Best Full Face Helmet With Sun Visor?

10 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I tried one of those on the other day.  I also liked the fit.  I wasn’t ready to plop down $650 though.  I’d be curious to know if you find it quiet.

Mine was 380 out the door, spring sale at my local shop.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Modulars are noisy, even with ear plugs, which help.

I honestly don't notice a much difference in noise between my full face HJC and my modular AT950.

Its been awhile since my full face lids. I imagine the gap sealing on modulars is improved. I like modular regardless. BTW, www.thehelmetshop.com lists types of helmets by head shape by brand. Pricing is likely pretty typical. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I honestly don't notice a much difference in noise between my full face HJC and my modular AT950.

Same here. I have both and find them equally noisy/quiet. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 3/27/2023 at 12:58 PM, robzilla said:

I was following a thread regarding helmet comms and found that most folks liked the Shoei GT Air 2 which is what I bought recently. It's a full face with a built-in sun visor to match your requirements. As for the comms, seems its limited to the Sena SRL mesh or BT which I haven't had time to buy & install yet. It comes with pinlock as well for those cold mornings to prevent face-shield fogging. Comfortable and stylish so far, would recommend as well.

I agree with you the Shoei GT Air 2 is a great helmut. I think the most important thing is getting a good comfortable fit.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/28/2023 at 6:03 AM, Ride365 said:

Shoei Hornet X2, my bud has one and it's been his favorite helmet to date.......yes not cheap.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-hornet-x2-helmet

That Revzillia website is a great source of info (I forgot about it).  After looking at that helmet, it shows similar helmets one may be interested in.  There's quite a few of them with the "peak".

I like the electrical tape idea someone else mentioned here.  That may be my first attempt at a solution.

I've got A 3XL head, so sizing has always been a problem.  Trying one on for proper fit is a must, cost is distant secondary factor. 

I still got 3' of snow in my yard so not likely to get any riding in until late April, or early May.  The bike sits patiently (captive) in my basement in the meantime. 

• Thumbsup 2

9 minutes ago, Ride On said:

I like the electrical tape idea someone else mentioned here.  That may be my first attempt at a solution.

I tried tape on the upper visor a few years ago - then decided to put tape on top of the retractable sunglasses in my Shoei GT Air. I used blue painters tape. 

My shield is tinted, only pull the retractable sunglasses down when the sun angle is bad, then the tape is there so you can focus on the road and a bit above the road. Otherwise, no obstruction to view when sunglasses are retracted.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

On 3/30/2023 at 11:49 AM, Lone Wolf said:

I tried tape on the upper visor a few years ago - then decided to put tape on top of the retractable sunglasses in my Shoei GT Air. I used blue painters tape. 

My shield is tinted, only pull the retractable sunglasses down when the sun angle is bad, then the tape is there so you can focus on the road and a bit above the road. Otherwise, no obstruction to view when sunglasses are retracted.

That's an interesting idea, to put the tape on the pull down shaded visor instead on the main visor. I will give that a try. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 3/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, TomTracer said:

Scorpion makes a modular helmet, adjustable face shield and drop down sun shade, and visor like on a D/S helmet BUT the face shield cannot be raised with the visor attached. The visor snaps on. Price was $270. Modular is noisier of course. Might be an option to consider.

image.thumb.jpeg.36e01e4e9496470a6cdc683348106e29.jpeg

Can confirm.  I've got the Scorpion AT 960, and it's a great helmet.  The peak is of course removable but even at high speed it's pretty neutral in terms of catching the air.  Well designed to block sun without being a problem.  It comes with side covers so if you do want to remove the peak it just looks like a regular sport full face helmet too.

Modular portion can lock open so it's safe to ride with it open though I wouldn't, as it's VERY top heavy while open and absolutely does catch air badly too.

As you said, it's a modular so a bit louder than a normal full face, but it's significantly quieter than my old modular GMax MD01S.  Even with the chin curtain removed (I hate those) it's actually surprisingly quiet for a modular.

Newer ECE 0.26 rated too!

Edit: The visor and modular face CAN be opened with the peak attached.  The peak rotates backwards when the face is opened, and the visor opens directly under the peak. 

https://www.scorpionusa.com/product/exo-at960-solid/

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:54 PM, Kemp said:

I have tried this with decent success: https://www.aerostich.com/helmets/helmet-accessories/universal-helmet-sunblocker.html

Same concept as the electrical tape hack, but you can see through it.

I scrolled past an instagram ad for a polychromatic ("transitions") layer you can stick on your visor too - transparent at night, dims in the sunlight.  

Dunno how it'll be for optical clarity though; I'm always reluctant to add layers between my eyeballs and what I'm pointing them at.  IIRC it was ~$20 or so, so honestly something that would probably be worth trying for the OP.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

After a year of riding east in the morning/west in the afternoon, last night I bought a $170 LS2 Blaze helmet with a peak. Revzilla has a dual sport helmet section. I should have the helmet sometime next week.

I tried sunglasses + tinted visor and painters' tape across the top of an old visor, but it wasn't enough. I'm hoping the peak and a drop down tint visor are better. 

On 4/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, 1moreroad said:

After a year of riding east in the morning/west in the afternoon, last night I bought a $170 LS2 Blaze helmet with a peak. Revzilla has a dual sport helmet section. I should have the helmet sometime next week.

I tried sunglasses + tinted visor and painters' tape across the top of an old visor, but it wasn't enough. I'm hoping the peak and a drop down tint visor are better. 

I'll be interested in your thoughts regarding that helmet. I've been considering one for my dual sport.

• Thumbsup 1