CLUTCH CABLE

As I posted on another thread here , the clutch cable has started to come apart causing excessive freeplay at lever and will only dissengage clatch when lever is pulled all the way to the grip . So I tried to order a new clutch cable from the dealer only to find out its not available at this time and is considered to be on back-order with a release date of August 21 . The FJ was purchased last December and has 9200 commuting miles on it , 40 miles on freeway and 5 miles on streets each way for a total of 90 miles daily . Im just glad I kept my trusty FZ1 as a backup . 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine started to unravel about 3" from the top at around 3,500 miles. My dealer replaced it under warranty. I wonder if the availability issue stems from more owners with bad cables?
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• Premium Member
I read on the FZ forum that 4 a year have had this problem. I was hoping it was limited to the older models. I will have to check mine. Seems to be a kink in the line causing this.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I read on the FZ forum that 4 a year have had this problem. I was hoping it was limited to the older models. I will have to check mine. Seems to be a kink in the line causing this.

It seems to be the sharp angle where the sheathing transitions from the rigid steel to the flexible portion that does it. My new cable is starting to get a tad rough at 5,200 miles total (I lube it once a week with LPS 2).
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• 3 weeks later...
Good day folks don't have the FJ yet. First post. Acquiring one on Monday after selling the FZ-09

My FZ-09 needed a clutch cable after it started fraying at the lever/perch end after 8000 miles.

I ordered two, one replacement and one spare as the dealer said they were in high demand.

Have not checked part numbers yet, hope the FZ and FJ share the same cable.

Excited !!!

• Premium Member
Good day folks don't have the FJ yet. First post. Acquiring one on Monday after selling the FZ-09 
My FZ-09 needed a clutch cable after it started fraying at the lever/perch end after 8000 miles.

I ordered two, one replacement and one spare as the dealer said they were in high demand.

Have not checked part numbers yet, hope the FZ and FJ share the same cable.

Excited !!!

Looks like a different part number: FZ-09 (1RC-26335-00-00)
FJ-09 (2PP-26335-01-00)

This might be due to the higher handlebars requiring a longer cable.
Welcome aboard.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Final outcome on the clutch cable ....It wasnt covered by Yamaha warranty . I purchased a new cable for $22.00 only to find out its on backorder , took a week and a half for my local dealer to recieve it . The clutch cable is specific to the FJ . I replaced the cable in about 30 minutes and had the ECU reflashed by 2wheel Dynoworks while I was waiting for the cable ( big improvement ) . The replacement cable looked identical to the original and Im seriously thinking the new cable wont last long either , tight bends near the perch and it is routed along the cylinder head soaking up all the engine heat .

Ordered a new one today, Cdn $29. Mine is still OK (8.4 K km), but I might as well have a spare in my garage. If they go often I'll order another spare to always stay 1 ahead, and carry it on longer trips.

Saturday I noticed when putting it in gear the first time (oil still not yet hot), it took a significant pull. Could be that I hadn't ridden it in almost 2 weeks, as I didn't notice it over the rest of the 460 km day ride. I did 1,600 km the previous weekend on the KTM which has a very light pull hydraulic clutch. I have no problem with cable clutches that need a strong hand, but a snapped cable isn't good. :o

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Final outcome on the clutch cable ....It wasnt covered by Yamaha warranty . I purchased a new cable for $22.00 only to find out its on backorder , took a week and a half for my local dealer to recieve it . The clutch cable is specific to the FJ . I replaced the cable in about 30 minutes and had the ECU reflashed by 2wheel Dynoworks while I was waiting for the cable ( big improvement ) . The replacement cable looked identical to the original and Im seriously thinking the new cable wont last long either , tight bends near the perch and it is routed along the cylinder head soaking up all the engine heat .
I would have a word with their service manager about that.  I ran service departments for dealerships for years, there is no way a clutch cable should wear out in a couple of months.  A quick search on the FZ forums shows this is a common problem with the FZ as well-the cables are identical except for length, and they are all coming apart about 2" from the lever where the sheathing turns from steel to flexible.  It is a design issue, and will keep happening until they fix it. 
As a side note, I'm lubing my cable twice weekly now and it seems to help (at 6400 total), only time will tell.
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
My clutch lever seemed loose this morning and I thought maybe I just needed to adjust it but I hadn't noticed it being loose until today. I tightened it after work and 2 miles from home it went. That was a fun walk 
Which end let go? Did you change the levers, and if you did, did you lube the cable afterward? 

• Premium Member
My clutch lever seemed loose this morning and I thought maybe I just needed to adjust it but I hadn't noticed it being loose until today. I tightened it after work and 2 miles from home it went. That was a fun walk 
Which end let go? Did you change the levers, and if you did, did you lube the cable afterward?
I would also be curious about the mileage on your bike.  I'm thinking carrying an extra clutch cable around (maybe stashing it under the passenger seat) would be a good idea.

I would also be curious about the mileage on your bike.  I'm thinking carrying an extra clutch cable around (maybe stashing it under the passenger seat) would be a good idea. 

When I used to trail ride, we would always put two clutch cables on the bike.  Route the spare along with the first one, zip tie a sandwich bag over each end to keep dirt out.  When the first cable fails, you simply swap the ends.
'15 FJ-09

Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Archived