MRA Touring Windscreen on Tracer - Insufficient Clearance

Hi everyone, 

Recently added the MRA Vario Touring Screen to my '20 Tracer 900GT but it seems like the handlebar is just touching the screen when I turn the handlebar fully left or right.  It's a little hard to tell because i dont want to force the bar any further than where it appears to stop. In any event, the handlebar at full lock position is extemely close or touching the screen.  Has anyine come across this same issue?

• Supporting Member

Is this something that you could use a washer or two as spacers or can a millimeter be trimmed off the screen with a Dremel tool?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I guess i could trim it or sand it down a bit but I'm not sure why it's emcumbent on me to fix their product.  Also not sure if the edging material will cover the scuffs.

Edited by Jayzonk

I just had to rotate my bar ever so slightly back as was "barely" making contact with my hand guards at full lock, no more clearance issue.......of course I have the sport screen.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Hi everyone, 

Recently added the MRA Vario Touring Screen to my '20 Tracer 900GT but it seems like the handlebar is just touching the screen when I turn the handlebar fully left or right.  It's a little hard to tell because i dont want to force the bar any further than where it appears to stop. In any event, the handlebar at full lock position is extemely close or touching the screen.  Has anyine come across this same issue?

It is either hitting or not…….seems like, aint the same as it is ……

If you cant tell if it is hitting, thats a issue. 

Trying to go past the steering stop is a issue since you cant.

Not everything is a product issue……sometimes the owner is the issue.

I'm thinking about trying the Yamaha tall screen for the bike for longer rides as I'm sure the fitment will he spot on.  I'm growing ever more leary of "aftermarket" motorcycle parts as MOST of the ones I've bought over the years turn out to be of inferior quality to the OEM.

Edited by Jayzonk

55 minutes ago, duckie said:

I'm not going to push it so hard that i crack the screen at this stage.  And the edging is so tight that i dont want to remove it and reinstall it until I know more about the problem.  If it's a common issue among Tracer owners, it's worth it for me to ask them.  Some people have nothing valuable to add to this conversation and only bring forth their negativity.  Good for them for wasting my time and their own but I'm sure they handle all of their affairs similarly.  They may benefit by taking a course on how to problem solve to improve their overall level of daily competence.  One of those techniques is finding out if others have had the same problem as the current problem-holder.  I thought this was common knowlege but i guess common knowledge isn't so common.  

Edited by Jayzonk
  • Thumbsup 1

36 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

I'm thinking about trying the Yamaha tall screen for the bike for longer rides as I'm sure the fitment will he spot on.  I'm growing ever more leary of "aftermarket" motorcycle parts as MOST of the ones I've bought over the years turn out to be of inferior quality to the OEM.

Over the years and owning many bikes, I will say that aftermarket is usually superior to OEM. ;)  All you need to do is slightly loosen the 4 pinch bolts at the bar, rotate the bar back and bit and then torque/tighten them back up.......easy peezy.

1 hour ago, duckie said:

You really come across as a jerk in the majority of your posts, I have to wonder how you would speak face to face?

I hope you didn't take my reply as being wise-ass ... I was serious about selling my shorty screen.

Oh, and the manual calls for 22 N-m, or 16 ft-lb as torque spec on the handlebar bolts.  😉

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

3 hours ago, Heavy said:

I hope you didn't take my reply as being wise-ass ... I was serious about selling my shorty screen.

Oh, and the manual calls for 22 N-m, or 16 ft-lb as torque spec on the handlebar bolts.  😉

That's not too high of a torque spec but the bolts have likely stretched enough that i would replace them anyway.

4 hours ago, Heavy said:

Re: the screen.  You're not using it anymore? And you cut it down from the normal height?

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Over the years and owning many bikes, I will say that aftermarket is usually superior to OEM. ;)  All you need to do is slightly loosen the 4 pinch bolts at the bar, rotate the bar back and bit and then torque/tighten them back up.......easy peezy.

Yes, I think that was a bit too broad of a claim made by me in a moment of frustration.  I did buy a lot of parts for an R3 and had some issues but yes, there's obviously lots of good aftermarket stuff out there.  Sometimes there are better parts but there are fitment issues that get in the way of making that product a real success.  Had some issues with rearsets, front fenders, and other things with the R3.   I also find that the included hardware seems (don't know for sure) a bit on the crappy side.

Edited by Jayzonk