Clutch adjustment

My clutch (2022 T9GT) does not start to engage until the lever is almost fully extended. 
I am getting used to it but I don't really like it.  I would like for the clutch to start engaging earlier in the lever travel.
I have never adjusted a motorcycle clutch before.   I have never needed to.
How do I  go about adjusting the clutch so that it starts to engage earlier?

thanks

Your clutch should begin to disengage within a few mm of pulling the lever in.  How much free play does your lever have right now? You can adjust the free play to reduce the amount of lever pull before the clutch begins to disengage. You definitely want some free play. IF you have a slipper clutch I have no experience with those. As my 2015 FJ09 doesn't have one

2 hours ago, tgas said:

I have never adjusted a motorcycle clutch before.   I have never needed to.
How do I  go about adjusting the clutch so that it starts to engage earlier?

This isn't your bike - but a decent orientation to clutch adjustment

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

1 hour ago, Brentinpdx said:

Your clutch should begin to disengage within a few mm of pulling the lever in.  How much free play does your lever have right now? You can adjust the free play to reduce the amount of lever pull before the clutch begins to disengage. You definitely want some free play. IF you have a slipper clutch I have no experience with those. As my 2015 FJ09 doesn't have one

I am sorry.  I did a poor job of stating my question.  When you let out the clutch you are "dis-engaging" the clutch, and when you pull in the clutch you are "engaging" the clutch.  Or at least that is the way I understand it.

What I should have said is when I am letting out the clutch it does not start to dis-engage until the lever is almost all the way out.  Probably 80% out.  I would like to maybe change that to 50% travel.  My last bike was a Triumph Speed Triple.  The clutch was much more predictable to me because it would start to dis-engage early on in the lever travel and I had gotten used to that.

I would prefer to adjust this somewhat.

55 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

This isn't your bike - but a decent orientation to clutch adjustment

Thanks. I will take a look at this video.

1 hour ago, tgas said:

I am sorry.  I did a poor job of stating my question.  When you let out the clutch you are "dis-engaging" the clutch, and when you pull in the clutch you are "engaging" the clutch.  Or at least that is the way I understand it.

What I should have said is when I am letting out the clutch it does not start to dis-engage until the lever is almost all the way out.  Probably 80% out.  I would like to maybe change that to 50% travel.  My last bike was a Triumph Speed Triple.  The clutch was much more predictable to me because it would start to dis-engage early on in the lever travel and I had gotten used to that.

Short answer?
You can’t. You’ll need to get used to this engagement area. Yamaha slipper clutches engage and are designed differently than Triumph clutch. 

FYI/BTW clutch free play for the newest Gen is different than OG15-19 models. Yamaha has changed the spec to 5mm on both the 9GT and MT09/SP models. That’s measured at the lever end. 

-Skip

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, tgas said:

Actually, (and just for clarity) you were correct in your original statement.  The clutch disengages as you pull the lever in. i.e. no power delivery to the rear wheel.

I know what you mean though and I too wished (long ago) that the clutch engagement was closer to the handlebars but as the Skipper says - that's not how this one works but you just get used to it.

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Actually, (and just for clarity) you were correct in your original statement.  The clutch disengages as you pull the lever in. i.e. no power delivery to the rear wheel.

I know what you mean though and I too wished (long ago) that the clutch engagement was closer to the handlebars but as the Skipper says - that's not how this one works but you just get used to it.

Well at least now I know.  I will get used to it.  Thanks for the answers.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I replaced the clutch In my fastest red 15 in about 17 so I have several years on it.

The only thing I can say is that I have great range of control of The lever and the clutch starting from 5 mm out All the way back to the grip.

I have found that I need to keep minimal amount of free play. Less than 2.5  mm and have no trouble with the clutch disengaging when I turn the bars lock to lock

I tried a lower actuating arm from a Bolt With no appreciable improvement and I had to bend the bracket that holds the cable adjustment fitting to get proper alignment of the cable itself with the centerline of the adjustment fitting

I know this may not help for the new T9MT9 clutch but Maybe if you if you reduce free play you'll get more of what you're looking for after making sure it's adjusted properly down at the clutch

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

I replaced the arm on the clutch cover with the longer R3 lever which was an improvement in feel.

Part number 15

IMG_2243.png

IMG_2244.jpeg

Interesting

I have the same complaint as tgas with my 22 9GT. The clutch engagement from feels very awkward compared to my 4 other bikes, including my 2017 R3. I am going to try  playing with free play.

2 hours ago, lather said:

I have the same complaint as tgas with my 22 9GT. The clutch engagement from feels very awkward compared to my 4 other bikes, including my 2017 R3. I am going to try  playing with free play.

I don't see how free play could help with this issue but let me know if you are able to achieve anything.  I will get used to it but I have never had a clutch that engaged as late as this one.