What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Hi all. New member here with a question. I just picked up a new 2016 FJ-09 on Monday that I got a great deal on after much research on the bike. I live in Winnipeg (Canada) and doubt I will get much ride time before the snow falls. I want to put on a battery minder for the winter and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Also, does disconnecting the battery to connect the pigtails, then reconnecting the battery require any special precautions (does it mess with ECU or dash)? I ordered some goodies for the bike and will post pics once they are installed. Thanks in advance (oh I checked the How-to section and didn't see anything, probably because it is too easy).

Took the FJ for a nice 300 mile round trip from New Market AL to Waverly TN for work, taking advantage of the last few days of this extended summer.  It reached 90°F yesterday at home, a new record high for this time of year, but the high temperature is supposed to drop 20° starting tomorrow evening.

None the less, it's nice when I can combine pleasure and work.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• Premium Member
Hi all. New member here with a question. I just picked up a new 2016 FJ-09 on Monday that I got a great deal on after much research on the bike. I live in Winnipeg (Canada) and doubt I will get much ride time before the snow falls. I want to put on a battery minder for the winter and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Also, does disconnecting the battery to connect the pigtails, then reconnecting the battery require any special precautions (does it mess with ECU or dash)? I ordered some goodies for the bike and will post pics once they are installed. Thanks in advance (oh I checked the How-to section and didn't see anything, probably because it is too easy).
you might get more replies if you start a new, topic specific thread 
the only effect of disconnecting the battery is to zero the time clock

there is a thread for a 5 US $ charger - if that is not suitable or available to you in Canada then look out for the Ctek brand - http://smartercharger.com/ seems to be the North America site. This brand has a formidable reputation. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks for the response. I checked the $5 US charger post but the link no longer shows the charger. However, the Ctek chargers are sold by various vendors here so I will look for one. I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I installed a battery minder on my previous bike, a 2001 HD Dyna T-Sport (FX-DXT), but electronics were rudimentary on that bike at best (i.e. carb model, no EFI). Thanks again.

IMG_3102.jpg
Added Hepco & Becker engine guards, then mounted Rigid Industries Dually fog light(SAE compliant version)
IMG_3101.jpg
used the supplied wiring harness but customized it so that the switch works only when ignition on.
IMG_3097.jpg
Above pic is fog light beams only, no headlight.
IMG_3096.jpg

Also got an amber lense cover for them, in addition to the clear covers. +XP for Visibility!

• Premium Member
roflmao.gif@ your avatar. That's the most hilarious one I've seen in years.

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

We used to extend dirtbikes throw out arms to do the same thing at the expense of longer travel obviously.. Fwiw that dot should line up with the pointer on the case too when the freeplay is taken up to maximise the leverage effects.
Yes, the dot & arrow should been aligned, but because the Tracer had bad clutch cables, this bike was swapped out with an R1's (higher quality) cable. The R1 cable is significantly longer measured end-to-end and left me with no more adjustment. 971f1b3ed5ef36a7a19bae961204a7e0.jpg
R1 cable installed
7ff0d7f579306a1bb5f4577d01e46090.jpg
Clutch adjustment before Bolt's actuator swap

I took this chance to shift the actuator a notch outwards, to gain back a bit of cable adjustment on my clutch lever, that's why the dot aren't aligned. On stock Tracer's clutch cable, it is not necessary.

That looks like a good idea. I wouldn't mind doing that to mine. Can I ask with what you swapped the lever arm please? (throw out arm? never heard that expression in the UK but that may just be my ignorance) is that another stock Yamaha part? Would you have a part number (or bike model) please?

Thanks,
ET

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Took off the stock hand guards and fitted some Barkbusters Blizzard guards for winter time riding. I had these on my CB500X last year and they are amazing. When paired with heated grips I can wear my summer gloves into the lower 40's, middleweight gloves into the lower 30's, and then I'll just pull out my heated gloves for anything under freezing.

If you do a lot of winter/cold weather riding, I highly recommend them. No issues at all with fitment or turning the bars lock to lock. Takes about 10 minutes to remove the stock guards and get these completely on. 

IMG_2555_zpsjactf31k.jpg

IMG_2554_zpsmziamcpm.jpg

Took off the stock hand guards and fitted some Barkbusters Blizzard guards for winter time riding. I had these on my CB500X last year and they are amazing. When paired with heated grips I can wear my summer gloves into the lower 40's, middleweight gloves into the lower 30's, and then I'll just pull out my heated gloves for anything under freezing. 
If you do a lot of winter/cold weather riding, I highly recommend them. No issues at all with fitment or turning the bars lock to lock. Takes about 10 minutes to remove the stock guards and get these completely on. 

IMG_2555_zpsjactf31k.jpg

IMG_2554_zpsmziamcpm.jpg

I have a set of these that I will be installing soon. Used them last winter and rode almost year round (live in GA)

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I broke the 100 mile mark, but ordered some different handlebars, grips, and handguards. These will go with the rear rack I already ordered.
Be aware when I changed my handlebars I had to replace the clutch, throttle and brake lines to make it work. I had a discussion with another member here who just re-routed and ended up breaking his clutch cable. I special ordered all the cables and added 2 inches to their lengths to make it fit right.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold