Looking to get an FJ-09, but...

Looking to get an FJ-09, but from what I've been reading here there seems to be a lot of issues and recalls with these. Things like clutch cables snapping every couple thousand miles, ABS acting funny, engines randomly cutting out at speed, and things like that kind of freaks me out a bit. My current bike is pretty bullet proof and hasnt had a single issue in the 10k miles I've put on it this season, so it makes it harder to give up that peace of mind for something that seems more unpredictable. Are these bikes generally reliable? I really love the style and everything they offer, so I hope it's something I would be happy with in the long run. Is there anything I should look out for when it comes time to purchase one?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome, I have only about 1K miles so far as its crud weather but I have not had any issues. Any bike can have a problem, although my V Strom was pretty bullet proof, I wanted something more exciting. More exciting may lead to additional problems, but keep in mind you usually see the problems online because happy owners are not sitting around bitching on the interwebz.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Don't believe the hype.

Yes, there has been a recall. There may even be another one for the faulty design of the oil sump, but the way I look at it, I'm glad that Yamaha recognizes a problem and steps up to deal with it.

I'm a former BMW owner. I can't tell you how many common problems there have been with those bikes that the mothership refused to deal with. I, for one, am pleased that Yamaha recognizes and deals with problems properly when they become evident.

Very happy with my FJ-09, as I have been with just about every other Yamaha that I've owned.

• Premium Member
Mine has been bullet-proof, but I have had the opportunity to put only 5200 miles on it.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

The only problem I've had with it was poor setup. That's the dealer's fault, not Yamaha or the bike. Other than that, 4200 trouble free miles. Some of the issues you mention I'm not even familiar with. I've scoured this forum pretty good too. Engine cutting out under hard acceleration is a setting you can turn off. Only issue with ABS I've heard of is a dealer setup issue. I've only heard of a few clutch cable issues. I only know of one recall and that was just on early bikes. Really not too bad if you ask me. I'm sure you will find a host of issues if you scour a forum dedicated to the bike you're on.

Engine cutting out under hard acceleration is a setting you can turn off. 
esplain please?
traction control keeps the front wheel on the ground by cutting engine power. That's what TCS does on all vehicles (modulates power when differences in wheel speed are detected). You can turn it off and wheelie all you want. I've not heard of power being cut while maintaining a constant speed on a clean surface, other than the obvious, running out of fuel.

• Premium Member
I'm sure if you go to any model-specific web forum you'll find some "issues" that people talk about. It amplifies the problem because only those few who have experienced the problem post about it. The rest of us don't post about problems we don't have.

"My clutch cable didn't break again today..."

ohhhh, thats not what i consider my engine cutting out..... thats traction control. Engine cutting is sudden engine braking damn near throwing you off the bike until you pull the clutch. No?

esplain please?
traction control keeps the front wheel on the ground by cutting engine power. That's what TCS does on all vehicles (modulates power when differences in wheel speed are detected). You can turn it off and wheelie all you want. I've not heard of power being cut while maintaining a constant speed on a clean surface, other than the obvious, running out of fuel.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

8200 miles and the only problem was my clutch cable frayed to the point of being unable to operate it. Dealer will take care of it under warranty. Keep it lubed and it'll probably last a long longer, but I ride mine every day, ~250 miles a week, rain or shine.

esplain please?
Traction control is one thing, but people were saying the engine literally would shut off and not turn back on so they'd have to grab the clutch and coast to a stop. This is not normal

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/2802/looking-get-fj-09?page=1#ixzz3uP8MRJjk

8200 miles and the only problem was my clutch cable frayed to the point of being unable to operate it. Dealer will take care of it under warranty. Keep it lubed and it'll probably last a long longer, but I ride mine every day, ~250 miles a week, rain or shine.
The clutch cable is really the main thing I'm concerned about. There is no reason a clutch cable should be fraying or snapping every few thousand miles 

• Premium Member
The clutch cable is really the main thing I'm concerned about. There is no reason a clutch cable should be fraying or snapping every few thousand miles
That is easily remedied with a Motion Pro replacement. In all my years riding, I have only snapped one clutch cable, so when this appeared on the forum as a potential problem I had Motion Pro make one up for me since they didn't have a stock replacement in their inventory. My expectations are, with a reasonable lubing schedule, that the MP will last many thousands of miles because they do not have the sharp bend at the bar end that the stockers do. And, Yamaha may address the problem also.  It ain't a deal killer.  

7500 km on my FJ and she has been nothing but noble. I have ridden in rain, heat and cold. I have waken up and had to knock ice off of it and it started up like a champ.
I use to ride only Hondas for the reliability, but I feel as comfortable 900 km from home with my Yamaha FJ09 as would with a Honda.

Archived