getting back in the saddle after any years and need help making a decision !

Mine was not bad.  Prior to the Tracer I had a BMW F800GT with the Rotax parallel twin.  It vibrated much more.  The Yamaha triple is not the higher frequency of an inline 4 or the lower frequency of the parallel twin.  Grip puppies are an option - they really tamed it on the BMW but never put them on the Tracer - only did 28,000 miles on that bike in 2.5 years and many days over 400 miles.

• Premium Member
On 3/27/2024 at 3:27 PM, kyle J said:

Kyle,

I have a similar pathway as you. I rode all the time when I was in in college, (Yamaha Exciter I). But upon graduation, I moved to Los Angeles. I had to move across country and thought the furniture would be more useful than my motorcycle. (Wow, what was I thinking.....)

Moved to Los Angeles, Got Married, successful career, and didn't really think about motorcycle riding much at all. The LA freeways and crazy stupid drivers in LA kept me from thinking about riding. 

Wife wanted to move back closer to her roots in Washington State, so there I went. Once I got there, I quickly bought a Yamaha FJ-09. I rode that for a few years, until I slid on a patch of ice on the way to work at 5:00am. Insurance totaled the bike. I was fine, and still wanted to ride, so I bought the new Tracer 900 GT.

All that to let you know I have experience with both the FJ-09 AND the Tracer motorcycles.  

My advice, (worth every penny you are paying for it) is to get the newer Tracer. It comes with some very nice upgrades which make the bike very comfortable for short and even longer rides. It comes with traction control, better brakes, better suspension (better, not great though)

I have ridden my Tracer cross country from Fresno CA to Jacksonville FL, up to North Carolina and back across to the west coast along the middle of the country. Took me about a month, and I got to see a lot of friends I hadn't seen in a very long time.

You won't be sorry about getting the Tracer GT. 

On 3/27/2024 at 3:27 PM, kyle J said:

Hello all !   I've decided to get a Bike after a long hiatus ( 30 years ) and need some help. .........

I'm leaning towards the 2020 tracer 900 gt , there is one for sale near me only 1500 km on it .

I would definitely b e replacing the wind screen , any suggestions?

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, kyle J said:

One of my concerns is I've seen alot of comments regarding vibration in the bars and footpegs ,

how bad is it and what ways have you guys been able to reduce them ? should I even worry about it ?

Well that is a subjective thing to define. It is a triple, which does lend it to be a bit rumbly, but I frequently ride long distances (ie cross country) and I have never found it to be uncomfortable or difficult to ride long distances. 

A test drive should be able to help you assess the vibration level. But remember, it's not a Harley, it is a modern motorcycle built in Japan (and France I think)

2 hours ago, kyle J said:

2020 tracer 900 gt...

Just put a lip on the stock wind screen and see if that is enough. It will pull the air "up and over" more than it's height would indicate. You can get a good quality one from MRA, Givi, Puig, or a cheap $30 knock-off like I did and be prepared to alter the brackets etc. to make it work

In addition to pulling the air higher, a lip will greatly reduce turbulent air.

I am only 5' 8" and look over this. Not through it. Clean air to top of helmet.

Lip.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

yes to the lip, I put an MRA touring windscreen on and then added an inexpensive lip from Amazon.  MRA made one with the lip but was not sure so did it is two steps.  I set the lip and forgot about it, worked great and not issues with coming loose or anything.

4 hours ago, kyle J said:

I'm leaning towards the 2020 tracer 900 gt , there is one for sale near me only 1500 km on it .

Get the shorter than factory , racing screen . No wind to your neck area & clean air at the helmet . Also the bike tracks straight down the road in the wind . If you want to set back & smoke going down the road get a HD .

• Haha 2

My sport bikes had the short windscreens and the airflow was smoother.  With the Tracer I did mostly long trips and the windscreen was nice.  Some airflow to helmet but not buffeting.  400 mile days in the rain were better too.  Have ridden a lot in the rain and don't see many bikes but every one that is out there is friendly.  Met some very nice HD riders in Gillette WY on a very rainy day.  We had all stopped for gas and a coke.  Afterwards we put on our rain suits and rode on.  

The stock screen on mine buffeted helmet and shoulders a lot.  Bought the bike in Sioux Falls SD, rod 600 miles in that area and then 1,100 miles home.  By that point I really did not like the stock screen.

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, kyle J said:

Cheapest solutions first: $20-$30 windscreen extension/spoiler should be your first stop before buying an entirely new windscreen. It eliminated buffeting from the stock screen for me, this will vary from person to person due to height and riding posture.

As far as vibrations go, you can just replace the stock footpegs with the rubber topped pegs from the FJR1300. They're like $10-20 on Amazon or eBay, or the Yamaha adventure pegs if you want to stay OEM. Handlebar vibrations didn't bother me on the 2015 but I did ride with MT09 bar end weights in the summer and handguards taken off which may have helped.

Between the 2015 and 2020 models you're looking at I think it's worth the $2000 for the 2020. The 2015 without a tune is not smooth since it was developed in the early days of ride by wire. It also doesn't have factory cruise control hookups or a slipper clutch. It was basically an MT09 on stilts with a reinforced subframe. The 2nd gen Tracers (2018-20) gave the lineup a lot more value than the 1st gen: a longer wheelbase for passenger and luggage, slipper clutch (2017 MY onwards). Also, factory cruise control, heated grips, and luggage with the GT model. If you buy the 2020 model, you'll get the slipper clutch as well as be able to stay OEM for cruise control if you want to add that in the future.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

I have a 2019 GT, and have been super happy with it. As others have noted, the windscreen needs attention, as the stocker produces nasty noise and buffeting. I used a cheap lip to start with, which worked well until the mount broke. I got an MRA touring screen with lip after that and have been very happy with it. Looks better than stock too. The seat is also definitely in need of upgrading; I went with Corbin and have been very happy with it. Huge difference for my butt. That's all I've done to the bike, and all I have felt it needs, and I am a compulsive bike and car modifier. There was virtually no part of my last bike that wasn't upgraded, but this one works so well out of the box that, for me, there were only a couple of areas that needed any attention.

As for vibration, I can't say I've ever thought about it, so I guess it hasn't been much of an issue. I've done some long days on the bike, and never had a problem with vibration at all. As for the "extras" that the GT has, I felt the same way as you before I bought the bike: Cruise control? Puffery!  Heated grips? Pffft!  Well, now I would be lost without them. The cruise is wonderful on longer, boring rides (I live in Saskatchewan, so those are necessary to get anywhere fun), and the heated grips combined with the hand guards on the bike make spring, fall, and mountain morning rides a whole different experience. I have hauled my bikes out to the Okanagan in the spring and fall a few times, and I can testify that morning rides up into the passes in April are a completely different experience with and without those heated grips. On my old bike I'd get off and my hands would be contracted into claws and would take a while to warm up and loosen. Now, they stay toasty and never cramp. Luxury.

Other aspects of the bike are all great; incredibly flexible and powerful engine, which always seems to give me the power I want right when I want it, without being scary. Light, accurate handling, decent baggage capacity (I have had no difficulty going for 5-6 days with the stock saddlebags and a bag strapped on the rear seat).  I've had a bunch of bikes over 50 years of riding, and for me the Tracer GT has been the most satisfying mount that I've had. It straddles the line between sportiness and touring very well. Good luck with your search!

• Thumbsup 1

Good to hear ! The 2020 gt I was looking at was sold, there are a few others but not as low mileage as the 2020 I saw.  There are some 22's for sale new or almost new but alot more money 15- 16 k quite a bit more than the 15 fj09 I initially looked at lol. I've decided (subject to change) at least a 19 or 20 gt . Hopefully I can find a good one for around 12-13 k with low km's .

Yup I've heard that alot ,there is a 19 900 gt with 58000km on it for under 9000$ . Would be great but you never know when buying used.