SETTINGS):
Flash%20Tune%20FJ-09Flash%20Tune%20FJ-09FlashtuneFJ-09_1stAnnotated_zpsrbm72b6h.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Used your ECU removal instructions to flash my ECU and they are very good, Thank you. I bought a flashtune kit and proceded to flash away. I will do a ride review tomorrow and see how things came out.
Here is a picture of the flashtune software and what I accessed (nothing changed above ECU SETTINGS):
Flash%20Tune%20FJ-09Flash%20Tune%20FJ-09

You know for LESS then what you paid for the flashing stuff, you could have had it flashed by our vendor for less AND have it be perfect?

• Premium Member
Used your ECU removal instructions to flash my ECU and they are very good, Thank you. I bought a flashtune kit and proceded to flash away. I will do a ride review tomorrow and see how things came out.
Flash%20Tune%20FJ-09Flash%20Tune%20FJ-09

You know for LESS then what you paid for the flashing stuff, you could have had it flashed by our vendor for less AND have it be perfect?
I like to tinker and you do not know what I paid nor do I want the down time (ya, maybe only one week, but.....). 

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Easier if the tank is not full! 1) Remove seats and adjuster plastic thing.

2) Remove the top tank shroud.

This is the left side.

This is the back.

3) Remove the turn signal plates.

4) Remove right and left tank shrouds

5) Remove rear tank trim

6) Remove front and rear tank mount bolts. Note that the rear of the tank will drop a bit when the rear bolts are removed.

7) Gently tilt the back of the tank up and disconnect the vent and overflow hoses. Keep track of which is which. Disconnect the fuel pump power connector.

11VentOverflow.jpg

8) Disconnect the fuel pump power connector. Leave the fuel line connected.

12FuelPumpPowerConnector.jpg

9) Gently lift and slide the tank back to expose the ECU at the front.

10) Unplug the ECU connectors and slide the ECU out. The connector release tabs are on the bottom side of the connectors.

14ECUConnectors.jpg

That's it!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Not sure exactly when after removing the tank fasteners, but you can just twist the tank 180 degrees and not have to disconnect all the power and hoses.  Worked on the FZ and on the FJ.  Just rotate it and set on seat.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 2 months later...
I'm with ulewz, where'd you pick up the flash software and cables from mate? Pm me if you need to, I'm a tinkerer by trade! All respect to 2 wheel d/w but I'm too far away to send my ecu anywhere and it'd be cool to have a looksie inside, do they supply generic maps like power commanders?

• 1 month later...

After taking a nice spirited ride to lower the fuel level, I jumped in confidently, after viewing your post and pulled the ECU. Thank you for this thread mjsracing. It took me a total of 30 minutes after reading your post. Without this, would have taken me quite a bit longer with all the fasteners. :):)linky
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 1 month later...
I could not get the ECU plugs to release, so I took the tank all the way off just to get it out of the way. The fuel line has a orange connector lock that you slide over to the big hole and slide the orange connector lock off, then then there are two buttons on another connector that you squeeze to disconnect the line. You can see the orange connector lock a few pictures above. Be careful to not scratch the tank on the bottom of the handle bar, which I didn't do. But the bottom of the tank did scratch the frame up by the motor, I just was not keeping close enough watch on that and got a few small scratches on the frame.

• 2 weeks later...
Great instructions and photos. Thanks! You saved me a few headaches and some head scratching. FYI you can still access the ECU without disconnecting the hoses and fuel pump by just putting a stick on top of the airbox. I used a PVC pipe and it worked no problem. Also, for those who are having difficulty removing the ECU connectors, just use some needlenose pliers.

I managed to get the ECU out by myself with a full tank. It wasn't easy but I found that wedging a flathead screwdriver underneath the clips and they popped out. The retaining clips that hold the ECU in were the more difficult ones but again, a flathead screwdriver and some dexterity with my right hand helped slip it out.

Archived