Weak rear brakes?

7 hours ago, duckie said:

The Tracer engine has plenty of engine braking…..if you are in the right gear……meaning being up high in the rpm range. 

I seldom use the rear brake. No need to really. Ill use it in gravel, dirt, wet and for controlling speed for slow speed maneuvering such as in parking lots. 

For slow speed maneuvering, I set the throttle to a steady low rpm and then just use the rear brake to control slow speed instead of trying to do so with the throttle…….makes doing lock to lock figure eights a breeze. 

If ya put in HH and dont use them properly……you’ll get brake squeal.

But then again…….I can two finger brake with no problem with the stock front brakes…..and never have I needed more……for the street…….even at some of the speeds I carrying in the hills.

Engine braking is your friend…..

Sure any engine will brake with enough rpm.  In fact an engine brakes really well after you throw a rod!  Its just what degree of engine braking to RPM you want to do.

I would rather wear out brakes than an engine.  But that is my view/opinion yours may be different and that is ok for this topic.  I just dont want to buy a used vehicle from you. 

1 hour ago, duckie said:

What you afraid to spin up a engine? 

I see redline 1/2 of my shifts and keep the revs above 6k pretty much always.
What we are trying to relate to you is that engine breaking is NOT the end all answer. While it may be enough for SOME people, others need additional assistance via the brake of their choice. It's also about riding style, the bike, the tune, the exhaust, the line.

My bike, especially after the tune and exhaust, engine braking is pretty much null in the higher revs.

• Premium Member

The whole premise was a problem with his rear brakes it's apparent it's a used bike so it's maintenance and repair history is totally unknown

Consequently, the entire bike should be checked out And normal maintenance  and repairs performed including on the brakes

Personally I like a low friction rear brake

HH plus IMO can be dangerous in the wet and other low traction conditions

Then of course the thread dissolved into discussion regarding technique

I don't want to get involved other than to say from my racing experience and life as a motorcycle courier in San Francisco That the rear brake will bite you more often than not

In regard to whether the CP3 engine have engine braking or not I do know that they're designed for revs and that if used on the street typically with a slipper clutch, longevity shouldn't be a concern

• Thumbsup 1

I went for the popcorn when this thread as many others turned into a pissing competition. 
I originally was going to ask if the OP came from a cruiser, it would explain his feeling that the rear brake is weak. 
But then I read he had midsized sports bikes beforehand, so if he thinks it’s weak the chances are there’s something wrong as the stock rear is pretty good I think. 
Relying on engine braking is a bad habit, much better to actually learn to ride properly. 
Getting more popcorn now. 

Riders on this forum have years of experience on all makes of bikes and millions of miles on/off road. The posit that engine braking will destroy an engine is yours. I bet a huge majority of riders engine brake every ride. A guy on a bmw forum years ago subscribed to your posit, calling everyone who used EB stupid. Insulting! Like anything else we do to scrub off speed in twisties it's part of our tool box and makes us safer IMO. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Like anything else we do to scrub off speed in twisties it's part of our tool box and makes us safer IMO. 

And just like someone who says using a brake to scrub off speed is a bad idea, also dumb. There's a lot of dumb here, but I still like  ya'll. ❤️

Hey guys original OP here.  It has been interesting here.  There has been some helpful info here and also some post to laugh about.  
   I will tell you that I am not the type that goes for the keep the rpms high.  I like too go on comfortable rides and enjoy the scenery, as there is a lot in the foothills of the Smokies.  One thing I have noticed that around here they do not mark the corners and you it is not very often that you see the end of the corner.  In fact what they do is put up a few 30MPH speed limit signs instead of a couple dozen “speed warning signs”, as there is no lack of curves and turns on the back roads just lack of straight roads. The opposite of from I moved From. That is why I chose the FJ. Last two bikes where a cruiser and a Goldwing that was not my style but was good for my wife.  Anyway thanks for the replies. I think that the previous owner maybe put on cheap brakes. Thanks

I traded my BMW F800GT for my Tracer almost 3 years ago in Sioux Falls SD - 2,000 miles from home.  Interesting story but fun moment.  Took everything off the BMW and loaded it onto the Tracer and rode away.  Was a really fun time.  I found the front brakes to be very weak but the rear to be very strong.  Not sure why but the fronts did get better.  Eventually (like 15,000 miles later) scrubbed the front rotors and put ~HH pads on the front but left the rears alone.  

Try scrubbing the rotor with isopropyl alcohol and ScotchBrite pads.  You may have something contaminating the pads/rotors.  If I went to the trouble to scrub the rotor would just put a new pair of pads on it.  

I found the engine braking to be not too bad on the Tracer, not like my ZX6R or 600RR when slowing from high revs but good enough.  Sometimes I just loafed along and sometime I got on it pretty good.  On long trips when it was a ways to the next gas station it was light throttle and low revs to wring the best gas mileage out of it.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 7/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, Robber said:

Sure any engine will brake with enough rpm.  In fact an engine brakes really well after you throw a rod!  Its just what degree of engine braking to RPM you want to do.

I would rather wear out brakes than an engine.  But that is my view/opinion yours may be different and that is ok for this topic.  I just dont want to buy a used vehicle from you. 

According to the experts engine braking is not harmful...