getting back in the saddle after any years and need help making a decision !

I went to look at the 21 , nice bike ! but as I as chatting with the salesman about my decision process he showed me a 2019 that literally just came in only 500 km on it as is a repo. I think I just made up my mind as its basically brand new  and will leave me extra cash for gear as I need a new helmet etc.

It,s over 3k less than the 9gt the only thing the 9gt has that I really want is the cruise control . If money was no object im sure the gt would be in the garage ! 

• Thumbsup 2

31 minutes ago, kyle J said:

...the only thing the 9gt has that I really want is the cruise control.

Yeah but the factory cruise control only starts to work at 4th gear.

Do a search for McCruise on this forum. Their add-on cruise control works in lower gears which is helpful.

https://www.mccruise.com/en-us/products/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-fj-09-new-throttle-by-wire-mccruise

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Ya I've seen that on line, I'ts not a deal breaker thats for sure . For my relatively short day trips Im sure I won't miss it especially since I never had it before. 

51 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Yeah but the factory cruise control only starts to work at 4th gear.

Do a search for McCruise on this forum. Their add-on cruise control works in lower gears which is helpful.

https://www.mccruise.com/en-us/products/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-fj-09-new-throttle-by-wire-mccruise

Cruise control is for 55 and higher IMHO, and cruise control only working in 4th-6th most certainly isn't a deal breaker for the masses. Why would anyone want to modify/add to the factory ride by wire CC system?

1 hour ago, kyle J said:

I went to look at the 21 , nice bike ! but as I as chatting with the salesman about my decision process he showed me a 2019 that literally just came in only 500 km on it as is a repo. I think I just made up my mind as its basically brand new  and will leave me extra cash for gear as I need a new helmet etc.

It,s over 3k less than the 9gt the only thing the 9gt has that I really want is the cruise control . If money was no object im sure the gt would be in the garage ! 

The 19/20 has cruise control. ;) 

Edited by Ride365

4 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Cruise control is for 55 and higher IMHO, and cruise control only working in 4th-6th most certainly isn't a deal breaker for the masses. Why would anyone want to modify/add to the factory ride by wire CC system?

Only the GT has cruise control. Not talking about modify factory cruise control on a GT.

the OP just bought a tracer with no factory cruise control.

• Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

He just said a 19, so I assumed it was the 19GT and not the regular tracer. Yeah I wouldn't be making that deal were it me, the regular Tracer is missing alot more from the GT than just ride by wire CC. But big congrats to the OP and welcome back to the riding game, that's still a fabulous scoot just for the engine alone. :)

• Thumbsup 1

Ya I know there's alot more than cruise control on the 21 9 gt vs the 19 tracer but the 9gt is alot more than I wana spend and if I decide I want to upgrade after a year or so im sure I can get most of my money butvI have a feeling I will be very happy with the 900.

Hi, all.

@kyle J, I picked up a 2019 Tracer 900 after a couple of seasons on a FZ07 and have been pleased. I was fortunate enough to find a super low km, like new grey and red model and decided to go for it. We ride locally for the most part but fit in a longer trip each season (3500km). I’ve been happy with my decision but know my next bike will have cruise control. So far, the only mods done are a rad guard and with help from the great folks on this forum, colour matched OEM side cases. Overall, it’s been a super bike for returning to the sport. Good luck with your decision!

• Thumbsup 1

Sounds good glad your happy with it! The one im looking at  is the same gray with red front fender.I'm curios on your hight and wight ? I'm 6'2 195 lbs with a 32" inseam so longer torso with average legs , how do you find the screen and leg room?

Bit different on my end! 5’8, 190 lbs, 28.5” inseam. No fitment or discomfort issues but I do have to manage the bike by putting one foot down. I was toying with lowering it but may give it another go this season as stock. I forgot to mention I bought it with a Givi (D2139S) screen already fitted. It all works for me just fine. 

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, kyle J said:

For my relatively short day trips Im sure I won't miss it especially since I never had it before. 

"You don't miss what you've never had"  Its funny how that happens, I said the exact same thing when I got my FJ.  I had never owned a bike with ABS or traction control let alone heated grips and cruise control.  Once I installed them it was a revelation and I was forever spoiled.  Along with a center stand they are the 3 items I will never go without on any future bike purchase.

Fortunately the base Tracer and Tracer GT are the exact same bike structurally and the add-ons can be installed relatively easily if you choose.  The bikes versatility is a main selling point, sporty riding on twisty roads or pack on the bags and comfortably ride across the country.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

"You don't miss what you've never had"  Its funny how that happens, I said the exact same thing when I got my FJ.  I had never owned a bike with ABS or traction control let alone heated grips and cruise control.  Once I installed them it was a revelation and I was forever spoiled.  Along with a center stand they are the 3 items I will never go without on any future bike purchase.

Fortunately the base Tracer and Tracer GT are the exact same bike structurally and the add-ons can be installed relatively easily if you choose.  The bikes versatility is a main selling point, sporty riding on twisty roads or pack on the bags and comfortably ride across the country.

And don't forget putting in the slip assist clutch!

• Thumbsup 2