Who recently posted about their Scot Oiler Install?

10 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Thank you for actually explaining it. This is my first chain bike that will be sticking around for awhile. I'm just trying to ask questions to understand what's going on. Opinions on chain maintenance seems to be widely varied.

I've only put about 600 miles on my Tracer so far. When I got it the chain was pretty wet. The area you would expect to have lube flung to was covered in lube. To the point of it dripping off the bike. I'd like to keep that from happening again.

Hah my first couple bikes (well, not my FIRST bike, but basically all of them from the 90's to 2018) where shaft drive.  I treated the first bike's chain like absolute garbage, and it actually broke and fell off while I was riding, though thankfully non-destructively.  I think these decades of shaft drive bikes really contribute to my love of auto-oilers - I just couldn't be bothered to clean and lube a chain on a weekly (or faster!) basis.

Chain maintenance is a huuuuuge topic and everyone has their own take on it.   Frankly, as long as you keep it clean and lubricated, it's actually pretty hard to go wrong, and it's more just a matter of what sorts of things are an issue for you personally.

Cleaning, as long as you're not using something that will actually degrade the orings (not really a problem anymore, as basically any cleaner or even wd40(gasp! heresy!)/diesel/kerosene is fine) then it just doesn't matter much. 

But for lubing?  Holy hell, there's so many options, all with pros and cons.  Generally speaking they all protect the chain just as well, but...

• Gear oil, the oldschool favourite, is super cheap and very effective, but it's a very thick oil that will get flung off in larger splatters.  I suspect this is what was on your chain.  I actually used this myself for quite a while, to good results, but splatter is definitely an issue (way worse than an auto-oiler with a fine mineral oil).  Nothing stays on the chain, as it's just flung off. 
  • Chain wax lasts a very long time and works super well, but it's very sticky so in a sandy or dusty environment it can be counterproductive, holding abrasive sand in and making your chain look dirtier.  If you live in a wetter environment where there's not a lot of dust and sand, however, it's absolutely awesome for low maintenance long term protection.  
  • Everything else tends to fall somewhere on a spectrum between the two and frankly, any product designed for motorcycle chains will work just as well with the caveat that there's always pros and cons.  You can't really go wrong, though, just find the one that works best for you.

I really like how the lightweight mineral oil in my auto-oiler works, but you couldn't use it manually as it just wouldn't last long enough.  

For auto oilers... I mean, everyone has their favorites.  Frankly, all of the automatic ones do a good enough job.  Scotoilers are fantastic but expensive and require electric (or worse, imho) vacuum tie ins.  Electric is fine, I wouldn't get a vacuum operated one simply because that introduces failure points.  Nobody likes diagnosing vacuum leaks.  The upside is that you can dial in a specific setting that (AFAIK) remains constant regardless of termperature.  My Tutoro's have been 100% bulletproof and reliable, and other than being physically attached to the bike have no electrical or vacuum connections.  They operate on vibration, so they're running when they bike is moving and not when it's stopped.  The downside is that they use a manual screw valve to set flow rate, so you need to seasonally adjust it (or it'll flow fast in the summer and slow in the winter due to oil viscosity). 

There are others that work on wind pressure - they seem like they'd work fine as well, but would have slightly more fiddly installation as they'd need to be exposed to wind.  There are others that aren't really even auto oilers but rather manual - you turn a dial to dispense a bit of oil.  They'd work, but seem to defeat the purpose IMHO. I'd forget to do it.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I too use a 'auto/manual' oiler and apply it just a little bit at a time.  And I think importantly, is to apply it when you're  just doodling around at low speeds.  This, I imagine, is when the oil has more of a chance to work its magic and less chance of immediately being flung off.

Like many others, I've used all sorts of expensive chain lubes but the one I'm the happiest with is the one recommended by the manufacturer of the chain I'm currently running - gear oil (80W-90).  Sure it has a small amount of fling but leaves my chain the cleanest for the longest of all the 'flash' lubes I've used in the past.  When I look closely at the chain it's very apparent that the 'O' rings ('X' in my case) are always 'damp' with oil without being 'wet'.

An occasional wipe down with a clean rag and it's shining like a new pin again. 😄

image.thumb.png.a8136e804eaaf11b37a274cfba3e34c9.png

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

Cleaning, as long as you're not using something that will actually degrade the orings (not really a problem anymore, as basically any cleaner or even wd40(gasp! heresy!)/diesel/kerosene is fine) then it just doesn't matter much. 

Interestingly, my modern D.I.D chain recommends NOT to use volatile solvents as per the Maintenance instructions.

• Premium Member

Interestingly, my modern D.I.D chain recommends NOT to use volatile solvents as per the Maintenance instructions.

HMMM... I've used Kerosene (paraffin to you) forever.  Maybe that's why I've been getting kinking links the last few chains.  I used to get 20k miles or so, now only maybe 17k; though I have been lazy and don't have an oiler on my FJ.

20230729_130509.jpg

6 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

HMMM... I've used Kerosene (paraffin to you) forever.  Maybe that's why I've been getting kinking links the last few chains.  I used to get 20k miles or so, now only maybe 17k; though I have been lazy and don't have an oiler on my FJ.

20230729_130509.jpg

What the heck is that hanging off your chain?

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

What the heck is that hanging off your chain?

It's a tensioner.  Once you have your chain to the desired tension, you set that nut in the middle/left to line up with the index mark.   Then, when you put this back onto your chain later, it'll show if your chain is tighter/looser, then you can adjust the adjusters while the device is still attached until it shows the proper tension.  I forget what they're called, but I see them on Instagram all the time :)

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

20230729_130509.jpg

Kerosene/Parrafin has long been my favourite cleaner, at least back in the days of cleaning chains.  I'd use diesel on road trips, because it was super easy to get a little bit from a gas pump hose without even turning it on.  Dampen a paper towel with it, wipe the chain down, oil it up again, carry on.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

It's a tensioner.  Once you have your chain to the desired tension, you set that nut in the middle/left to line up with the index mark.   Then, when you put this back onto your chain later, it'll show if your chain is tighter/looser, then you can adjust the adjusters while the device is still attached until it shows the proper tension.  I forget what they're called, but I see them on Instagram all the time :)

It may take a couple of tries even after you get the hang of using it but its repeatability and accuracy is hard to beat.  For $45 it was worth the gamble.  Tried the Chain Monkey first but it's repeatability and accuracy is just meh...

"Only Right Is Right" (GD Convair moto)

20230729_092750.jpg

20230729_130532.jpg

20230729_092608.jpg

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Wintersdark said:

Aaaaaaaaand today, I failed to do anything with it, because it had been stolen.  Here's hoping to recovery :(

I really, really loved that bike.

WHAT? REALLY?!!!

Come on!

Where was it parked?

Did you have it chained?  Did it have an alarm or tracker?

Wow!  BUMMER!

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Aaaaaaaaand today, I failed to do anything with it, because it had been stolen.  Here's hoping to recovery :(

I really, really loved that bike.

Damn, sorry to hear that.  There's not much worse than a low-life thief.

Hopefully there will be a positive outcome.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

WHAT? REALLY?!!!

Come on!

Where was it parked?

Did you have it chained?  Did it have an alarm or tracker?

Wow!  BUMMER!

Parked on the street in front of my house, stolen in the middle of the day while the wife and I took the Jeep out for groceries.  Unreal.  Bike theft is very uncommon here, and Tracers aren't really frequently stolen bikes.  At least (unlike my old Sportster) it's fully insured, and I've still got my Tenere which was in my garage, so I'm still riding. 

So now I've got a wait of a week or so to find out what's up with insurance/see if the police recover it.  I don't really expect it to be recovered to be honest.  Stranger things happen but my experience at least is that once the bike is gone, it's gone. 

No tracker or anything.  I'm seriously rethinking my feelings on those, though; as well as locks.  I mean, I'm well aware that they can be defeated, but... I'm curious if they broke the ignition and rode off, or just hucked it into a truck and drove off.

Sucks to hear about the theft.

Often, you're better off if they don't recover it.   Who knows what the thieving douche-bags have done to it.

Good luck.  I hope it works out for you. 

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

16 minutes ago, Heavy said:

Sucks to hear about the theft.

Often, you're better off if they don't recover it.   Who knows what the thieving douche-bags have done to it.

Good luck.  I hope it works out for you. 

Yeah.  There's a good probability they smashed the ignition to ride it (that's normally how it goes), and that often comes with a significant amount of collateral damage, and then who knows what else.  Parts availability is so bad right now, it'd end up spending forever in a shop getting fixed, and like you said: who knows what they're doing to it? 

If it gets paid out, I'm really not sure what I'll do.  There's a non-zero chance I take the cash, trade in the Tenere, and get an MT10SP.  I absolutely love the Tracer 900, but have no real interest in the Gen 3, and... I dunno, I don't think I'd be happy with a used Gen 2 - it wouldn't feel like mine, and the process to making it mine again (suspension work, probably needing to get back into the clutch, etc) would not be fun the second time.

Bike thieves are the worst.  The worst.  It's not really about the money at all (insurance and whatnot) but how much time and effort went into personalization and just the riding experiences.  It's awful.

Edit: Huh, I thought I posted the initial theft report in the "what did you do today" thread, not here in the scotoiler thread.  Ah well.  Not in the best frame of mind.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Parked on the street in front of my house, stolen in the middle of the day while the wife and I took the Jeep out for groceries.  Unreal.  Bike theft is very uncommon here, and Tracers aren't really frequently stolen bikes.  At least (unlike my old Sportster) it's fully insured, and I've still got my Tenere which was in my garage, so I'm still riding. 

So now I've got a wait of a week or so to find out what's up with insurance/see if the police recover it.  I don't really expect it to be recovered to be honest.  Stranger things happen but my experience at least is that once the bike is gone, it's gone. 

No tracker or anything.  I'm seriously rethinking my feelings on those, though; as well as locks.  I mean, I'm well aware that they can be defeated, but... I'm curious if they broke the ignition and rode off, or just hucked it into a truck and drove off.

Just another perfect example of why I'm not a fan of most humans.........so sorry this happened to you, thieves and looters need a hand cut off once caught. 

• Thumbsup 1