Fuel range rant

• Premium Member
First of all: the first person who says, "But I like to get off the bike and stretch every 50-100 miles..." gets a virtual slap.

I had a great ride Monday-Tuesday in eastern Oregon and northern Nevada. I rode 640 miles Monday through Prineville, Paulina, Burns, Frenchglen, and Denio on my way to Battle Mountain and enjoyed some truly phenomenal roads. This is truly where the FJ-09 was meant to be ridden.

On the stretch from Prineville to Burns I rode 250 miles and passed just one gas station, and it only offered 87 octane regular or diesel. Obviously I bought the regular because I had no choice. On the next stretch, Burns to Winnemucca, likewise the only fuel available for 220 miles was 87 octane. It seems that in the last 10 years or so many rural stations have dropped premium fuel.

In my opinion, a proper sport touring bike should have a fuel range of at least 250 miles at normal speeds, which translates to 150-200 miles at basin-and-range speeds. Also, a knock sensor would be nice so I don't have to worry about low octane fuel.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry the range doesn't work out for the kind of riding you do. I have been averaging 54 mpg but most of my riding is on the Blue Ridge Parkway where speed limits are 45 mph.

Sounds like an auxiliary fuel tank is in your future.

I appreciate the bike as is. If I had a 6 gallon tank I would likely fill it up each time and I worry how the extra weight would affect the bike for no benefit (to me).

• Premium Member
When I hear some of the FJ09 owners getting in the 50+ range per gallon I have to wonder? My gauge says 45.5 and at the pump when I do the math I'm averaging 41 MPG. My fuel gauge jumps from full to half at around 100 miles. My ECO indicator is almost always on and I ride conservatively. I use premium fuel. Bike runs smooth as silk. How you guys in the 50+ range doing it?
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

When I hear some of the FJ09 owners getting in the 50+ range per gallon I have to wonder? My gauge says 45.5 and at the pump when I do the math I'm averaging 41 MPG. My fuel gauge jumps from full to half at around 100 miles. My ECO indicator is almost always on and I ride conservatively. I use premium fuel. Bike runs smooth as silk. How you guys in the 50+ range doing it?
dakota's answer is right there: 

where speed limits are 45 mph.
Drag is proportional to velocity squared.  lower speed = better fuel economy.  I also get 45.5-45.6 on the gauge, but I'm typically driving 55-75 mph.

• Premium Member
I just completed a 294 mile day(according to GPS) on 5.45 US gallons. 294/5.45= 53.9 miles per gallon. Most of the day was in the pouring rain so I didn't get above 70 much.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I typically get between 40 and 50 mpg, averaging 45. Depends on the kind of riding and my speed.

And I have never had a problem finding gas stations using google, and I ride in very unincorporated / rural areas of Washington State.

• Premium Member
First of all: the first person who says, "But I like to get off the bike and stretch every 50-100 miles..." gets a virtual slap. 

In my opinion, a proper sport touring bike should have a fuel range of at least 250 miles at normal speeds, which translates to 150-200 miles at basin-and-range speeds. Also, a knock sensor would be nice so I don't have to worry about low octane fuel.
First let me say. I get off the bike between 100 and 140ish miles. (rofl)  I'm 56 years old have RA (ankylosing spondylitis) look it up, it's a peach. May as well do it at a gas station. :)
As for the 250 mile range. There are plenty of bikes that have it. Go buy one.....   Just saying..... 8-)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I'm currently getting 48.3 mpg US gallons (tracked on fuelly.com), gauge says 50.5. I've been tracking my mph on fuelly for just shy of a year (just shy of 9K miles on bike). This is a lot of secondary road commuting 45-70 mph back and forth to work with some fun runs on the weekend. Not overly conservative with the throttle but not ridding all out either.

• Premium Member
Comparing fuel mileage with other riders is like compairing tire mileage. I see guys all the time saying they got over 10,000 miles on the same tires that I cant even squeeze 5,000 out of.

I bet their the same guys that getting the great gas mileage too.

BLB

• Premium Member
Folks who get 50+ mpg may be talking about GB&I gallons, which are 1.2 times US gallons. So for example 40mpg US = (almost exactly) 48mpg GB&I.
No, I'm talking US gallons. 

Let’s go Brandon

Some of it is due to fuel quality and weather. I mention that because my mileage went down in the winter and is now back up, and we are talking about same commute, warmer temps. Summer fuel Vs Winter fuel blend. Same operator, road, speeds etc.

I also have 13k miles on the FJ. Looser engine= better mileage. This thing ate gas when it was tight and not broken in.

Skip

Folks who get 50+ mpg may be talking about GB&I gallons, which are 1.2 times US gallons. So for example 40mpg US = (almost exactly) 48mpg GB&I.

US gallons here and my best to date is 57mpg, but that was mostly downhill with speeds between 40 and 60. In the canyons I'll typically get 50-55 to a low of 44 if I'm on it. On the freeway 43-45 going with traffic at 70-80, if you keep it around 65 55+ is easy, cruise control helps a lot on getting good freeway mileage.

I carry a Rotopax. An extra 1.75 gallons goes a long way. And if I get 40 MPG I'm happy a s a pig in poo.

Expectations rarely are congruent with reality. I didn't like my Strom so I got an FJ. Sure there sure are some characteristics I miss, but I wanted the go juice so I like the FJ. Also I added a super low screen which should help MPG in the summer.

The roto mounts on top of my topbox. Not the best spot for the weight but just empty it as soon as you use 2 gallons. Love, love, love the roto!
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived