Fuel range rant

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's pretty awesome.. but i think that is an extreme example and most people cant really expect that. Also, if you truly are getting 70 MPG then I don't think you are truly enjoying this bike ;) . It's like owning a sports car and never exceeding the posted speed limit. Its begging you to open up that throttle.
I try really hard to maintain composure when I see a stretch of open road, especially after some period in traffic... but I sometimes lose it P-) .
This is true duhs10, an easy leisure ride can yield high mileage and unlike the norm for this bike. I thinks its great that this 115 HP Yamaha can get the same efficiency as a 45HP Honda twin which I never expected due to the performance spread. I'm sure the urban stop lite crawl on 40MPH streets in Tucson would bring the average into low 50MPG.....but I live on the edge of town anyway and I do enjoy the bike without 7 grand upshifts!

@longboy I was just messing around about you not enjoying the bike.. It was more a comment about the crazy amount of fun factor that this vibrant CP3 engine produces than your riding style. Ride at your own pace and enjoy!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 weeks later...
I think I may have a new record for miles and reserve.  Couple days ago I was riding over the North Cascades Park on Route 20.  Going north to south, I didn't realize how far it was to the next gas station.  So going down the long mountain road from around 5500 feet to 2500 feet or so I was on pins and needles assuming I would run out of gas.  I actually lost the engine and coasted into the Shell station.  Here's the numbers:

Miles on reserve:
IMG_1993.jpg

Miles on the tank:
IMG_1995.jpg

Then I put this much gas in the tank:
IMG_1997.jpg

I actually put too much gas in as it was dribbling when I put the bike on the side stand.  But I was going for the record!

Edit:  Ok guys, I'm gonna need some help here.  I'm on the road and using an iPad.  When I try to link the pics there is no option for inserting a link vs making an attachment.  How do I link the picture in here from my Smugmug using an iPad?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
5.11 US Gallons: that's over 19 litres for those the other side of the Great Wall of Trump
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wow, I just love this thread. People who think they're not getting sufficient mileage out of a tank should try riding my Scout for a week, with its 3.3 gallon tank. 115-120 miles on a tank...most all Scout riders fill up at 100 miles.

When I got my FJ as a second bike, I was thrilled with the idea of being able to go almost twice as far, 180 miles, between fill ups! LOL ...I guess it's all really relative after all.

Omar

• 2 weeks later...
at 8,000 miles a few months ago, i reset my average mpg thingo. it was 43.7 at that time.

i just checked it and it says 42.8 right now, with 15,686 miles on the odo.

my bike is nearly exclusively ridden on twisty mountain roads at speeds most people can't keep up with, while two up (40-75mph on the tight stuff), doing hella wheelies and the occasional jump. when on the freeway, i typically cruise around 75, but i'm not on the freeway much.

i did the entirety of hwy 36 in california from red bluff to fortuna on a single tank riding quite sporty. my gas light was flashing at me for the last 10 or so miles. that was around 148 miles between fuel.

i've had to put 87 octane in it several times, as i'm often deep into the middle of no where, pumping gas from a 1950's style pump out of an above ground tank. haha. i've never had any issues.

On most of my bikes I can get 29 MPG or 45 MPG, it depends on the "velocity". I rarely get anywhere close to 5,ooo miles on tires. I rode two weeks in in NC two years ago and needed two new pairs of tires at Wheeler's, a pair of new PR3's lasted a week each.

On most of my bikes I can get 29 MPG or 45 MPG, it depends on the "velocity". I rarely get anywhere close to 5,ooo miles on tires. I rode two weeks in in NC two years ago and needed two new pairs of tires at Wheeler's, a pair of new PR3's lasted a week each.
i'm lucky to see 1500 miles on a set of tires.

• Premium Member
What kind of riding and/or conditions are you riding in? I've got 4500 on my stock tires and they are no where near done yet. I'm not burning rubber every time I start, but I'm not nursing them either. Curious why a few of you are getting such poor wear on your tires.

• Premium Member
What kind of riding and/or conditions are you riding in? I've got 4500 on my stock tires and they are no where near done yet. I'm not burning rubber every time I start, but I'm not nursing them either. Curious why a few of you are getting such poor wear on your tires.
a lot depends on the road surface - as I have stated in this forum, maybe this thread, I live in an area where wet tar has granite chips rolled into it to form a top dressing on roads - this is very abrasive compared to asphalt roads and means my OE rear tyre was replaced at 3500 miles. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived