Who recently posted about their Scot Oiler Install?

• Premium Member

I'm a scott oiler guy been so since probably eighty nine they came out in eighty three

I thought it was on this forum but it was actually on the FZ09 form so see below and if you have any questions feel free to message. Me

https://www.fz09.org/threads/who-recently-posted-about-their-scot-oiler-install.71361/#post-943230

https://www.scottoiler.com/us/explore-scottoiler/our-story/#fraser_scott__the_inventor

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I agree but it's been dependable but now either the needle or the seat is worn from probably 90000 miles and it drips a bit when it's off

Not enough to need more than a piece of paper towel under it

I've also been thinking about seriously about the Tutoro Trek kit

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/en-us/collections/frontpage/products/tutoro-auto-trek-kit

my only issue with the Scott Oiler on my 900 GT is it needs to be fiddled with.  On a long trip at constant engine speed it works well and can easily put too much oil on the chain.  For shorter local trips it seems to not do as well and needs to be turned up.  For the local riding I don't mind just using chain lube.  It's the long trips where it is more difficult to lube the chain.  Looks like the Tutoro Trek kit is similar to the basic ScottOiler. 

• Thumbsup 1

I am going to buy the Tuturo. Has anyone here installed one on a 9 GT? Tutoro gives you several installation options, would be great to see pictures.

On 5/9/2023 at 9:32 AM, lather said:

I am going to buy the Tuturo. Has anyone here installed one on a 9 GT? Tutoro gives you several installation options, would be great to see pictures.

I have on a 900GT (after an MT07, and also one on my Tenere 700).  The Tutoro is super easy to install on basically anything though, I wouldn't worry about it.  I usually use the sprocket side bobbin screw hole either with a bobbin or just with a screw and a small loop of steel strapping to secure the nozzle (MT07, Tracer) though on the Tenere I used the nozzle holder mount thing strapped on with zipties.  

Anyways, you can mount the reservoir to the rear pillion/bag mount. I BELIEVE it's pretty similar on the 9GT.  Mines there, attached via double sided tape and reinforced by the included zip ties.  That's held it securely for three years of 4 season daily riding:

16838660488853409898940917513203.thumb.jpg.a662412667e1059559b7ac55d90986e4.jpg

A recommendation: Order a spare nozzle when you order the kit.  They do wear down (I get about 30,000k out of one) but there are circumstances where you can get it caught in the sprocket while backing up into bushy stuff and lose the nozzle.  They're super cheap, like a dollar, so having a spare is worthwhile. 

Thanks for the info and the photo, very helpful. I was studing the 9 GT yesterday and have decided on the same basic location.

Edited by lather

16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

More better pics WD please. 

Sure, anything in particular you're interested in?  

I'm working a night shift, so these aren't really *better* but at least more.

Rear of the reservoir mount:

20230512_215356.thumb.jpg.73585e6248573812982b66a0b8dd8e33.jpg

The line runs back along the passenger peg, loops near the swingarm pivot (minimizes movement of the line) abd runs back along the swingarm to the rear sprocket.  The steel strapping I use to hold the final bit by the bobbin (Skylift bobbin in this pic, was a random bolt before) is this stuff: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dahl-all-round-strapping-galvanized-24ga-3-4-inch-x-25-feet/1000115952 (or similar, it's super useful to have around the shop for a wide range or purposes)

20230512_215453.thumb.jpg.cb57077717e805393fcb581abdd39127.jpg

As to how it works? That chain has been on the bike for at least a year, maybe two? It's never been cleaned or lubed manually.

It works *extremely* well. And you can see the reservoir from the side of the bike so you can see when you need to add more oil. 

Tutoro is pretty specific about the types of oil to use (and not use) to prolong the use of the oiler.  I've always used the hydraulic oil they recommend (I'm not ordering their oil from the UK to run) and it's dirt cheap at $10cdn/gallon or so and has performed fabulously at all temperatures. I run roughly a reservoir (an ounce?) per 300m/500km miles. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Thanks WD!

What Hydraulic oil do you use, brand, pn or grade weight?

I've liked the Tutoro but since Covid or until lately it was hard to get.

It's no more $ than a vacuum Scott so maybe I'll finely pull the trigger.

I mounted the Lubeman oiler I had but couldn't get to work to the front vertical portion of the Shad 3P SH36 pannier mount (they're the best, biggest and lightest side cases I've ever had!), and the location was perfect.  I also used 2 of the bolts that clamp the aluminum stiffened inside the swing arm to secure the feeder hose and the ĺoops are still there.

Also not vacuum hookup like the ancient Scott on my VTR 

I followed Tutoro's compatibility guide:

Mineral Hydraulic Oil ISO 68/100 for temps up to 30°c and ISO 220 for higher ambient temps can be used as an alternative to TUTORO Oil, however this is at your own risk. Other mineral oils may also be compatible but its use is at the users own risk. See our page on Plastics and Lubricant compatibility.

I'm going to guess it's the 68/100 I'm running now, but I'll confirm when I get home.

• Thumbsup 1