• Supporting Member

Thought I'd start a thread on how to change the coolant on your Niken. According to the manual coolant should be changed every three years so this will be a first for my 2019 Niken GT. Manual illustrates the procedure as follows. 

DCCD19D7-6944-40EA-9A25-46A221A55944.png

C489B1D1-E9F2-4910-B176-200C0EC9D090.png

9950E40B-357A-4A28-BEB7-9F8001F22E61.png

I'll add photos of my actual experience as I perform the replacement.

Anyone happen to have the part code for the new washer/gasket needed for the coolant drain bolt?

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Thanks @maximNikenGT - This further validates my theory that the factory service manuals actually discourage people from doing their own maintenance.  At first glance, that's three pages of details that look intimidating as hell..... The exploded parts diagram is an especially nice touch. :)

But once you read through it and process the content, it's super easy:

• remove radiator cap
  • unbolt & flip over coolant tank to drain
  • remove one drain bolt from water pump housing
  • drain coolant
  • reassemble in reverse order
  • fill with coolant and ride

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 

-Scott

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1

Agreed; it ain't hard.

Also, there's no need at all to "flush" the coolant. Just drain and refill on a vaguely reasonable schedule. Maybe rinse out the expansion tank if it seems a little crusty in there.

I will say that a long and/or flexible funnel can be super-useful for reaching the filler with a minimum amount of spillage. Not sure about the Niken specifically, but it's helpful on other bikes.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, TomTracer said:

No "burping" of the radiator required? That is always a pita.

After filling or changing the coolant I have always ran the bike on the sidestand with the radiator cap off until it gets up to temp, the open filler neck is the highest point of the system allowing air to escape.  I have never encountered trapped air using that method.

Another thing I do is pour new coolant in S L O W L Y so it doesnt bubble and gurgle, air has time to escape as liquid is filling the system.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

When I did my CP3 there was little to no chance of an air bubble.  Super straightforward process.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Rare to change on a car, so why on a motorcycle? 

A lot of autos recommend every 3 years /30,000 miles

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

With today's modern long life coolants, every 5 years is plenty on a bike..... or at valve check time.  Just use common sense with the maintenance schedule and recognize some are revenue generators like the all-too-frequent spark plug changes......

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member

I think owning a bike makes me maintain my cars MORE than I had previously.  After picking up a pnumatic brake flush kit, I do all of my vehicles now.  It's surprising how fast the fluid discolours from humidity.  Not sure I've ever done that unless I had to for some reason - never preventative, lol.  Coolant, too - I try to drain & replace ~5 years or so - never did that unless performing a thermostat swap out or something.  Every battery has a tender now - under the hood or on the bench.

I'd say owning bikes has made me a bit more cognizant of preventative maintanence and how easy it is.  It's cheaper to maintain something than rebuild or replace it.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Brake fluid is hygroscopic so yes, but "scientifically" I am betting that coolant is more effective longer than we are told or realize. Many of use treat our bikes like they are made of glass, wonder why this is? :) 

• Thumbsup 2