Santa came early this year! Were you all naughty or nice?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member

Got this from Santa this week. Very excited in that it will be retiring a 9-year old Schuberth C3 Pro. Shoei J-Cruise II. Pinlock on order.

Was considering a Sena SRL2 to go with it until I learned that the bluetooth spec 4.2 is supposed to be deprecated come February 2025. Latest bluetooth spec and deprecation/withdrawal dates can be found at the following: Specifications – Bluetooth® Technology Website

3 years is not that far off so I'm leaning towards a Cardo Freecom 4X with bluetooth specification 5.1 to push out my bluetooth obsolescence out a few more years.

20221212_bluetooth_spec_SRL2_sena.jpg

20221212_bluetooth_spec_SRL2.jpg

20221212_bluetooth_spec.jpg

590274D8-C94E-42BA-B704-8846EAA6B08B.jpeg

5AE1823A-9C87-4012-951A-E40B762BBCB5.jpeg

E51E97C5-68BF-49FC-9758-E9DCA2458417.jpeg

9BD30D04-4FD3-4065-AD91-ECBC697EF01E.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• maximNikenGT changed the title to Santa came early this year! Were you all naughty or nice?
  • Premium Member

I'd feel naked without a chin bar in front of my mouth!

I started out with a full face in 72 and then for a time had a Bell open face but not for long...

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Looks like great gear!  Someone's sure looking forward to spring!!

If I might ask, why the concern with Bluetooth standards - are you looking for specific features?  My old(er) Bluetooth crap all still interconnects as desired - it's not like it just stops working.

As for who's been naughty or nice - I've been naughty this year, but got an Atlas for myself, my g/f, and my dad for our spring ride:

image.thumb.png.e4ba15d57696a9dfb567a71f3823f5f8.png

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

I looked at McCruise long and hard, but ultimately decided on a mechanical solution.  On-chip/electronic cruise would be great as a standard feature, but I'm not motivated enough to install one.  The cost/time benefit just isn't there for me when all I really want is the occasional break for my wrist because I rather enjoy maintaining speed manually.  A mechanical solution provides me with 90% of the same usefulness, and yet still forces me to be alert.  Personal preference only.  If my family doesn't like theirs, the Atlas should hold some value for them and they can sell it in favour of something they'd prefer; wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

17 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Got this from Santa this week. Very excited in that it will be retiring a 9-year old Schuberth C3 Pro. Shoei J-Cruise II. Pinlock on order.

Was considering a Sena SRL2 to go with it until I learned that the bluetooth spec 4.2 is supposed to be deprecated come February 2025. Latest bluetooth spec and deprecation/withdrawal dates can be found at the following: Specifications – Bluetooth® Technology Website

3 years is not that far off so I'm leaning towards a Cardo Freecom 4X with bluetooth specification 5.1 to push out my bluetooth obsolescence out a few more years.

Big thanks for the update of Bluetooth.  Had a 2013 Chevy Volt with OnStar that used the old cellular system that was going away early 2022.  Sold it to my son-in-law a couple of years ago - I didn't worry as he got a super good deal on it.  Amazing how many cars were bought out on that.  

I like to keep my stuff for a while but more recently have gone thru Bluetooth headsets with a Cardio 1+ the a 4+ and then got a 2X when I bought a new helmet earlier this year.  Dropped it a month ago walking into a restaurant.  Was from a little more than waist high and no chips in the paint but will probably replace it next year.  Had a Sent SMH10 for several years but had to buy a baseplate to be able to use earbuds with it.  The earbud plug was a very short cable out of it and did not last that long.  Cardio is much easier to use earbuds with, just unplug the speakers and plug in the earbuds.  For local trips I use the speakers for on long trips or interstate riding I use earbuds.  I have two helmets and can swap back and forth but wind up mostly using the new (dropped) one.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, knyte said:

Looks like great gear!  Someone's sure looking forward to spring!!

If I might ask, why the concern with Bluetooth standards - are you looking for cspecific features?  My old(er) Bluetooth crap all still interconnects as desired - it's not like it just stops working.

As for who's been naughty or nice - I've been naughty this year, but got an Atlas for myself, my g/f, and my dad for our spring ride:

image.thumb.png.e4ba15d57696a9dfb567a71f3823f5f8.png

Good question on the Bluetooth specification concern. It is primarily due to data security concerns and because I change out cell phone hardware on average  every three years.

Iphone 13 currently uses Bluetooth 5.0 and Apple frequently rolls out security patches based upon particular specifications. Have heard too many horror stories of folks getting their info hacked and this is one of the few ways one can try to protect their information by using the latest specs with the latest patch updates.

I generally try to keep my hardware operating within the same version spec. Call this paranoid or a possible by-product of my day job.  

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Call this paranoid or a possible by-product of my day job

No, that makes perfect sense!! I so rarely use Bluetooth, except for riding, I don't really think about it - it's transient usage.  Which could make me vulnerable, I suppose.

Reminds me of the time I was in a restaurant with a friend who had Nethunter installed on his cell phone.  Oooo the fun we had that night.  'nuff said.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I don't want to be bothered while out on the bike, I do have a Sena but rarely utlize it anymore unless riding with one of my buds......as for a proper modular helemt "I LOVE THEM".

What is your preferred flip front lid

• Supporting Member
On 12/12/2022 at 7:06 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I'd feel naked without a chin bar in front of my mouth!

I agree.  Having ridden dirt bikes for over 45 years, I know what can happen when crashing even at slower speeds ( I have pulled lots of turf and debris out of my mouth guard and visor), I definitely wouldn't want my face exposed if something happened at highway speeds on pavement.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I don't want to be bothered while out on the bike, I do have a Sena but rarely utlize it anymore unless riding with one of my buds......as for a proper modular helemt "I LOVE THEM".

I basically use it for music. I don't have any friends that use comms. My son has one and comes in several times a year and I go up to see him several times a year. So that's about all the "comms" it will likely see.

• Thumbsup 3

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA