2023 Tracer 9 GT -- Fugly dash gone? Adaptive cruise? What about the dumb seat?

Check out this article on Cycle World ... focuses on possible adaptive cruise control but also teases a proper dash instead of the dumb-faced split dash that is there on the current model. Test rider is sitting on the seat or else we might also get a hint whether they cured this other problem.

Regarding the cruise control ... I think that is a nonsense upgrade given this price point. They should first fix the cruise control so that you can activate it at more than 28 mph and lower than 4 gear (this for my 2019 900GT). Otherwise leave the cruise control alone and focus on other design missteps. The dash is a good start and the twitchy ride by wire throttle and weak rear brake are two others. Oh, and the U-shaped seat should also be fixed. After all that then I might consider a new one. 😏

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I have no issues with the seat on mine. Maybe me being 24 is the primary reason. You should see the stock seat honda shipped the VFR1200 with LOL. 

Dash is meh, i can see what i need to see so its not an issue. The fact that they are making it "in-line" with practically every other motorcycle out there (just a small ipad) does nothing for me in all honesty, I kinda like having something that looks different and i appreciate Yamaha trying something new.

Cruise control wise it would be nice to be able to engage it at slower speeds, but tbh in city traffic i wouldn't use it anyway. It works for highway mile munching, and that's what i need it for.

The rear brake on mine is perfect, 0 change needed.

Throttle is good too, at least compared to similar priced bikes there are no issues with the T9, they just need to remove the strange "hump" that occurs when you decelerate. 

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Check out this article on Cycle World ... focuses on possible adaptive cruise control but also teases a proper dash instead of the dumb-faced split dash that is there on the current model. Test rider is sitting on the seat or else we might also get a hint whether they cured this other problem.

Regarding the cruise control ... I think that is a nonsense upgrade given this price point. They should first fix the cruise control so that you can activate it at more than 28 mph and lower than 4 gear (this for my 2019 900GT). Otherwise leave the cruise control alone and focus on other design missteps. The dash is a good start and the twitchy ride by wire throttle and weak rear brake are two others. Oh, and the U-shaped seat should also be fixed. After all that then I might consider a new one. 😏

You should consider sending your ECU to Ivan's Performance for a reflash.  It will smooth out the throttle response and it also removes all restrictions on the cruise control so that it can be used in all gears at all speeds.  

Ivan's Performance Products (ivansperformanceproducts.com)

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

You should consider sending your ECU to Ivan's Performance for a reflash.  It will smooth out the throttle response and it also removes all restrictions on the cruise control so that it can be used in all gears at all speeds.  

Great tip, thanks. I’ll consider it if I keep the bike much longer. But for me I should not have to do this. I already paid my money and bought the bike … shouldn’t have to spend more to fix what should have been right  from the start. If Ivan can do it so can Yamaha, no?

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Sunde said:

I have no issues with the seat on mine. Maybe me being 24 is the primary reason. You should see the stock seat honda shipped the VFR1200 with LOL. 

Glad you like your bike. Mine has no deceleration hump and the rest of the issues are subjective, and for me it is nothing to do with age although at my age things become less acceptable when there are options. Yamaha can have a great sport tourer and a value leader if they fix the issues I mentioned. Until then people just have to “settle” or move on. For me it’s a hard pass on the present T9.

4 hours ago, Sunde said:

Dash is meh, i can see what i need to see so its not an issue. The fact that they are making it "in-line" with practically every other motorcycle out there (just a small ipad) does nothing for me in all honesty, I kinda like having something that looks different and i appreciate Yamaha trying something new.

Cruise control wise it would be nice to be able to engage it at slower speeds, but tbh in city traffic i wouldn't use it anyway. It works for highway mile munching, and that's what i need it for.

The rear brake on mine is perfect, 0 change needed.

Throttle is good too, at least compared to similar priced bikes there are no issues with the T9, they just need to remove the strange "hump" that occurs when you decelerate. 

I feel the same as you.  Out of all the motorcycles I've owned or ridden the Tracer 9GT is the most comfortable and versatile  of all.  Maybe because I'm north of 70 and my butt is used to bicycle racing saddles is why the stock seat feels good to me.  As for the dash, I like that it gives me all the info I need and is configurable to some degree, my only gripe is that sometimes I can't see the clock but when I'm riding I don't really care about the time.

• Thumbsup 1

I don't see adaptive c.c. to be any kind of upgrade. I wouldn't want it on any variant of MT I will more than likely buy or on my Wing for that matter. And have no need what so ever to set c.c. at anything under hwy speeds and gears. The dash is fugly as hell on the Tracer. But I rarely if ever pay any attention to the dash when riding. I know how fast I'm going,,, the engine tells me what I need to know about rpm and a quick squiggle and I know my fuel load. I have no need of knowing the time or temp when riding. The saddle issue isn't a issue for me. I'm 6'3"/250 lb. and dwarf all motorcycles and there has never been a bike built that fits my bucket butt or frame. In the event I do secure a good deal on a Tracer the bar risers will be setup in the forward position, pegs in the lower setting with the seat in the high position and roll with it. As far as the snatchy throttle it's just the way it goes now days. And many of us in the old days tuned for a snatchy if not completely abrupt throttle. You should hear the Wingers complain about the abrupt nature of the throttle in Sport mode. They cry like little baby's about it. Some can't even skill up for Touring mode and piddle around in Eco mode be it a DCT or 6MT. For me any of the MT series of bikes are thrash about scooters. Fun, abrupt hell raising corner straitening rides. I embrace the rage a MT series bike would give me. That's the whole point of me wanting to buy one. I don't think for one min. a Tracer really is a sport touring bike at any level. That's FJR Yamaha is killing off. 

5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Thanks for the link!

3 hours ago, psyshack said:

That's FJR Yamaha is killing off. 

Yeah, that’s how I figure it, too. I put 24k miles on a 2014 Feejer and then sold it for a Harley. I kinda liked the FJR, but the fairing cramped my long legs and it was red. Never ever buy a red motorcycle said self. It was mechanically flawless. It never had a hiccup.

My 2021 Tracer is a worthy replacement for FJR. It is easily as capable, even with the smaller motor. The gone shaft drive isn’t much of a bother really, and the power saved helps Tracer keep up with FJR. The panniers are better on Tracer.  The electronics are better, more evolved on Tracer. Tracer gets much better mileage and a 5 gal tank that gives a plus-200 mile range.  Also, Tracer costs less.

I much prefer Tracer to FJR. Coming up on six months owning and riding this Tracer. Loving it. Will pass 10k miles tmrw. And not a single problem worth remembering. 

• Thumbsup 4

3 hours ago, psyshack said:

I don't see adaptive c.c. to be any kind of upgrade. I wouldn't want it on any variant of MT I will more than likely buy or on my Wing for that matter. And have no need what so ever to set c.c. at anything under hwy speeds and gears. The dash is fugly as hell on the Tracer. But I rarely if ever pay any attention to the dash when riding. I know how fast I'm going,,, the engine tells me what I need to know about rpm and a quick squiggle and I know my fuel load. I have no need of knowing the time or temp when riding. The saddle issue isn't a issue for me. I'm 6'3"/250 lb. and dwarf all motorcycles and there has never been a bike built that fits my bucket butt or frame. In the event I do secure a good deal on a Tracer the bar risers will be setup in the forward position, pegs in the lower setting with the seat in the high position and roll with it. As far as the snatchy throttle it's just the way it goes now days. And many of us in the old days tuned for a snatchy if not completely abrupt throttle. You should hear the Wingers complain about the abrupt nature of the throttle in Sport mode. They cry like little baby's about it. Some can't even skill up for Touring mode and piddle around in Eco mode be it a DCT or 6MT. For me any of the MT series of bikes are thrash about scooters. Fun, abrupt hell raising corner straitening rides. I embrace the rage a MT series bike would give me. That's the whole point of me wanting to buy one. I don't think for one min. a Tracer really is a sport touring bike at any level. That's FJR Yamaha is killing off. 

I've owned more than a few sport touring and adventure touring machines, and my 20 Tracer GT is hands down my favorite and it just eats the miles and twisty roads up. 

• Thumbsup 2