getting back in the saddle after any years and need help making a decision !

You are overthinking all of this IMHO......buy the bike that you want and be done with it. :) Getting an FJ or regular Tracer is a downgrade compared to the 19-current GT lines, but yes there are many happy owners here of the OG models as well. 

• Thumbsup 3

19 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

You are overthinking all of this IMHO......buy the bike that you want and be done with it. :) Getting an FJ or regular Tracer is a downgrade compared to the 19-current GT lines, but yes there are many happy owners here of the OG models as well. 

Ya I know I'm diving myself nuts ! I think Iv'e decided on the 21 9gt going to look at it again today maybe I can negotiate a few bucks off  what there asking . I very much appreciate all the information I've gotten from this forum !!

• Thumbsup 1

29 minutes ago, kyle J said:

Ya I know I'm diving myself nuts ! I think Iv'e decided on the 21 9gt going to look at it again today maybe I can negotiate a few bucks off  what there asking . I very much appreciate all the information I've gotten from this forum !!

If you can swing a GT in either generation, that’s the one to get. Rode a 21+, bought a ‘20, I didn’t feel there was enough difference to be worth a lot of extra money. 

• Supporting Member

Have you tried looking at new left over 2022 models? 

Yamaha had a supply issue and had a hard time delivering bikes until late in the year when all of a sudden they were offloading a LOT of Tracer9 GT's to dealers who couldn't get rid of them.  There were a few reports on here of guys (my buddy was one of them) getting new 2022 models for $12,000usd out the door.  They were so late to the game and dealers had such an overstock that they didn't even bother releasing a 2023 model in North America.  Your dealer can check stock with other dealers and see if there are any bikes still in the crate sitting in storage, they might even be able to arrange shipping.

Yamaha did something similar with the 2019 Tracer, buyers wanted the GT so the base model didn't sell well, finally Yamaha marked them down to $8,700 to clearance them out and never offered a base model in NA again.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

...there are many happy owners here of the OG models as well.

This is true... I have my 2015 now where I want it, but in fairness... it took some effort/money.

@kyle J... the first gen bikes might become a bit of a handful with upgrades/fixes. I'd aim for something more recent if you want to start riding and not have to fuss with much. Some upgrades (ergonomics, comfort... ) will be inevitable. 😐

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I took another look at the 21 9gt yesterday and will be putting down a deposit tomorrow .                      as far as must do mods's I plan on getting frame sliders , rad protector . I'll wait on screen and seat mod's until I get a few miles under my belt to see how I feel . looking for suggestions for "must do mods" I've seen people recommend screen protectors for the dash, is it necessary ? Anyways very much looking forword to my journey with the bike on and off the road. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

If you're interested I have a set of SW-Motech frame sliders that I'm not using since replacing those with crash bars.  I'll be in Toronto the second week of June.

1 hour ago, OldBikers said:

If you're interested I have a set of SW-Motech frame sliders that I'm not using since replacing those with crash bars.  I'll be in Toronto the second week of June.

1 hour ago, OldBikers said:

Will let you know as might use crash bars too not sure ,thanks!

I picked up my 21 9gt today yippee!! I told myself I wouldn't pick it up if it was raining so what do I do ? pick it up when it was snowing go figure . Anyway after a very comfortable ride home (NOT) I pulled into my garage very cold and a little damp . First impression love the quick shifter! never used one before, the heated grips were nice as needed on the ride home which is something I thought I would never use but there's that old saying neve say never ! I did notice the slight tilt in the seat pushing me forword into the tank though it didn't bother me too much but maybe because I was so focused on getting home with no incident but overall felt petty comfortable considering . A good combo , new bike to get used too, not riding for many years and crappy weather to boot ! hopefully tomorrow's weather will be better so I can get a better feel for the bike .

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/20/2024 at 3:33 PM, kyle J said:

I did notice the slight tilt in the seat pushing me forword into the tank though it didn't bother me too much but maybe because I was so focused on getting home with no incident but overall felt petty comfortable considering . 

There is a mod for that... Pics or it didn't happen 😉