Project : Made a nice custom tailbag for my FJ09 !

After looking around to buy a tailbag for the FJ, I really could not find exactly what I wanted...
Every one was either too large or too small, too long or too narrow...

I first converted a tankbag, but it was constantly touching my butt on every bump, which was very annoying.

So, in a momentarely lapse of reason, I decided to build one myself. ::)

One that would have the following characteristics :
[ul type=disc]
[*]As wide and large as the tail section allows[*]Waterproof[*]Not touching my butt.[*]Not scratching paint.[*]Can hold a rainsuit and more.[*]Easy to remove/install.[/ul]
I went to the local Club Tissu store, and bought some tough waterproof polyester, along with a waterproof zipper, reflective stripes and some rubbery slip proof cloathing.
Total expenses 60$...

Then, using cardboard, I created the shape of the tailbag that I would really like. The bottom section follows the size of rear seat + handgrab.

a0CT3mjl.jpg
Ph2Fj99l.jpg

I then used the cardboard pieces as templates, and cutted all the polyester pieces required. I have a semi-professionnal sewing machine that is strong enough to sew thick stuff.

Bottom
The floor is composed of 2 layers of polyester with 1/4 thick form foam, another layer of rubbery anti-slip material will ensure no slippage once installed on bike.

Walls
To add rigidity, each walls are 2 layers thick with a piece of crazy carpet plastic sandwitched between the two layers...

Cover
The top is composed of 3 pieces, it was lacking rigidity, layers were separating, so I had to improvise and sew a line with a G (Gauvin) in the middle. Bye Bye waterproofiness..., but at least it holds its shape, and this adds a little design to it.

Straps
I used small plastic 1/2" straps holders with D shape rings to secure the bag, this works quite well. :)

Sewing
All this took about 3-4 hours. Then the toughest part was to sew the zipper. That was really tough.
Just the zipper took me 3 hours too, with many reattempts and modifications. I made many mistakes, but overall the final prototype is good enough to be usable.
In the end I was still not satisfied with the results, but hey, it works. That part does not look professionnal at all... >:D

If I add the cost of material with work 8x15$ an hour, I will need to sell those at least 180-200$ to start making money...
You cannot beat the Chineses !
So don't ask me to make one for you. :) (puke)

The end result is THE perfect tailbag, :D 
Ok, maybe not good enough to be sold, but It does not move at all, you really can't tell its there at all.
It is surprisedly roomy, and fit with the edgy design of the bike.
When empty, it holds its shape well.

Here is what it looks like once installed.

Any comments will be appreciated ( good or bad )

:)

GT1uEjsl.jpgXLWIuhQl.jpgwZhK9a4l.jpgVXf4tpvl.jpgIaZLQU8l.jpguZ0EkW7l.jpgWRs89nsl.jpgUXZ1RBVl.jpg9UNq64vl.jpg

• Premium Member
Nice work! I wish I was that handy to make things!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

The other seams are sealed with 3m silicone seam tape.
It is a tape that you put between layers or iron on.
This cannot work with the G that I stitched.
I might try with silicone spray inside...

Last day I washed my bike and soaked the bag badly.
Some drops came thru the G spot but none elsewhere... :)

• Premium Member
The other seams are sealed with 3m silicone seam tape. It is a tape that you put between layers or iron on.
This cannot work with the G that I stitched.
I might try with silicone spray inside...

So what you are saying is that there is a problem with your G spot soaking through? Interesting. blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Don't do that.  Caulk it up as a test.  Please tell us again why it's the G spot? :D

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived