Corbin Seat on the Way

Guys; just put the bike up for sale but have the Corbin on order. When it comes in, it will be for sale. Just a heads up if anybody wants a new black Corbin seat.
[br If you dont mine why you selling your bike?
How much you want for the seat?
Only selling it because I made the mistake of riding a 2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle springer Harley yesterday and I bought it. The Yamaha is a great machine.  I have it listed for sale in this forum.
Since the seat will be new in box, I will sell for $500.00 shipped.  That is what it cost me.  For someone who wants the seat without the 8 week wait, it will be worth it.  I do not have the seat yet.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After my first long day ride I'm online emailing Corbin about what they have for the FJ-09. Now I'm waiting for the seat,  then it's onto the windscreen. Corbin's are firm and the workmanship is top-rate.  None of my bikes have stock seats.

15J09-05FJR1300-07DL1000-16GSX1000S

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any alternatives to the Corbin yet? Just came back from 800 miles in 2 days and I can hardly sit down. The Corbin is just too massive for my tastes - and that backrest! Looks like a toilet seat for midgets!

Have invested in an Airhawk for longer rides as a stop gap- at least I can take it off for hooning around the neighbourhood.

Are there any alternatives to the Corbin yet? Just came back from 800 miles in 2 days and I can hardly sit down. The Corbin is just too massive for my tastes - and that backrest! Looks like a toilet seat for midgets!  
Have invested in an Airhawk for longer rides as a stop gap- at least I can take it off for hooning around the neighbourhood.
It is big and solid for sure. The backrest is optional and removable. I ride without it normally. Few other options floating around on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
I got my Corbin seat last week and here are my initial impressions.

Install: Once I actually read the directions it want fine. You have to take the the plastic piece under the front seat to get it to fit right. I bumped off one of the rubber feet on the seat that is pop-riveted to the base. Easily fixed with a small sheetmetal screw but be careful those rivets are not very strong.
I got the heat option (I know but come on, who could resist?) and it's supposed to be wired straight to the battery. Not a great idea im my opinion because if you inadvertently bump the switch taking off the bags or the seat you will drain your battery. An FJ-09 with a dead battery is not a happy camper. I left the key on once and I had to fully charge it before it would run right - no jump starting. I plan to wire the seat up to a relay that's on switched power.

Look and Feel: It's a little more blocky than the photos on the website would lead you to believe but it's a nice seat and looks good. I got black leather on the seat surfaces and "asphalt" leather on the other parts and no welt. The "Corbin" logo I made black to  be subtle.  (Pics later if I get to it) If I had to do it over again I might opt for "Carbon fiber" leather on the non-seating areas to match the trim on the bike. The "Asphalt" does match the finish on the motor though. I like it.
The seat is MILES more secure and substantial than the tupperware and flimsy foam of the stocker. Unlike the stocker it does not move around and locks securely with its fiberglass base. 

The Ride: I have yet to take a long ride on it (updates later) but the initial impression is the same as I have had on all Corbins I have owned. It's hard and flat, but in a way that I think will serve well on longer trips. The stock seat seems to be designed to be almost ok for a 15 - 20 minute ride. it's soft and squishy and even though I bottom out the foam in places the illusion of comfort served to make short trip acceptable. The Corbin's foam is not going to bottom out.  The seat bones are fully supported and ti it wide and if anything slightly dish shaped after you sit on it. I always felt that the stocker was convex, trying to separate you at the hips on a long ride.  the Corbin does not give that impression on the short trips I have been on but We'll see what it's like on a long trip. Some custom seats like the famous Russell Day-Long and its imitators have winglike extensions on the sides to cradle your butt inwardly and that formula is widely praised by the Iron-Butt set even at the cost of looking a bit silly. Corbin does not go that far but I feel much more supported across the seat where the stocker felt like I was hanging off the sides and getting split in half especially when sitting forward. (I'm a 290 lb guy but not very big in the butt)

I'd love to see someone have Russell do their seat, or even better maybe have Russell do a Corbin seat pan since I'm not sure anything good can be made of the fairly pathetic plastic seatpans we get from Yamaha.

I will update this post when I get a good long ride in and/or when I take some pics of the bike

I think this is a fair review.  I've been on the seat now for 120+ mi rides and it is far more tolerable than the stock seat.  It is solid and with my custom fit I am very secure.  It is joy to sit down on this.  I am riding forward a bit and will get it adjusted in the fall at another ride in.  My opinion now is that much of my leg pain is a result of pegs too low for 32in inseams with the seat in a higher position.  My hamstrings are still too tight over the ridges.  If we round that off, I slide off the front.  It is a balance.  The Corbin still gives me some pressure, but not the sharp pain and hours of agony after. 

• 2 weeks later...
One more update. I put the stock seat back on for a trip to the service shop and I've rode it like this for a couple of days. The pain of using the stock seat compared to Corbin is very evident. I do like sitting a bit lower, but the pain produced by the flatness and hard edges is very clear now. So strange to have a soft foam to be so miserable.

I got my Corbin seat last week and here are my initial impressions. 
Install: Once I actually read the directions it want fine. You have to take the the plastic piece under the front seat to get it to fit right. I bumped off one of the rubber feet on the seat that is pop-riveted to the base. Easily fixed with a small sheetmetal screw but be careful those rivets are not very strong.
I got the heat option (I know but come on, who could resist?) and it's supposed to be wired straight to the battery. Not a great idea im my opinion because if you inadvertently bump the switch taking off the bags or the seat you will drain your battery. An FJ-09 with a dead battery is not a happy camper. I left the key on once and I had to fully charge it before it would run right - no jump starting. I plan to wire the seat up to a relay that's on switched power.

Look and Feel: It's a little more blocky than the photos on the website would lead you to believe but it's a nice seat and looks good. I got black leather on the seat surfaces and "asphalt" leather on the other parts and no welt. The "Corbin" logo I made black to  be subtle.  (Pics later if I get to it) If I had to do it over again I might opt for "Carbon fiber" leather on the non-seating areas to match the trim on the bike. The "Asphalt" does match the finish on the motor though. I like it.
The seat is MILES more secure and substantial than the tupperware and flimsy foam of the stocker. Unlike the stocker it does not move around and locks securely with its fiberglass base. 

The Ride: I have yet to take a long ride on it (updates later) but the initial impression is the same as I have had on all Corbins I have owned. It's hard and flat, but in a way that I think will serve well on longer trips. The stock seat seems to be designed to be almost ok for a 15 - 20 minute ride. it's soft and squishy and even though I bottom out the foam in places the illusion of comfort served to make short trip acceptable. The Corbin's foam is not going to bottom out.  The seat bones are fully supported and ti it wide and if anything slightly dish shaped after you sit on it. I always felt that the stocker was convex, trying to separate you at the hips on a long ride.  the Corbin does not give that impression on the short trips I have been on but We'll see what it's like on a long trip. Some custom seats like the famous Russell Day-Long and its imitators have winglike extensions on the sides to cradle your butt inwardly and that formula is widely praised by the Iron-Butt set even at the cost of looking a bit silly. Corbin does not go that far but I feel much more supported across the seat where the stocker felt like I was hanging off the sides and getting split in half especially when sitting forward. (I'm a 290 lb guy but not very big in the butt)

I'd love to see someone have Russell do their seat, or even better maybe have Russell do a Corbin seat pan since I'm not sure anything good can be made of the fairly pathetic plastic seatpans we get from Yamaha.

I will update this post when I get a good long ride in and/or when I take some pics of the bike

Great review. Thanks. Cheers

One more update. I put the stock seat back on for a trip to the service shop and I've rode it like this for a couple of days. The pain of using the stock seat compared to Corbin is very evident. I do like sitting a bit lower, but the pain produced by the flatness and hard edges is very clear now. So strange to have a soft foam to be so miserable.
Thanks for the updates

• 2 weeks later...
I've had the Corbin seat for a little over 3 weeks and am very pleased.  I've put on about 500 miles mostly 20 to 40 miles at a time.  Yes, it is firm, but the support and stability are excellent.  I guess that the best recommendation I can give is that when riding, I am not conscious of the seat whereas wilth the stocker, I was always shifting to avoid discomfort. I am 6 feet tall and have a 31" inseam.  I can comfortably place both feet flat on the ground . The delivery time was 3 weeks and the customer service was excellent.  This was a worthwhile addition.  My bike is red and I got the red piping which makes for a distinctive look.

G8r

Archived