Sargent seat pan issue

• Supporting Member

Hey everyone, I know I’ve seen something about this previously, but can’t seem to find it with a quick search… 

The rider support pads on the bottom of the seat pan for my Sargent seat have collapsed up into the pan base.  I’m not a little guy (225 pounds), but I’m still a bit disappointed/surprised by this.   I’ve had the seat for several years, and bought it lightly used, so I understandably don’t expect any warranty action by Sargent.   

So, any suggestions on repair?   I’m pretty sure I can pull the rubber bumpers back out with a pair of pliers, but I’m not sure how to approach repairing/strengthening/stabilizing those perches for ongoing use.   

IMG_7672.thumb.jpeg.96a541ac51a74797879b75c621b6af0e.jpeg

IMG_7673.thumb.jpeg.2bda11900e1c2e0f14293e42302b9aff.jpeg

Thanks in advance!
-Scott 

• Premium Member

Mine did that. They replaced the seat. The second one started to do the same thing. I cut down some jeep grill poly bushings. They're bigger around and been on the seat for about 3 years with no more issues. I had a set of factory ones left over from a body lift i did. 

https://www.quadratec.com/p/daystar/1-radiator-support-mounts-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj

• Thanks 1

Let’s go Brandon

Mine did that on my fz1. They replaced the seat as well but I had to pay for postage both ways and being from Canada cost me a tidy sum just the same. Another 6-7,000 later on the new seat and it happened again. I sold the bike so didn't care but I will not buy their products again. Poor quality Period!

• Thumbsup 1

I would try to make a wooden plug that fits in the hole. The top of the plug would be level with to hole.

Then drill out the center of the rubber bumper, maybe 1/2 way through so I could use a wood screw to secure to the wooden plug. The reason for drilling is to put the screw head below the top of the rubber bumper. 

Edited by duckie
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have the stock seat back on for now, and suddenly the riding position feels correct again.   I had noticed that the rear of the bike felt low compared to what I remembered, but assumed it was just my imagination since I’ve been swapping back & forth between three bikes almost daily.   Now I understand what was going on… 🙄

I generally like the seat (certainly an improvement from stock), but I’m a bit undecided on what to do here.  Thanks for the suggestions and experiences… seems to be a known problem for at last some owners.   

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Thanks @Windster!   That’s the post I was looking for…  I see that I even responded to it when you posted last year.   Is that support brace bolt method still holding up for you?  

Yeas, it is still like I did it . This year had about 5k km. trip and another 2k km. in short trips . No issues with this mod.

• Like 1

Not sure what is going on over at Sargent.  Had seats for my VFR and my Ninja 1000.  Both were excellent.  The seat for my Ninja 1000 has been used on two bikes (totaled my first one) and has over 53,000 miles on it.  Still looks and feels great.

Ordered a Sargent for my 2019 Tracer GT and it fit very poorly to the bike.  After some discussion with Sargent I discovered that they had tried to modify the seat pan of the FJ-09 to fit the Tracer rather than creating a new pan.  It did not work.  They said they had already spent time and money to develop this and likely would not start over but rather try to modify their current design if they could get a donor bike.  

Had Terry Adcox build a seat for me on the stock pan for less money than the Sargent and it turned out to be the best motorcycle seat I have ever had.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.