Fuel range rant

• Premium Member
what's wrong with 87 MON fuel? That's the rating for our 97 RON super unleaded in Europe. Only the fuels labelled with posh brand names like Vpower & Momentum have higher ratings.

Yamaha says use 95 RON regular unleaded in Europe, which is your 85 MON. Are you special or just mugs for an extra few cents per litre?

Anyway, this is a piss poor rant. If you wanted a bike to do 250+ miles per tank then you chose the wrong bike. Go buy an R1200GS Adventure.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to track all my fuel with an app. Then that app crashed and wouldn't open at all. Now I drive for a while, then fill up the tank. Then I drive a little more and fill up the tank.

In realistic terms, the FJ is a budget sport touring bike. More sport than touring. Maybe even more budget than touring. That being said, I took a trip to the tail of the dragon with 3 other guys recently. Ended up being a 12 hour drive there and a 12 hour drive back. Most times I had over half a tank by the times the other guys needed gas. There were a couple times I skipped filling up because the fuel gauge still showed full and I made it till the next time they needed gas. My point is, the FJ is still a lot more touring than some other bikes. 180-200 miles is the low end of a touring bike range but the FJ is on the extreme low of a touring bike price. If you need more range for a certain trip or area of the country, mount a spare canister or get a bigger, heavier, more expensive bike.

• Premium Member
I just got back from a 1300 mile ride to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia in 100 deg plus heat. I averaged over 50 mpg. As soon as I dropped to sea level and cooler temps mpg dropped to 44. This is with med Cal Sci screen, and 3 Givi bags.

what's wrong with 87 MON fuel? That's the rating for our 97 RON super unleaded in Europe. Only the fuels labelled with posh brand names like Vpower & Momentum have higher ratings. 
Yamaha says use 95 RON regular unleaded in Europe, which is your 85 MON. Are you special or just mugs for an extra few cents per litre?

Anyway, this is a piss poor rant. If you wanted a bike to do 250+ miles per tank then you chose the wrong bike. Go buy an R1200GS Adventure.
The US manual says on page 4-24 "Recommended fuel: Premium unleaded gasoline (Gasohol (E10) acceptable)" ... "Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use premium unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2] of 91 or higher, or a research octane number of 95 or higher."   
91-93 [(R+M)/2] in the states is premium.  87 [(R+M)/2] is regular.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/owners-manuals

• Premium Member

The US manual says on page 4-24 "Recommended fuel: Premium unleaded gasoline (Gasohol (E10) acceptable)" ... "Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use premium unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2] of 91 or higher, or a research octane number of 95 or higher."   

So, our premium fuels with RON as high as 100 are more premium than your premium fuels - although the marketing bollocks says their premiumness is about the non-petrol bits rather than the octane rating.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

So, our premium fuels with RON as high as 100 are more premium than your premium fuels - although the marketing bollocks says their premiumness is about the non-petrol bits rather than the octane rating.
Quite possibly, although I'm not sure.  I thought I read somewhere since stateside we used an average of the Ron and mon, one or the other may fluctuate as long as it averaged out.  Again I think I read it somewhere on the internet so it must be true.  And now that I'm on the couch I'm too lazy to look it up for sure.  All I know is I have to put the expensive stuff in my tank on this side of the pond.

• Premium Member
I just got back from a 1300 mile ride to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia in 100 deg plus heat. I averaged over 50 mpg. As soon as I dropped to sea level and cooler temps mpg dropped to 44. This is with med Cal Sci screen, and 3 Givi bags.

• Premium Member
what's wrong with 87 MON fuel?
Nothing. But as others pointed out, the USA use PON which is (MON+RON)/2. 87 octane PON is below Yamaha's recommendation.

I know almost nobody agrees with me. I just think it's lame as f*** when I have to plan rides around gas stations rather than awesome roads.

I'm not asking for shaft drive or off-road capability. Yamaha could have given this bike a 20-22 liter tank without really changing its character. Hell, the frickin Moto Guzzi V7 carries 22L and it weighs somewhere around 400lbs dripping wet.

the anger is strong in this one, he will make an excellent apprentice!

pope-turns-into-darth-sidious.jpg

I'm sure you're right. Still...

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived