Best head light bulb?

I thought the stock headlights would be good but they suck at night. The brights just light up the ground right In front of the bike and to the sides. Which is good but it doesn’t extend out. So it’s only the main headlight that does that and it doesn’t go far enough out and it’s hard to see. Any suggestions without getting a whole new expensive headlight?

Best option is just to add auxiliary lights. It can get expensive depending on the brands/models/lumens so if you need something short term, search eBay, Amazon, etc.

Edited by robzilla

No idea what year the OP has and is it an FJ or a Tracer? My lights are great, some of the best I've owned, but no question in adding aux LED lights for more output.

• Thumbsup 3

23 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

No idea what year the OP has and is it an FJ or a Tracer? My lights are great, some of the best I've owned, but no question in adding aux LED lights for more output.

Mine is a brand new tracer 9 gt

31 minutes ago, robzilla said:

Best option is just to add auxiliary lights. It can get expensive depending on the brands/models/lumens so if you need something short term, search eBay, Amazon, etc.

Any recommendations?

The Tracer 9 GT has LED headlights, mine work great. You might first check that they are adjusted properly. No bulb to change. Other option as stated above is auxiliary lights, many choices available.  I'm getting auxiliary lights, not for more brightness, but to make the bike more visible to other drivers. The single low beam light is bright, but is pretty small from front end view.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingfisher said:

The Tracer 9 GT has LED headlights, mine work great. You might first check that they are adjusted properly. No bulb to change. Other option as stated above is auxiliary lights, many choices available.  I'm getting auxiliary lights, not for more brightness, but to make the bike more visible to other drivers. The single low beam light is bright, but is pretty small from front end view.

Hmm ok I’ll ask the dealer to check them. It was so hard riding at night

4 hours ago, Headgas said:

Any recommendations?

As mentioned earlier, auxiliary lights. I recommend Denali products - good value and excellent quality and performance. I have them on both my bikes and they make a huge difference.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

As mentioned earlier, auxiliary lights. I recommend Denali products - good value and excellent quality and performance. I have them on both my bikes and they make a huge difference.

Nice. I was hoping for a cheaper option haha. I guess there isn’t one. 

• Thumbsup 1

Yea Denali is great but kind of pricey. I have 'em on my C14 but figured with the T9GT wanted to try something new so I went with Diode Dynamics SSC1 light pods mounted on my engine/crash bars. Excellent road visibility both at night and in fog. You can see 'em mounted here...

Chinook aux lights overall pic.jpg

• Premium Member

First gen 2015. LED's are fine. Make sure they are aimed correctly. 

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

From your comment it sounds like yours may need to be aimed properly.  If they are aligned correctly, it can make a big difference.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

You don't need a dealer to align/adjust your lights, it's easy to do yourself......look in user manual. ;) Not sure of the aftermarket yet on the new model, so mounting of aux lights/kits may be limited unless mounting to crash bars or forks.

• Thumbsup 1

Currently have a Neutrino Element controlling a pair of cheap Amazon LED spots.  Can be very bight.  The Element is a PWM fuseless relay box that is bluetooth connected to a phone.  I generally set the brightness to 20 or 30 percent so as not to blind folks.  It has an input that could be incorporated such that a signal from hi beams would cause it to change brightness levels.  I vey seldom rode at night particularly out west to due large critters wandering about.  Last September saw several deer in Helena Montana.  They were headed down the shoulder of the road into a subdivision where the grass was greener.  

Hex ezCAN makes a similar controller for BMWs and HDs (WOW what a combination) and they are coming out with one for Yamaha.  I had one on my BMW and loved it.  It picked up codes from the CANbus and could do stuff like change PWM light brightness depending on headlight hi or low beam.  I had a brake light that would do the California flash.  Three blinks then full brightness on brake application.  Also had it set so that when a blinker was on it would turn off the spot on that side so that the blinker was no obscured.  Loved it.  Can also control heated gear with PWM.

On 6/21/2023 at 4:17 PM, robzilla said:

Yea Denali is great but kind of pricey. I have 'em on my C14 but figured with the T9GT wanted to try something new so I went with Diode Dynamics SSC1 light pods mounted on my engine/crash bars. Excellent road visibility both at night and in fog. You can see 'em mounted here...

Chinook aux lights overall pic.jpg

Nice. I have the same color option for my bike. I think it’s the best. Yea I’ll have to get them. I just already spent a lot. I have the acrapovic exhaust coming, Corbin seat, 50l givi top box setup, fender eliminator, rear fender hugger, and radiator guard. And that’s just for right away as soon as I bought the bike haha. I need to wait a bit before spending more. I don’t wanna piss my wife off lol