What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Finally got my Zombie Outbreak Response Team decals applied. Decals are that reflective stuff.  Would have gotten my heated grips installed, but I didn't have any Yamaha Racelube. Maybe next weekend.

2ikBXEP.jpg

ztopzrI.jpg

BlA6o1v.jpg

wWwNArs.jpg

Installing a Shorai Lithium battery today. Total weight reduction should now be about 25LBS, bringing wet weight down to around 440. My last couple bikes, a C14 (640LBS) and a KTM 1290 SA (570LBS) I can tell you, I will never go back to a heavy bike again.

It's a crazy price for the backrest. Big picture to me it's not that crazy as I plan to get one eventually if the sargent seat isn't sufficient for the wife. If the wife is comfy, that means more time can be spent on the bike having fun which makes the $350 more than a bargain.
Fair enough - but it is totally out of keeping with the character of the bike. More suited to a Yamaha Virago or somesuch. I sometimes have to take my daughters and wife as passengers (not at same time, this is not India!) and I have a top box with back rest that I pop on when needed. No more or less ugly, more functional, and not there when it doesn't have to be. 

• Premium Member
Installing a Shorai Lithium battery today. Total weight reduction should now be about 25LBS, bringing wet weight down to around 440. My last couple bikes, a C14 (640LBS) and a KTM 1290 SA (570LBS) I can tell you, I will never go back to a heavy bike again.
That is impressive!  I love light bikes too.  So what did you do to your FJ to achieve that?Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Well, the big items are the full exhaust system (12 LBS saving) and the battery (another 6 LBS).....the rest: rear pegs and bracket removal, turn signal replacements, rear license plate and turn signal extension removed, lighter rear sets make up the rest. I think I only added less than 1 LB with the laminar lip. It's gunna get harder to remove much more weight at this point. Would probably do a set of Carrozzeria wheels (about 10 LBS savings) if they were available. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to go to great effort to remove this kind of weight, but I'm not real rational when it comes to motorcycles. :)  

• Premium Member
I crashed it. After 22 years of crash-free riding, I had my first off-the-bike experience yesterday while riding with an R6 and a (2) R1's. Yamaha built a strong bike in the FJ-09. I was leading the ride, and I came up on a much slower rider (Harley poser) in a corner, and had to either hit him or go off-roading. I chose the latter. I ended up getting air twice. I got slowed down to around 35 mph before I laid her down. Those ugly hand guards that I had considered removing totally did their job. Neither the clutch lever, brake reservoir, cables, nor my hand suffered any damage. The suspension all seems undamaged (I rode another 115 miles after the crash.) The Rox risers didn't move a bit. After cleaning her up, I found no permanent damage besides some scratches on the hand guard and mirror, all of which could be replaced cheaply. What did I learn? Get some frame sliders. If I had gone down on pavement, or if there had been gravel where I dropper her, the engine and transmission covers would have been smoked (see the mud on said covers.) Also, always wear your gear. The heat index here was 93, but I'd have a screwed up arm if I hadn't been wearing a jacket.

4727317.jpg  

4727316.jpg