TRACER 9 GT wobbling

Hello Guys,

I have TRACER GT 9 2022 and im facing wobbling at the 160-170km/h , I even changed my windscreen to a shorter one, Any suggestions ?

NOTE: on my 2020 i never had the same problem

Is it related to the front tire? lowering the front suspension would help?

• Thumbsup 1

Have you tried the same speed without the side cases?

I had an opportunity to run my old V-Strom at speed a number of years ago.  It had a scary, low amplitude, wobble when I approached the sort of speed with my luggage attached.

advrider-photobucket-images-2.jpg

• Like 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

32 minutes ago, Farzad Parish said:

I have no side cases or any type of  bags, Im confused why it happening even I'm scared to go over 160/170

And no top box? Top boxes/cases have been known to cause instability at his speeds. Look at this video and see if you have a similar problem but at a higher speed.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

My 2020 900 GT is rock solid even with a top case, side cases and a 58 liter duffle bag on the rear seat.  Even with OEM tires it didn't have the wobble.  Replaced them with Road 5's and no issues.  On the front I've run OEM, Road 5 Pilot Power 5 and now the Road 6 all without issue.

This is the first time I've heard of wobbling on the T 9 GT.  I would look into:

Front tire - maybe defective or mounted incorrectly

Tire pressures - presume you have done that

Setup - are suspension settings where they should be for you and your normal luggage

head bearings

wheel bearings

On my T 900 GT is did drop the front by 7mm but it already had 3,000 miles on it before that.  

• Thumbsup 4

The front end is very light on these bikes, I am honestly shocked there isn't more issue with this. I had this issue with my 650 VStrom and it ended up being the steering stem bearings, upgraded them to tapered kits and issue went bye bye. That isn't the norm however, as more than a few simple culprits can cause a wobble or tank slapper. The obvious is front tire issue and proper suspension sag/adjustment, again these bikes have a light front end compared to many, and that will exacerbate an issue most certainly. I won't install a top case for that reason, well that and I think looks awful on a bike like this. :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Light front end…….. how do you know?

Feeling light isnt the same as not having enough weight on the front.

Has anyone put scales under the wheels to see how much weight is on each wheel?

For discussion..a 500 lb motorcycle will have 250 lbs on each wheel with a 50/50 weight distribution.  
There are ways to move the weight distribution around getting more weight on a wheel. 
A 40/60 weight distribution puts 200 lbs on the front and 300 on the rear. And so on. 
Whats the weight distribution on a Tracer?

How mich weight is on each wheel? This will change depending on the configuration of the motorcycle. 

FWIW……my 19 GT started to have some level of instability in certain conditions when I put on street legal track tires. With the Road 5s, there never was a issue. Now, dirty air from semis will cause some instability at times. I am running lower pressures in the street legal track tires than I ran with the Road 5s.

There may have been a few times in the hills that speeds over a 100 might have been reached and the tracer was planted. Then get on the freeway around semis and not as planted.

Ive never gotten the feeling the front end was too light. 

• Thumbsup 2

I have owned more than a few motorcycles, and this one is "by far" the least top heavy and easiest to steer/maneuver and flick around that I have ever owned. I have also ridden many supersports as well, and they for being so light have a very "planted" front end which leads to great stability, of course most have better than average suspension as well. :) Of course the front end on the Tracer is also very light feeling, as it is so easy to loft that front tire off the pavement. LOL