Ohlins tragedy

Warchild

Tragic, as in - I just learned my go-to Ohlins suspension guy  has relocated to the east cost.

My Tracer 900 GT is waaaay overdue for servicing for both the front NIC 30 cartridges, and the rear Ohlins YA537 shock.

Who here can recommend a suspension shop who does exceptional rebuild work? Looking for something in the Pacific Northwest - I know I could always send them off to Ted Porter's, but, dayumn, a 1800-mile round trip shipping would be terrible.

Pic for attention:

Ohlins.thumb.jpg.1a490624f02b3d26cbd64c7e095a53b4.jpg

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

Just curious........how many miles on your suspension.  They can usually go a long way before needing a refresh.

These are sitting close to 19,000 miles, and because they are Ohlins, it's really noticeable when the hardware is spent and needs refreshing.  

As I mentioned, I could always send them to Ted Porter's in central California, he has bailed me out in the past with a Wilbers shock problem.  I emailed them about it, and the service costs are not terribly horrible, ~ $340 for the shock and ~$180 for the forks, plus consumables. I will likely pull the hardware and send them on down after I finish up installing the Spiegler SS brake lines.

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, Warchild said:

Tragic, as in - I just learned my go-to Ohlins suspension guy  has relocated to the east cost.

I am in the exact same situation in Western Washington, the shop that I have used for many years has gone out of business and this year my suspension is due for servicing. - I usually get mine serviced every 20,000 miles. 

@oregonian  -my local Yamaha shop also recommended EDR Performance, I will give them a call.  I hate the thought of mailing my suspension but the place I used in the past was only about 30 minutes away, EDR performance is a 3 hour drive each away depending on Portland traffic.

Another option is Norwest Suspension in Idaho.  https://www.norwestsuspension.com/

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Sounds like a gap n the market...and an opportunity for someone!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

Another option is Norwest Suspension in Idaho.  https://www.norwestsuspension.com/

A while back I was going to send my forks up to Terry, but I received an email or text stating he was no longer in the business. Maybe somebody took over the shop.

Website is still up though. He did good work. Sent my Nitron shock up to him for servicing.

Dan

• Thumbsup 1

54 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Another option is Norwest Suspension in Idaho.  https://www.norwestsuspension.com/

A while back I was going to send my forks up to Terry, but I received an email or text stating he was no longer in the business. Maybe somebody took over the shop.

Website is still up though. He did good work. Sent my Nitron shock up to him for servicing.

Dan

Terry did/does great work but I just messaged the other day to see if he’d want to do my Sprint and got no response. They may be done and over, hope not. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Dan

1 hour ago, miweber929 said:

Terry did/does great work but I just messaged the other day to see if he’d want to do my Sprint and got no response. They may be done and over, hope not. 

With Norwest Suspension no longer available the choices are getting slimmer, I guess my nearest option is EDR Performance.

I was thinking to recommend KFG Motorsports but like so many other shops, I think they might be out of business. They were in Auburn then moved to Lakewood. I had my C14 suspension done by them '20 and it was night and day. 

Think I need to do some searching for a local PNW shop or maybe resort to some place down in CA or east coast.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, robzilla said:

I was thinking to recommend KFG Motorsports but like so many other shops, I think they might be out of business. They were in Auburn then moved to Lakewood. I had my C14 suspension done by them '20 and it was night and day.

Yes, KFG Motorsports was my go-to suspension shop for many years, they did phenomenal work.  Sadly, it looks like I will need to go out of state now.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

This is an old topic but was linked in another thread so I thought I’d add to it:

I just sent my OEM suspension from my Triumph Sprint GT to Ed Sorbo @ Lindemann Engineering in Temecula, CA to be redone. He might also be an option, knew his stuff (I think, lol!!) and was a great communicator.