Tracer 900 reserve tank

Hi all , I’ve just recently bought a 2020 Tracer 900 and caught myself out on the reserve tank range .

yes I managed to run out of fuel completely but I thought it would be good information for a forum like this so here’s the info .

so the tank is 18 ltrs and of that I thought the reserve was 2ltrs , in my head I thought it would get near 50miles on reserve ( miscalculated)

the exact figure on the reserve tank odometer was 34 miles when the engine started to shut down .

hope this was useful information guys ?! 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing.  I am sure there are plenty of members here who were curious as to how far one can go on reserve.  Myself included.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

There teally isn't a reseeve tank, the sensor comes on at a low level. Most of us start looking for gas around 180 mi. The guage drops from full to half full around 120 mi. Headwind, load on the bike and of course speed factor in. Watch the low fuel indicator light, and when the pump flashes start looking. I watch the current mpg indicator and run the speed that keeps mpg up. I once had about 1/10th gal left when I found gas. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Good info, I work in gallons though 🙂   On my 2020 I try and use the fuel left in the tank when the low fuel warning comes on as an emergency reserve.  Every time I fill up I reset the fuel used, MPG and a trip odometer.  When under way I'll watch for the fuel to go to half tank and figure Iv'e use a little more than 1/2 tank.  I'll also watch the average MPG at that point and the fuel used - usually 2.2 gallons.  However seems like my bike always takes 0.2 gallons more than it thinks it's used.  Knowing how far to the next gas stop is important.  Have done a lot of trips in the western states where gas stations may be far apart so very important to know how far you can go.  Always try and stop well before the tank gets down to the last bar which theoretically get me maybe 50 more miles.  Mileage on my bike varies significantly based on elevation, speed and gas quality.  If available will always get alcohol free gas.

4.8 gallons of gas total in my 2016 FJ09. Reserve light and count up mile indicator comes on when it hits .8 gallons left. Best mileage I've had with normal riding was 192 miles on 4.3 gallons. 44.65 mpg. Which would translate to 214 miles to completely dry. On my IBA rides I usually bring an extra 60 oz gas in two large MSR fuel bottles. Still haven't got the time to install an auxiliary fuel cell.  Yamaha could have easily placed a 5.5-6.0 gallon tank on the bike. 250 mile range would be perfect for the "western states edition".  :)!

• Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Thanks for reply’s guys , just to note , I’m old school so I referred to my low level fuel as reserve , my bad sorry .

Also I just got the bike and was curious to how far the reserve would go by noting how much I filled up each time . As mentioned I miscalculated thinking I had 4 ltrs and it was 2 ltrs .

I was just a test and thought the results would be useful 👍

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
On 5/30/2023 at 3:43 AM, Krodge1971 said:

Thanks for reply’s guys , just to note , I’m old school so I referred to my low level fuel as reserve , my bad sorry .

Also I just got the bike and was curious to how far the reserve would go by noting how much I filled up each time . As mentioned I miscalculated thinking I had 4 ltrs and it was 2 ltrs .

I was just a test and thought the results would be useful 👍

I always use Trip 1 as my "tank range", I zero it out at each refueling and have learned that my average range is 170-180 miles before needing to seek out a fuel station.

After running a few tanks of fuel through the bike you will figure out your average range before the flashing warning light comes on.

After the flashing light comes on I have ridden up to 25 miles on a few occasions but I was getting pretty nervous, luckily I have never ran out of fuel.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My 2022 9 GT has a different fuel info display than any of the many motorcycles I have owned over 50 years. It also has the typical bar type fuel level guage that seems unsually imprecise, showing a full tank until the tank is actually almost half empty. But it also display fuel consumed to the tenth of a gallon. This display seems to be amazingly precise and accurate. So far after 1200 miles of fill ups the amount of gas I have put in to fill the tank has been within one tenth of a gallon of the fuels consumed display. 

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, lather said:

My 2022 9 GT has a different fuel info display than any of the many motorcycles I have owned over 50 years. It also has the typical bar type fuel level guage that seems unsually imprecise, showing a full tank until the tank is actually almost half empty. But it also display fuel consumed to the tenth of a gallon. This display seems to be amazingly precise and accurate. So far after 1200 miles of fill ups the amount of gas I have put in to fill the tank has been within one tenth of a gallon of the fuels consumed display. 

Same here, display usually shows .1 or .2 gallons more consumed than the pump shows(which is better than the other way around). I would probably trust it to within .3 if cutting it close.

• Thumbsup 1