9 gt 2nd gear bog

I’m new to this forum, so might be posting old topics. But in my own words 😄

Am at about 500 miles on the clock with new 2022 Tracer 9 gt. 

Started in mode 4 in first 200 miles or so, then 3 and 2, now 1. 
There’s a ridiculous bog in 2nd gear.  If I open (or tell the computer to open) the throttle in 2nd gear, nothing happens. It’s like I’m riding my old 440LTD. See Star Wars scene “Watch this! …Watch what?”

Then shift to third and all the power is back. I’m perceiving like 2-3 times the power. Boom! Gone. 
But I want that in 2nd gear too.

When I twisted the throttle on my Honda V65 Sabre back in the 80’s, that command instantly translated to go-juice to the rear wheel. That throttle was the make-it-happenator. 
I want that back. 
Any ideas? I see this issue mentioned online elsewhere but no remedies. 

Power Mode 1. Traction and lift control 2, although the 2nd gear pull is nowhere near enough to get the front end light, much less leave the pavement, so that’s not it. 

Edited by T9 Jeffrey

Did you get any of the factory recalls done yet, specifically the ECU? Many have reported once the ECU recall flash was done it took care of the issues you're seeing.

31 minutes ago, robzilla said:

Did you get any of the factory recalls done yet, specifically the ECU? Many have reported once the ECU recall flash was done it took care of the issues you're seeing.

Just bought it Dec 9. Assumed any existing recalls would have been applied by the dealer by then, per Yamaha rules. 
It’s a good suggestion thank you. 😊

Although has this exact issue been remedied by recall action?

I should contact the dealer I think. 

1 hour ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Although has this exact issue been remedied by recall action?

Can't say for certain, but here's the thread on the recalls. Best to contact the dealer as there's no guarantees if they performed it before selling it to you.

I didn't do any of the recalls as I had my ECU flashed, so I don't experience any of the symptoms people reported.

My 21 GT has had the 2d gear bog since new.  All recalls done, including the latest one that addressed the O2 sensor corrosion issue and also mitigated the decel problem.

I've been thinking it has to do with lift control.  It doesn't bother me all that much.  I just don't lather on a ton of throttle in 2d gear until I've got past that bog point.  By controlling my wrist there, I find that the bog rarely makes itself known.

• Supporting Member

I am assuming that everyone experiencing the bog is using the standard Yamaha fuel map?  Is this happening to anyone who has had the ECU flashed with a richer fuel map?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

It's a shame that OEM's have to dull power delivery somewhere in the fueling map because of emission regulations.  Hopefully someone will have a good reflash for the latest generation Yamaha Tracer which will eliminate the flat spot.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

It's a shame that OEM's have to dull power delivery somewhere in the fueling map because of emission regulations.  Hopefully someone will have a good reflash for the latest generation Yamaha Tracer which will eliminate the flat spot.

Fairly certain any reputable tuner is going to remove all throttle restrictions.

Vcyclenut mentions specifically removing the restrictions on gears 1-3 and leaving gear 4 stock:
image.thumb.png.56f6589c46ea0e681c61307a9f8f34cb.png

There are also images of the throttle tables if you're interested in looking at those.

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:19 PM, jthayer09 said:

Fairly certain any reputable tuner is going to remove all throttle restrictions.

Vcyclenut mentions specifically removing the restrictions on gears 1-3 and leaving gear 4 stock:
image.thumb.png.56f6589c46ea0e681c61307a9f8f34cb.png

There are also images of the throttle tables if you're interested in looking at those.

Yes, I know.  Have owned a few bikes that I have had the ECU reflashed.  Just not aware if there is one for the 2022.  Still riding my 2019 with Ivan's excellent reflash.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.