What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

cbff7f9cfde06e24351a7f586420fda4.jpg 
My new to me 2015 Red FJ-09 followed me the rest of the way home today. ?

Whoever is riding that is doing an awesome wheely!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
12,000 mile service today. Replaced oil filter anyway as the 12,000 service doesn't require changing it. I believe why change the oil and leave a dirty filter? Enjoying the FJ09 allot.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

@angelocorreia I live in GA so I can ride almost year-round. These Barkbuster Blizzards combined with the OEM heated grips are amazing.. I think I will be able to ride until it hits the low 20s Farenheit.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Take 3 PSI out of the tires and you'll be fine. I run 30F/30R during the winter. Admittedly all sport-touring rubber from Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli and so forth. The Shinko 003 which is nominally a 'sport' tire does just fine below freezing. Shinko 008 which are "track slicks" are death however at 50F let alone lower.

... I think I will be able to ride until it hits the low 20s Farenheit.
I was meaning to ask somewhere on the forum just how well motorcycle tires do in below freezing temps. I realize, compounds are generally softer (multi-compound types) than what is found on typical all-season car tires (single compound), but still... doesn't traction become compromised at some point? Rubber generally meant for summer doesn't do well in the winter, and vice versa... just asking. :|
I have about 5100 miles on the stock tires.. I notice that when leaving the parking lot of my workplace if I get on it right away I can trigger the TCS, but generally after I make it down the road a bit I notice no difference in handling characteristics. I always keep the psi at recommended settings, but dropping a few psi as suggested by @pattonme might not be a bad idea.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Take 3 PSI out of the tires and you'll be fine. I run 30F/30R during the winter. Admittedly all sport-touring rubber from Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli and so forth. The Shinko 003 which is nominally a 'sport' tire does just fine below freezing. Shinko 008 which are "track slicks" are death however at 50F let alone lower.

Your kidding right?!?! Come on... I'd love to find any tire manufacturer that recommends this! Now admittedly I've only been riding for 50 years but this sound like bs to me.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Rode about 200 miles today. Saw a big black Bear cross the road in front of me while in the southern section of the Ocala National forest. FJ09 just humming along. Great weather in Central Florida. Cool enough early in the morning to use my heated grips in low (1) mode. Put the thermal liner back in my Helite jacket. Snug as a bug....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....