• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Well I love my pumpkins....

I was looking at flush mount turn signals. In principle they are great, but the reality (for me) is that they are too small to be effective.

Does anyone with flush mounts have an opinion on this? Are they just as visible (when flashing) as the pumpkins?

Thinking of seeing a psychiatrist. I have a motorbike with a speed restrictor fitted that I have no interest in removing. I have no interest in a noisy exhaust, I like my pumpkins, and although I have had two warnings - I haven't got a speeding ticket in 3 years. I live in Canada now. but in England by the time I was 20 years old I had 72 points on my driving licence.

58 years old,...Oh god, I've squared out....

Nah....the LED options are much brighter than the pumpkins while being smaller, the signals from 12oclock labs and TST industries are excellent choices. I wouldn't go flushmount, but the stalks are very nice and BRIGHT.

• Thumbsup 2

Posted (edited)

Skip the psychiatrist, go ride the bike.

BTW, I have LED flashers, much nicer and brighter than the pumpkins.

Edited by Fleng
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I love my pumpkins 😁. I swapped the orange lenses for clear ones, and installed LED bulbs + flasher relay. Amber-white (turn-run) switchback in the front, and amber (turn) in the rear. Large lenses/reflectors with some stand-off will always be more visible. YMMV

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Great minds think alike that's what I did in addition to my headlight modulator and driving lights and side marker lights that are Amber 

As well as a much brighter replacement tail light with integral turn signals 

It's called conspicuity!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

My only concern with flush mounts is the potential issue that they may not be seen from the opposing side of the bike that the flashing light is on.  At an intersection for example.  May not be an issue with the later versions of the bike but the earlier ones I think may be more susceptible to that due to the design of the earlier fairings.

Having said that I know@betoney swears by his flush mounts on his 2015 model that are apparently VERY bright.  He may chime in with his views/experience of his flush mounts.

FWIW, I changed my pumpkins out for Yamaha's slimline after market LED combo versions.  Did I need to? No is the answer but I just don't like the look of the pumpkins.  Personal taste thing of course.

• Thumbsup 2

I just think the pumpkins are hideous/large and look very dated, in particular when were used up until 2020 on a bike that everything else light wise is LED.

• Thumbsup 3

21 hours ago, arthur said:

I was looking at flush mount turn signals. In principle they are great, but the reality (for me) is that they are too small to be effective.

Does anyone with flush mounts have an opinion on this? Are they just as visible (when flashing) as the pumpkins?

Thinking of seeing a psychiatrist. I have a motorbike with a speed restrictor fitted that I have no interest in removing. I have no interest in a noisy exhaust, I like my pumpkins, and although I have had two warnings - I haven't got a speeding ticket in 3 years. I live in Canada now. but in England by the time I was 20 years old I had 72 points on my driving licence.

58 years old,...Oh god, I've squared out....

Nah, don't sweat it.  I am in the same boat and still have the pumpkins, not because I like them particularly, but because they work just fine.  Sure, LED would be brighter, but I almost never ride in the city or where there is much traffic, and the few times I do make turns at intersections, there is no one around to see my signals anyway, (but I always use them out of habit).

Flush mounts are not a good idea in my humble opinion.  The signals need to be easily discernable for others around you.  Flush mounts put them too close to the bike and reduce how visible they may be to others.  I want any other vehicle to be able to clearly see my intentions.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

Bigger is better and there's nothing bigger than the pumpkins which we love at Halloween and grill the seeds, salt them with a little butter mmmm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Having said that I know@betoney swears by his flush mounts on his 2015 model that are apparently VERY bright.  He may chime in with his views/experience of his flush mounts.

I actually don't have flush mounts though they are quite small, I tried flush mounts briefly and did not like them at all due to very limited visibility to oncoming vehicles.

Mine are the X-Arc machined aluminum turn signals.  They are small but blindingly bright and since they are machined aluminum, they are virtually indestructible.

Unfortunately the company appears to have gone out of business and they are no longer available. 

high-tech-speed-x-arc-duo-led-turn-signals-british-customs-3_b51aa45f-2a16-40eb-93c0-75fc16544d79.thumb.webp.f8fd0747481cea7d368922dcf5ce083d.webp

high-tech-speed-x-arc-duo-led-turn-signals-british-customs-1_eb7fff78-2f36-41f3-8b42-94fe445927df_800x.webp.277b2bbced6fdf981f566febc8dfdf52.webp

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

FWIW, I changed my pumpkins out for Yamaha's slimline after market LED combo versions.  Did I need to? No is the answer but I just don't like the look of the pumpkins.  Personal taste thing of course.

In a similar line of thought, I went with Yamaha OEM signals from the Super Tenere.   Factory LED lights on conventional stalks, they fit the stock FJ09 mounting points, only required swapping the connector on the signal wiring for a direct fit, and are BRIGHT.   I’ve had them on the bike for several years, and have been very pleased with the look and function. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I have yet to install a pair of these front & rear

They're Star Fleet regulation units that change to any color or function you want, and have Level 2 Phasers that can blow anything out of your path!

image.png.6d89a4a20b173c637eaee8c79ddc1b59.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I have yet to install a pair of these front & rear

They're Star Fleet regulation units that change to any color or function you want, and have Level 2 Phasers that can blow anything out of your path!

image.png.6d89a4a20b173c637eaee8c79ddc1b59.png

And if you can integrate the warp engine functionality 2and3 you will then truly have the fastest red.

...... But, I'm thinking that... wait for it -  "She'll not take it captain!"

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

One of the first things I did to my bike was to replace the pumpkin monstrosities with the OEM Yamaha Super Tenere LED lights. 

834046913_bikeII.thumb.png.4f005ccee15b8d9b377dfebf34e0322c.png

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, texscottyd said:

In a similar line of thought, I went with Yamaha OEM signals from the Super Tenere.   Factory LED lights on conventional stalks, they fit the stock FJ09 mounting points, only required swapping the connector on the signal wiring for a direct fit, and are BRIGHT.  

I recall having to replace the flasher relay down by the battery?

But maybe that was for the tidy tail??