Fuel range rant

By the way I'd be delighted to ride west of the Rockies some time, if you provide an FJ-09 with the range to do it  ;)

CS

Bring yours.. Ill show you how adequate it is :-) 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I was watching the Motorcycle Magazines online review of the BMW S1000XR and the Ducati Multistrada 1200S, and I found myself comparing their mpg and range to my FJ-09. The data for the BMW and Multistrada are from the article, the FJ-09 data is from my personal experience. 
Doesn't appear that the range of the FJ-09 is out of line with what other bikes get

Fuel Capacity
BMW - 5.3 gal
Multi - 5.3 gal
FJ09 - 4.8 gal

Fuel Mileage (Avg)
BMW - 39 mpg
Multi - 40 mpg
FJ09 - 45 mpg

Range (including reserve)
BMW - 207 miles
Multi - 212 miles
FJ09 - 216 miles
My average mpg (over my last 1100 miles of mixed riding - including lots of twisty roads) is 43.3mpg. Still matches the BMW range.

Guest dmizer
Up until I bought the fj most of my previous street bikes had 250+- mile range with a decent reserve so I guess I was a bit spoiled as well.
What bikes did you previously have, GSA?

I know I'm really late to this thread, but I just got back from a trip down to the Smokies. Around home I've been averaging 44-45 mpg, but was surprised to find heading across country averaging around 75 mph I was getting between 56-59 mpg. There's no way I anticipated that. The last leg of the trip I did 195.4 miles, which was my longest leg and could only fit 3.4 gallons. I did notice if I got much faster that the fuel mileage dropped. I figure this puts it pretty close to what my old FZ1 was for fuel range.

Did a 700 mile weekend ride and was really pleased with the MPG. One particularly aggressive tank (about 150 miles-curvy road, hard on the throttle and 95-100 MPH in between) still resulted in almost 45 MPG. (My previous bikes would have yielded low to mid 30's)

• Premium Member
The new bottles have a fill line that allows for thermal expansion. Back packers have been using these for years with no problems. I have used these in 111 deg F and at 8000 feet with no problems.

I have still found the bike has more range than I do. Did 197 miles today on 3.5 gallons. If you ran the tank dry that would give a range of just over 260 miles.

Admittedly this is averaging 45 mph, and I don't have panniers mounted, but I also wasn't shooting for fuel efficiency. Spent most of the ride in 5th, I bet I could eek out another few mpg in 6th and tucking behind the windscreen, but I didn't buy this bike for the mpg.

I decided to push the limit the other day and found it. I knew where I was going had plenty of fuel and I came up a couple miles short, I made 36 miles with the light on! To those that doubt the 4.8 gallon capacity, this was filled while on the center stand without playing with the nozzle to get a couple more ounces in.

IMG_20160622_183209897_HDR.jpg
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

On my regular ride to Mt. Lemon in Tucson, a 5200 elevation change over 30 miles. I'm ten miles from the base of mountain. Up hill the average is about 62MPG and returning home upper 60's MPG. It's either a 50 or 80 mile round trip depending on how far up I go. The shorter 50 mile ride yields about 66MPG total and 58MPG up hill. Speeds are 45 to 50MPH.  This is on par with a CB500X I had previously. On my ocasional long ride down to Parker Canyon yet to be taken on the Yamaha , a 140 mile round trip with average speed around 65, I should yield the same as the Honda did, 59-62MPG.

IMG_2088_zpsja3varpz.jpg

• Premium Member
On my regular ride to Mt. Lemon in Tucson, a 5200 elevation change over 30 miles. I'm ten miles from the base of mountain. Up hill the average is about 62MPG and returning home upper 60's MPG. It's either a 50 or 80 mile round trip depending on how far up I go. The shorter 50 mile ride yields about 66MPG total and 58MPG up hill. Speeds are 45 to 50MPH.  This is on par with a CB500X I had previously. On my ocasional long ride down to Parker Canyon yet to be taken on the Yamaha , a 140 mile round trip with average speed around 65, I should yield the same as the Honda did, 59-62MPG. 
IMG_2088_zpsja3varpz.jpg

I think you got my bike by mistake, send me your address so I can come over and swap bikes.
BLB

IMG_2088_zpsja3varpz.jpg

That's pretty awesome.. but i think that is an extreme example and most people cant really expect that. Also, if you truly are getting 70 MPG then I don't think you are truly enjoying this bike ;) . It's like owning a sports car and never exceeding the posted speed limit. Its begging you to open up that throttle.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I have followed this thread from the beginning.

Some basic facts.

The FJ carries 4.8 gallons of gas. Says so right there in the specs.

It's a fairly high performance 850cc triple.

Some basic questions.

How far did you think that less than 5 gallons of gas would get you?

What MPG were you expecting from a fairly high performance 850cc triple?

Here in the real world those of us who have traveled on the FJ are getting 50ish traveling. Some higher some lower.

50 X 4 = 200 mpg. Add to that .8 gallons of reserve. 40 more miles to empty = 240 miles

From personal experience.

Around town (in "A" mode TC off mostly) low to mid 40 mpg. So 4 x 40 = 160 miles. The.8 gets you another 30 miles. 190 miles.

So what exactly is the problem?

Everyone knew this when they bought the bike... So be an adult, recognize the fact that you have 4 gallons of gas with .8 reserve and plan around it....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived