What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, I’m GPS said:

Added some road 6 tires, Yamaha heated comfort seat, and Yamaha tank pads recently. Then rode 1500 miles. All additions were super! 

IMG_9471.jpg

What was ambient temp when you recently used your new heated saddle?

🥵

I used it a few times, when it was in the 60’s. Up about 10,000 feet and raining. I also have a Gerbing heated jacket liner which is probably my #1 favorite article of riding gear. I don’t think the heated seat is a must have but heated or not, I do advocate for the Yamaha Comfort seat. 

• Thumbsup 2

Today I replaced the front brake switch with a new unit. The cruise control has been intermittent for a while, I don't really use cc much so wasn't too bothered about this. But more recently the brake light itself started acting up, sometimes staying on when the brake was off. New switch unit (60 of the finest British pounds) has solved both issues. 

Thanks to @Heli ATP for a sick deal on a matching luggage set for my 1 month old 2017. Had to pick up some new side case mounts due to Yamaha discontinuing their offerings, but the forum steered me right. Ready to rock for a trip later this month!

IMG_3124.thumb.jpeg.0f7b193620bdca4d1e75e6e8efeb030e.jpegIMG_3125.thumb.jpeg.0f20f7eb94b41404ce060bb83f74d843.jpeg

Will need to be add a wide load sign and remember that the bars are no longer the whiskers they used to be!

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, theog said:

Thanks to @Heli ATP for a sick deal on a matching luggage set for my 1 month old 2017. Had to pick up some new side case mounts due to Yamaha discontinuing their offerings, but the forum steered me right. Ready to rock for a trip later this month!IMG_3124.thumb.jpeg.0f7b193620bdca4d1e75e6e8efeb030e.jpeg

I like it. Looking forward to the trip report.

• Thumbsup 2

I installed STS , smart turn system today , got a sweet deal on a brand new set for only 70$ . Had this system on my previous bike , Yamaha bolt . Once you get used to it you will  never go back . Also installed drl/ turn signals. 

• Thumbsup 2

Did a few things over the last couple of days.

Today was the Givi crash bars. Now just need to find some highway pegs to mount to them.

Anyone have a suggestion for ones that work well with the Givi bars?

image.jpeg.d7b2b48085a9d0a63fb911a9bba73d97.jpeg

image.jpeg.a408474d898bce16c658e13b9f109318.jpeg

Over the weekend was the tank bag ring and the Puig shorty windscreen

image.jpeg.887be6454b84e4c98275b77c2322ddcd.jpeg

image.jpeg.fdb84711860cbfff570be1bd96c97e4f.jpeg

image.jpeg.d54bdf27d35b5e7671cf03cbede8b751.jpeg

The screen is great, at least right now while it's still warm.

Edited by RD52
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, RD52 said:

image.jpeg.d54bdf27d35b5e7671cf03cbede8b751.jpeg

The screen is great, at least right now while it's still warm.

If you find a screen that works well, don’t change it for winter, just wear an extra base layer unless you need the screen protection for heavy rain. 

A screen that works well on this bike is kind of like finding a unicorn.  I really like the smaller screen so I don’t change it anymore.  When fall arrives, my summer riding gear gets put away and the winter gear now gets full time use. 

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

If you find a screen that works well, don’t change it for winter just wear an extra base layer, unless you need the screen protection for heavy rain. 

A screen that works well on this bike is kind of like finding a unicorn.  I really like the smaller screen so I don’t change it anymore.  When fall arrives, my summer riding gear gets put away and the winter gear now gets full time use. 

Strong agree.  The stock windscreen is bad and should feel bad, and while it DOES cover more than a small sport screen does (keeping you warmer) simply getting a heated jacket liner is WAY better and doesn't result in head buffeting like the stock screen does.

I went with a smaller screen and swapped the stock screen back for winter riding at first, but now I leave the puig sport screen(like yours) on all the time too, just like @betoney above.  The buffeting sucks, and riding is much, much more comfortable with a small screen.

The reality of these bikes is you either need a barn door, or a sport screen... Or get really lucky trying random windscreens and clip on addons etc.  Windscreens aren't cheap, though, and IMHO you're more likely than not to spend a lot of money trying various windscreens unsuccessfully before you find that unicorn. 

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 5

2 hours ago, betoney said:

If you find a screen that works well, don’t change it for winter just wear an extra base layer, unless you need the screen protection for heavy rain. 

I actually got lucky, the bike came with the stock windscreen with one of those clip-on visor thingys attached, and it works pretty well. Surprised me.

But I do like the extra airflow the shorty gives in hot weather.

• Thumbsup 2

Some nitnoid stuff today, swingarm spools installed and chain adjusted.

Also forgot to mention, the other day removed the bar risers that had been installed.

Went for a decent ride today, 120 miles or so. With the shorty shield I like the riding position without the risers a little better. But I may put them back on when I go to the bigger shield for colder weather.

• Premium Member

My Givi Barn Door with MFW Tour spoiler for winter, my stock size doublish-bubblish with small spoiler which I run 75% of the time, and my Bikini screen for extended hot weather days.

Screen height asembly strengthened considerably with supplemental brackets and stays with bicycle axle adjuster on low usually but with 20 mm spacers moving the screens out for laminar air flow underneath. 

20230827_212927.jpg

20170326_162923.jpg

20170520_154842.jpg

20170520_153929.jpg

20191004_181703.jpg

20201119_161509.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1