Heated gloves vs grips.

So my 2019 already has heated grips but I take my life in my hands when I’m trying to turn them on . Contemplating some new Five GTX Heated gloves and maybe eventually try some aftermarket heated grips with safer activation design if gloves don’t deliver. My gut feeling is they might perform better by heating back of the hands but battery time might be limiting factor? Time will tell.

Learn the proper star wheel technique and it can't be easier. I had a heck of a time with my 2020 900gt when new. It was me being too ham fisted. Scroll to the heated grip symbol, give a firm but quick push (don't be slow, or hold the push in). When symbol flashes, roll to the setting you wantand then push in on the star wheel and the flashing will stop. It really isn't hard to use if you work it a little. 

I've got heated gloves but they're bulky, and changing to aftermarket heated grips is totally not necessary IMO.

Until I got the technique figured out I pulled over to fool with it. Fighting it while moving is foolish, if not worse. IMO of course.

Edited by TomTracer
Added thought.
  • Thumbsup 8

12 hours ago, Darren69 said:

heated grips but I take my life in my hands when I’m trying to turn them on .

Like Tom, I don't do it when moving.

If I am feeling cold putting my gear on...  that is the time to flip the switch.

• Thumbsup 4
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

I'd keep the OEM heated grips.  They wheel can be fiddly at times, seems like when I rush it then it messes up but when calm it works well.   In cold weather heated gloves would be nice as the back of my hands gets cold.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

The OEM heated grips are much better than any aftermarket units; for sure.

Self-contained battery operated gloves for just motorcycling just don't make sense

Buy some that plug into a harness from your bike's battery along with a heated jacket liner.

IMO Warm n Safe is the best and give an AMA member discount and often have sales and other deductions.  Their single and dual heat trollers are great; and they have remote units.

Heated gloves are not often necessary unless you ride in temps below 40F; especially if you install some better handguards like from a 12~15 KTM Adventurer.

A heated jacket liner really extends the season and means you can often wear a lighter jacket, even a mesh one, in the morning, stow it when it warms up, and donn it later when evening comes.

Toe warmer packs and tri-laminate bicycling tights also can be a G-dsend when the mercury plummets or goes sideways, literally. 

• Thumbsup 3

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

tri-laminate bicycling tights also can be a G-dsend when the mercury plummets

Ah ... just stuff the front of your pants with toilet paper for extra insulation.  🤪

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Heated gloves are just too bulky for me, and agree that the OEM heaters on these bikes are very good. I'm gonna go with a heated vest perhaps later this year, always wanted one and keeping your core warm is the most important thing overall.

• Thumbsup 1

A good source for all things warming is www.thewarmingstore.com (no affiliation, just a customer) and now is a good time. Good brands - I have a California Heat Heated Liner that's great. The micro wire stuff is so much better than my ancient Gerbing ant Tourmaster stuff. I'd stay away from the rechargeable battery stuff but that's just me. FWIW.

• Thumbsup 1

I don’t mind heated grips per se, but the grips themselves on the tracer are awful. My opinion only. I never liked yamaha grips anyway, and always changed them. A little more difficult this time. 

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Heated gloves are just too bulky for me, and agree that the OEM heaters on these bikes are very good. I'm gonna go with a heated vest perhaps later this year, always wanted one and keeping your core warm is the most important thing overall.

Best way to not need heated gear is to always take it with you.  Last year on my trip to Calgary Canada took my heated jacket and winter gloves.  Never needed them, on the way back in Montana it hit 104F - was wishing for an AC vest!

I've found the heated grips to be adequate, they are adjustable and each of the three levels can be adjusted.  Haven't ridden in sub 30F temps but did ride across Beartooth Pass when it was in the mid to upper 30s and they were fine.

• Thumbsup 1

Last May I rode around Lake Superior and we had cold, snow, rain, hail, fog and some sunshine 😁.  The heated grips were a fantastic addition except I tried the 10 setting and nearly roasted my hands while wearing CorTech leather gloves.  Settings between 2 and 5 worked quite well for most of the trip. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/26/2023 at 6:15 PM, Darren69 said:

So my 2019 already has heated grips but I take my life in my hands when I’m trying to turn them on . Contemplating some new Five GTX Heated gloves and maybe eventually try some aftermarket heated grips with safer activation design if gloves don’t deliver. My gut feeling is they might perform better by heating back of the hands but battery time might be limiting factor? Time will tell.

I have a pair of Five HG-1 Pro heated gloves. Have owned them for over 5 years, and used every winter. They are good for regular commuting on <1 hour trips, but not good for touring. I use them with my scooter for commuting because I can't be bothered fitting heated grips on it.

Pros:

• Get very warm on highest setting - suitable for freezing conditions.
  • Gloves have not failed electrically in 5 years.
  • Waterproofing is the same as their non-electric winter gloves.
  • Batteries can be swapped out easily.
  • Toasty fingertips (nicer than heated grips)

Cons:

• Don't expect them to work for more than 2 hours. More like <1 hour on full blast.
  • Changing the heat settings whilst on the move is next to impossible - involves holding down a button on each glove for >1 second to cycle the settings.
  • Batteries are proprietary design, and need proprietary charger. No USB charging.
  • Replacement batteries are very hard to find in stock - and are very expensive, despite looking crap in quality (generic heatshrink and some cheap sticky labels for regulation compliance)
  • One battery died on me after about 12 months for no reason.
  • Zipper on both gloves burst open after a year or so. Currently sewn back together with fishing line.
  • Recharging the batteries in the evening and reconnecting them in the morning is a total faff. Velcro and fiddly 2.5mm DC connectors galore.

TLDR (in my opinion):

• Heated grips for touring - no question.
  • Heated gloves for commuting, but only if you can get them with a big discount.

I would not buy battery heated gloves again - unless they change the battery system to permit USB charging and connection.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, someguy said:

I would not buy battery heated gloves again - unless they change the battery system to permit USB charging and connection.

Why worry about Batteries you carry around when you've got one between your legs and a decent pair of waterproof gloves that are manageable even behind hand guards and mitts Can be had for under a hundred and fifty bucks and tie in to your heated jacket liner.

That is in addition to the stock heated grips for freezing temperatures now. How do you keep the rest of your body warm